Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Anyone ever have to secure a fence/gate? Alarms etc.?

I need to secure a fenced in, chain link area for business. It has a sliding gate (not a swinging one) on wheels.

I figure people can get in, but I do want to keep them from trying to drive off with anything. I can put a good lock on the gate, but I'm thinking of some kind of alarm so if they do get in to drive off with something I can be alerted and get the cops there.

has anyone got experience with such things? I know there are signals you can bury in the asphalt to alert when vehicles go over, that may be an option, but just putting this out there.

I'm surprised but I couldn't find a "gate alarm" device designed specifically for such a task, so the gate gets forced open and the security system is alerted. I googled around, didn't find anything exactly for such a task.

Just wondering if anyone has ever found/used such a device, or has another idea for how to tie the outside area to the alarms. I can do motion lights, cameras, all that sort of thing, but at 3am I need something to wake me up too. My system will do that if I can tie something into it that signals.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Anyone ever have to secure a fence/gate? Alarms etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I need to secure a fenced in, chain link area for business. It has a sliding gate (not a swinging one) on wheels.

I figure people can get in, but I do want to keep them from trying to drive off with anything. I can put a good lock on the gate, but I'm thinking of some kind of alarm so if they do get in to drive off with something I can be alerted and get the cops there.

has anyone got experience with such things? I know there are signals you can bury in the asphalt to alert when vehicles go over, that may be an option, but just putting this out there.

I'm surprised but I couldn't find a "gate alarm" device designed specifically for such a task, so the gate gets forced open and the security system is alerted. I googled around, didn't find anything exactly for such a task.

Just wondering if anyone has ever found/used such a device, or has another idea for how to tie the outside area to the alarms. I can do motion lights, cameras, all that sort of thing, but at 3am I need something to wake me up too. My system will do that if I can tie something into it that signals.

That ought to do... Rottweiler...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Re: Anyone ever have to secure a fence/gate? Alarms etc.?

I have two mutts. They will secure the area. I'll even deliver.

Will something like simply safe work?

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I have two mutts. They will secure the area. I'll even deliver.

Will something like simply safe work?
    lol. A dog's not a bad idea. I've joked about getting one for the whole building, let them roam around at night.

I have a top notch security system for the building. Commercial system with dedicated monitoring, cell phone connection, battery backup, all hardwired with no wireless to fail or get blocked or run out of battery. Cameras, motion, a custom built "safe room" with 1/4" steel and then the actual safes inside that room. My paranoia serves me well in that regard. I sleep there 3 nights a week with a bazooka too.

It's the outside parking area that is the problem. I sell things like boats, trailers, cars, trucks from time to time. Things I can't put inside. I need to make sure they are secure. Probably can't stop a jerk with a rock, but I can keep things from driving off.

I can lock some of them up with wheel locks and such, but I want to be alerted something is up. Just putting up a motion sensor can give a bunch of false positives. May do it anyway, but was thinking if I could sensor the gate then I'd know for sure there's a huge issue, and I could tie that right to the alarm that goes straight to the police.

there's a police call station not a mile from the building, they are there in a flash when I need them. Nice to have. Just need to know I need them.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Powerful motion activated floodlights might help, which you already referenced. You may have it lit up well already, but other than dogs on the premises, nothing better than bright lights as a deterrent. The more, the better.

I have an alarm, and I have plans to install a gate in front of my house. I have already found a company that will build an individualized gate for me. Visit https://everlastgates.com/austin-tex...-installation/ if you are interested, my cousin worked with them, and he recommended that I order an entrance from this company. They have reasonable prices and a wide variety of gates.

Is Vinnie your cousin's name?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Fab Five

Take a wheel off the trailers. Use a vehicle to block the gate.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Take a wheel off the trailers. Use a vehicle to block the gate.
    I thought about it with the trailers, and versus a vehicle just putting in removable reinforcement at the gate area.

Also thought about getting a half crazed good ol' boy, putting a trailer on the back lot and telling him to guard it at night.

Last edited by dan_bgblue; 12-01-2021 at 01:47 PM.
    seeya
    dan

Interesting thought Dan. Though boy I was afraid to click on those links....

I'm thinking of a contact closure wiring for the fence. Open the fence, loop fails, alarm is tripped. Just has some issues as far as setting/resetting, etc. b/c they don't make the right contacts for that. I have some other thoughts too that may work, but have been too busy elsewhere and right now there's nothing behind the fence to steal.

Magnets. While gate is closed, magnets complete circuit. Prowler opens gate and circuity is broken completing one for the alarm. Timer attached to alarm circuit and when timer goes off shuts off alarm and it engages motor to shut gate.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 12-01-2021 at 06:32 PM.
    seeya
    dan