Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MJ

MJ

He said today SKJ was transferring hopes now he won't

Re: MJ

I fear he will unfortunately.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

MJ

Lot of people think about it. Ask Bret Bearup or just about anybody that played. But hopefully his recent play and increased usage will keep him here. I really like him.

He didnít look like he wanted to transfer after the game...

Super Kitten

Is thiis same SKJ that quoted about how happy and close he was to the guys on team. He may have been unhappy. He still may be concerned about future playing time. But he genuinely seemed happy after the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopcat View Post
    Is thiis same SKJ that quoted about how happy and close he was to the guys on team. He may have been unhappy. He still may be concerned about future playing time. But he genuinely seemed happy after the tourney.
    That was my take too based on those comments and his demeanor. I’d love to see him back in Lex as a junior.

We need him to stay to help break the I’m a loser if I’m not a pro after 1 or 2 years. Take a normal oars of development like Josh Harrellson did. He’s really coming on strong and we will need him next year.

I really hope he's back!!! Matt sad he didn't know now after Sec but hope he's back

Cal needs to keep a list of guys that transferred and the opportunity they would have had if they stayed because Iím always surprised what opens up if you grabbed it.

I'm probably wrong, but I don't think we have an inordinate number of transfers compared to college basketball as a whole.

(Again, that's just my sense--I'm probably way wrong.)

Bombino

Unless he transfers to a non D1 school he sits for a year. How does that help him? If he has any aspirations at all to play for money staying at UK working with KP and against other quality big men trumps playing time in the little league. Of course, common sense escapes many, but I am thinking he is back now.

MJ

Stay!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Unforgettable

Let's be clear - what Matt said was that he had been hinting at a possible transfer for a couple of weeks and the person he was talking about was SKJ. However, he asked if his play over the weekend might have changed that. He never said SKJ was transferring. Or at least I never heard him say that.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignoranceóit is the illusion of knowledge."
    - Daniel J. Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Lot of people think about it. Ask Bret Bearup or just about anybody that played. But hopefully his recent play and increased usage will keep him here. I really like him.
    Pitino said Dale Brown quit the team about every week, and he's said as much too. As you said, this is routine.

Now, the trick is getting him steered back on course. I hope he has a big tourney and Cal shows some faith in him.

how about starting the kid? He deserves it.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

I love Cal, but it shouldn't have taken him 30 games to figure out SKJ is better than Richards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dokker View Post
    I love Cal, but it shouldn't have taken him 30 games to figure out SKJ is better than Richards.
    And for all the hang wringing about not wanting to "lose" Richards, he's going to lose SKJ instead.

You have to play the guys who are playing best, period. Now I get there's some debate about that with Richards and SKJ, b/c statistically neither is separating much from the other, but clearly Richards is struggling and starting and keeping his "chance", so SKJ IMO rightly feels that he hasn't gotten his "chance", where he gets to start and gets to play longer minutes to see what happens.

Richards' minutes are down now, but he got a lot of chances to find his game early on. SKJ likely feels he hasn't had that chance. I think he got it in the SEC tourney, and I hope he gets another in the NCAA.

He has a great chance to really make himself here. Davidson's best player is a big at his position who is a range shooter but not super fast or strong. Then if we win we play the best big man in the country.

This is an opportunity for him to really show his stuff. I hope he takes it and really excels, decides to return and becomes a big player for us next year, then off to the lottery.

It has more to do with SKJ buying into what the staff wanted him to do defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    It has more to do with SKJ buying into what the staff wanted him to do defensively.
    I agree it's defense, but IMO it's more just learning to do it by instinct rather than resisting doing it in some way. His response would be that he didn't get the in-game minutes to really develop that feeling.

the reality is he's played more minutes than I thought, but he's also had some real layoffs and some early hooks.it's the early hooks that I think are most to blame for the sense of players not getting a shot. They do get more minutes than one thinks, but it seems they are on a quicker leash.

It could be all perception too. I dunno anymore.

Richards has averaged less than two minutes more than SKJ on the season. SKJ went through a stretch after the Mizzou away game and prior to the Florida game where his PT was way down; at that time Vanderbilt's minutes were going way up.

The best way to get more PT is to earn it, with SKJ the pathway to PT has always been improving his defense. This past weekend he went out and did the job defensively and earned the PT.

The PT distribution for the SEC tourney: Richards: 21 minutes; SKJ: 47 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I agree it's defense, but IMO it's more just learning to do it by instinct rather than resisting doing it in some way. His response would be that he didn't get the in-game minutes to really develop that feeling.

the reality is he's played more minutes than I thought, but he's also had some real layoffs and some early hooks.it's the early hooks that I think are most to blame for the sense of players not getting a shot. They do get more minutes than one thinks, but it seems they are on a quicker leash.

It could be all perception too. I dunno anymore.
    Learning comes in practice, during games you have to execute.

Learning comes in practice, during games you have to execute.
    True to an extent, but nothing can simulate games, and there are lots of kids who are practice players or game guys too. Not every player will translate that 1:1.

Kids won't feel like they got their "shot" till the get it in games. If SKJ is late to practice etc. then that's another issue, and maybe last year with him sitting so much there were things to address, but if you don't boot him you have to give him a shot here and there to see if he can play through and gain that confidence.

Hard to get much confidence in practice for some kids. It just is.

Practice is practice. Games are where it matters. Denny Crum won 2 titles and I heard him say many times some players you just couldn't get going in practice, but when the lights came on and they were put on the stage they had "it", while others didn't.

Citizen, to a comment you made earlier.... I hope SKJ does get continue to get his chance to shine and Cal doesn't forget him. This isn't just a Cal thing, but coaches in general (all sports) will have someone play great a few games then suddenly give them no PT. And when asked, the coaches always fall back on not practicing well. Sometimes great practice players are just that... great practice players.

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    Let's be clear - what Matt said was that he had been hinting at a possible transfer for a couple of weeks and the person he was talking about was SKJ. However, he asked if his play over the weekend might have changed that. He never said SKJ was transferring. Or at least I never heard him say that.
    Yes thatís how I heard it as well. The OPís message is misleading IMO.

Super Kitten

I know Cal has gone small a lot this year, especially the second half of the season, but Iíve felt that the times that SKJ has been given an opportunity heís played well. Given that, Iím not surprised at all that SKJ was effective in the SEC tournament.

Itís almost like Nick Richardsí issues have negatively impacted not only his playing time but the playing time for the position as a whole.

As far as Nick Richards, I still think he can be a very productive college player eventually, and has the potential for a long pro career as well. But it will take another year or two in college before he gets there.

For whatever reason he has some of the worst hands Iíve ever seen in a basketball player. Not sure why that is or how to fix it, but he seems unable to physically grasp the ball half the time. And it seems to have gotten worse as the year progresses.. Heís almost unplayable at this point, as heís a walking turnover.

So youíre saying he needs to be a step slow on all rotations like the guy in front of him, ha jk

Really hope he stays. Like Humphries last year, showing great improvement, comfortability, and potential at the right time. Next year he could be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    So you’re saying he needs to be a step slow on all rotations like the guy in front of him, ha jk
    lol.

That's the thing Larry Vaught poitned out. Yes PJ is playing better, and Vanderbilt, but not Richards. Cal can justify playing those guys ahead of SKJ but not Richards, and not starting Richards.

IMO you start SKJ tomorrow, tell him to not get quick fouls and see how he does. Give the kid a shot at taking on the job. Otherwise start PJ, but I'd rather have SKJ get the quick foul than PJ in this game.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 03-14-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Analytics favor Richards heavily.

This is Kentucky basketball, not an elementary program where every kid is guaranteed a certain amount of PT each game.

SKJ compliments the inside play PJ is starting to provide where Nick, not so much. As far as which is the best back to the basket center it’s likely Richards. But neither are physical enough to play under the rim

ďBefore I leave Iíd like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    ďI would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.Ē
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Analytics favor Richards heavily.

This is Kentucky basketball, not an elementary program where every kid is guaranteed a certain amount of PT each game.
    There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

No one is saying everyone should play. But you can't treat kids like machines either as Cal says. Sometimes you have to let them play through stuff to see if the light goes on.

Cal does that a lot with some kids, very little w others. I imagine that is based on practice and upside, but I reserve the right to disagree with him some.