Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Villanova’s weak schedule

By all means I think nova is a great team and probably would handle us, but I’ve gotta be honest, I think we could have been 30-4 with a schedule that weak. I know it shows up as decent by the metrics but name me a team that we would have struggled with on their schedule. Tennessee, Gonzaga, and Xavier? That’s it? I’ve always believed it’s not about how your schedule is rated because you could have a poor sos and play ten top 25 games and to me it’s harder to come out on top in that scenario vs the balanced schedule and 4 top 25 Games. Nova would have 6-7 losses with our schedule.
    Go Cats!

Re: Villanova’s weak schedule

Nova has moved ahead with the weakened Big East.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Super Kitten

Big East is not weak.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopcat View Post
    Big East is not weak.
    Agreed. According to Kenpom they played the 20th toughest schedule in the nation.

Compared to past it is not as strong.

This is kind of like trying to convince me Arizona is not that good either.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    This is kind of like trying to convince me Arizona is not that good either.
    Who has tried to say Arizona is not good. I think they are good. I’ve watched them all year here on the West Coast.
    Ayton is a talent.
    One can both believe AZ is good and also not think UK got screwed in playing them.

Having said that, AZ is not nearly as good as a few on this board all the sudden made them.
    Before Sunday, I can’t think of one thread on here saying they were good. The opposite actually.
    According to five thirty eight.com they have a 6% chance of making it to the Final Four. That’s 17th best in the field.
    And their other metrics just aren’t very good. I wish I lived in KY so I was closer to a few of you guys. I would gladly make a bet with all of you for dinner etc on AZ’s chances of winning it all. I think they are slim to none. If I’m wrong I’m wrong.

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    Who has tried to say Arizona is not good. I think they are good. I’ve watched them all year here on the West Coast.
    Ayton is a talent.
    One can both believe AZ is good and also not think UK got screwed in playing them.

Having said that, AZ is not nearly as good as a few on this board all the sudden made them.
    Before Sunday, I can’t think of one thread on here saying they were good. The opposite actually.
    According to five thirty eight.com they have a 6% chance of making it to the Final Four. That’s 17th best in the field.
    And their other metrics just aren’t very good. I wish I lived in KY so I was closer to a few of you guys. I would gladly make a bet with all of you for dinner etc on AZ’s chances of winning it all. I think they are slim to none. If I’m wrong I’m wrong.
    Arizona is the 6th best bet in Vegas at 12-1. Easily exceeding the 4 seed expectation. Daryl prior to brackets said he wanted anybody but Arizona. Preseason top 5 with multiple pros.

I could care less if they win it all. Just care if they beat us!

Arizona is the 6th best bet in Vegas at 12-1. Easily exceeding the 4 seed expectation. Daryl prior to brackets said he wanted anybody but Arizona. Preseason top 5 with multiple pros.

I could care less if they win it all. Just care if they beat us!
    Again, not saying they aren’t good. Just not the powerhouse some all the sudden are making them.

Here is a good question for a couple of you: If we play them in 2nd round, who will be the favorite?

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    Again, not saying they aren’t good. Just not the powerhouse some all the sudden are making them.

Here is a good question for a couple of you: If we play them in 2nd round, who will be the favorite?
    Arizona will be a 3 pt favorite. They are easily regarded as the top 4 seed in tourney. That is my point. Did not say they are best team just one of the most talented and highly regarded teams out there. Odds are more equivalent to the 2 seeds.

I see Arizona as having top 5 talent.

Arizona will be favored 4-5 points

I guess what i'm saying is when I look at this...

villanovawildcatsbasketballschedule.jpg

Vs this...

2018ColorScehdule.jpg

I feel like even this year we would have had a little more success than 10 losses. I'd put us at 7, vs their 4 and its a tough year being so young. Now like I said, Villanova is a tough team so not really comparing us to them, but I could see UK being a 3 seed with a schedule like this.
    Go Cats!

FWIW I watch a LOT of Big East hoops.

Respectfully, if your premise is that the Big East is a weak league, you're wrong.

One cannot compare the old and new BE. There's no logic in that argument.

It's the only league that is "ALL" Basketball, NO football. Can you imagine their teams/coaches/fans being extra passionate about hoops?

JMO. Take it FWIW.

The Big East today has allowed Villanova to dominate as the past Big East did not and those are two true statements.
    Even compare Jay Wright’s record.

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    The Big East today has allowed Villanova to dominate as the past Big East did not and those are two true statements.
    Even compare Jay Wright’s record.
    Was the Big East weak 2 years ago when Villanova won the a National Championship?

Was the Big East weak 2 years ago when Villanova won the a National Championship?
    SEC was weak when Kentucky won the 1996 national championship. I've never thought a tough schedule was a requirement to win a title, but many do have it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    Exactly.

If a team dominates a conference, and that somehow means that team is therefore "weaker", then I suppose we should place asterisks on some of UKs titles.

Bottom line... conference strength is relative, over time, and a strong league is best determined by it's depth and how it competes outside AND inside of a league.

I am unaware of any profound evidence that the BE is in any way deficient in those categories.

JMO.
    I don't think it means anything if the team is good. A lot of people think you have to be beaten up in your regular season to be battle tested, but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I don't think it means anything if the team is good. A lot of people think you have to be beaten up in your regular season to be battle tested, but I don't.
    Well, "anyone" can be beaten early this year.

There are no beasts, but Villanova is tough, has experience few other teams have in the postseason, and DEEP very good guard play.

They'll be one of the toughest outs IMO.

If a team is good the conference does not dictate one way or the other.
    I stand by my comments Villanova as feasted off the new Big East.

The premise of my arguement was more along the line of a weaker schedule with few teams that are likely to beat you will result in fewer losses thus a better seed. A schedule like nova. I’ll put it this way would we have lost 10 games with their schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    The premise of my arguement was more along the line of a weaker schedule with few teams that are likely to beat you will result in fewer losses thus a better seed. A schedule like nova. I’ll put it this way would we have lost 10 games with their schedule?
    To me, the demon in the mix is that Wright recruits to compete in that league, and he's DAMN good at it.

The BE is all the tough sked 'nova needs to prep for the Dance, but don't imagine UK would float through that league.

It's underrated most years IMO... not saying you're saying that though.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

As mentioned Wright’s numbers would be interesting at the end of the old Big East and I honestly don’t think he has changed his recruiting.

Speaking of Villanova... Aaron Torres tweeted out a reminder (and Darryl has touched on this point in the past as well) that outside of their championship year, Villanova hasn't advanced past the first weekend of the tournament since 2009. Incredible stat, let that sink in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dokker View Post
    Speaking of Villanova... Aaron Torres tweeted out a reminder (and Darryl has touched on this point in the past as well) that outside of their championship year, Villanova hasn't advanced past the first weekend of the tournament since 2009. Incredible stat, let that sink in.
    Might be why my gut doesn’t trust them. Ha

Well I just won them the title starting this thread I’m sure

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    Well I just won them the title starting this thread I’m sure
    Oh, so you have my power, too!

Thought this was interesting...

It seems like virtually overnight Jay Wright went from “coach that can’t win the big one” to one of the most respected names in the sport. In his defense, a national championship tends to do that for a guy. Still, the simple reality is that as great as that championship was a few years ago, it was the exception for Jay Wright, not the rule. Get this, outside of the one NCAA title run, Villanova hasn’t made it past the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament since 2009. Nine years! They’ve lost twice in the second round as a one-seed, in 2015 to NC State and last year to Wisconsin.