Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

DJ Jeffries commits to Kentucky

D.J. Jeffries tells @PrepCircuit he has committed to Kentucky - UK's first 2019 commit breaks down his decision prepcircuit.com/news_article/s

IMG_2580.jpg
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 03-14-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Re: DJ Jefferies commits to Kentucky

Great!! Welcome to the best young man!

Great way to start the week!
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

I've seen him compared as a better version of Darius Miller . Much more aggressive. Anybody want to weigh in on that ?

DJ Jefferies commits to Kentucky

What about Wiseman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    What about Wiseman? Never mind I read the thread title wrong...Im old.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Great pickup and Even though he is in the greater Memphis area I assume this means a Hardaway hire at Memphis won’t Have an impact here?

Excellent news.

Congratulations great to have you

Bombino

Jefferies commits first; Hardaway comes on staff and in comes Wiseman. Hardaway pipeline open for business. Might as well day dream a little after a great weekend.

Cal would not have taken the commit this early if he thought DJ would flip.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Welcome to the Big Blue Nation D.J. Cant wait to see you in action as a Cat

Before I leave Id like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by LakeCat View Post
    Jefferies commits first; Hardaway comes on staff and in comes Wiseman. Hardaway pipeline open for business. Might as well day dream a little after a great weekend.

Hardaway has no interest in being an assistant anywhere.

But he also has no impact on either one of these recruitments IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    Hardaway has no interest in being an assistant anywhere.

But he also has no impact on either one of these recruitments IMO.
    He's going to find it difficult to get a head coaching job at the college level with zero college coaching experience.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    He's going to find it difficult to get a head coaching job at the college level with zero college coaching experience.
    Memphis will hire him b/c of the legacy, but he has no experience on the job. He has the name, it will get his foot in doors, but that leaves a lot of on the job training.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Great pickup!

One service has him a 4 star which is evidence why I only use services for reference and determine rankings based on what I see. He is top 15 in the class

247 has him 4 stars and ranked 27
    Espn has him 5 stars and ranked 17

Espn is closer
    Last edited by Doc; 03-13-2018 at 08:27 AM.

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

Quote Originally Posted by Powermaker View Post
    I've seen him compared as a better version of Darius Miller . Much more aggressive. Anybody want to weigh in on that ?
    From what I've just read of him that actually sounds like a great comparison. He's a tweener like Miller, plays with a higher motor unlike Miller, and can shoot like Miller (prob better than Miller at the same stage).

Love the no drama pick UK early.
    Love that he can shoot and plays hard.
    Love his humility.
    Love that he's friends with Wiseman.

I have not seen the jump shot that is alluded to above. Id put him a good shooter to 17 to 20 feet. Definately runs the floor well

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I have not seen the jump shot that is alluded to above. Id put him a good shooter to 17 to 20 feet. Definately runs the floor well
    Shot 34% in AAU season going into senior year. For a 6'7 combo forward that's pretty strong. From what we've seen with good college shooters like Booker, Monk, and Trae Young, their EYBL numbers were deflated a little and when they got to campus they took better shots and made more. Seeing that percentage now, with another year of high school, leads me to expect him to be a pretty consistent and reliable shooter.

Jerry Meyer who lives in the south and has seen him a fair bit says he's a good shooter. He shoots a higher percentage than Gabriel, Darius Miller, or PPatt did at the same stage. I think we can expect him to be more of an asset in that area.

I'm told he has been working hard on his shot.
    Follow me on Twitter @krcrider

Quote Originally Posted by patrick54 View Post
    Shot 34% in AAU season going into senior year. For a 6'7 combo forward that's pretty strong. From what we've seen with good college shooters like Booker, Monk, and Trae Young, their EYBL numbers were deflated a little and when they got to campus they took better shots and made more. Seeing that percentage now, with another year of high school, leads me to expect him to be a pretty consistent and reliable shooter.

Jerry Meyer who lives in the south and has seen him a fair bit says he's a good shooter. He shoots a higher percentage than Gabriel, Darius Miller, or PPatt did at the same stage. I think we can expect him to be more of an asset in that area.

He is only a Jr, not a Senior. 34% from a forward isn't very good IMO. I expected better numbers than that.

I'm curious as to why you believe their EYBL or other summer numbers are deflated. I've not seen that, and actually expect the opposite due to better athletes overall, better defenses and more structure on offense (ie: less reliance on one player). Bookers shot improved once he got to UK, in that he got the shot off much quicker. I credit UK for much of that. As for Young, his numbers are probably better because his teammates are not as good as his EYBL one (LOL). He actually has to score more at OK than he did for MOKAN where he was teamed with Jontay and Micheal Porter.

Percentages tend to go up due to players taking fewer poor shots.

U
    He is only a Jr, not a Senior. 34% from a forward isn't very good IMO. I expected better numbers than that.

I'm curious as to why you believe their EYBL or other summer numbers are deflated. I've not seen that, and actually expect the opposite due to better athletes overall, better defenses and more structure on offense (ie: less reliance on one player). Bookers shot improved once he got to UK, in that he got the shot off much quicker. I credit UK for much of that. As for Young, his numbers are probably better because his teammates are not as good as his EYBL one (LOL). He actually has to score more at OK than he did for MOKAN where he was teamed with Jontay and Micheal Porter.
    I assumed his 34% shooting stat was 3 pt% . That's respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by Powermaker View Post
    U

I assumed his 34% shooting stat was 3 pt% . That's respectable.
    Yes, it was 3pt%, I saw the same stat.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Percentages tend to go up due to players taking fewer poor shots.
    This. More talent around them so they get better shots. Booker and monks percentages were like low 30,s on the circuit.

And doc for a 6'7 guy going into his Junior year to make more than a third of his threes, that's really strong and shows great potential. Don't know what more you could ask of him at that stage

Quote Originally Posted by patrick54 View Post
    This. More talent around them so they get better shots. Booker and monks percentages were like low 30,s on the circuit.

And doc for a 6'7 guy going into his Junior year to make more than a third of his threes, that's really strong and shows great potential. Don't know what more you could ask of him at that stage
    While the shot selection may improve (debatable since the defense in the summer circuits isn't always the most disciplined leading to multiple fast breaks), the college defense is FAR superior. One of the major criticism of freshmen is the lack of defensive skills. As for Booker, as I stated above, his shot improved at UK due to a quicker release which I'll assume is something that was worked on at UK. I tend to credit work, practice and instruction as the reason for improvement but in most cases the mechanics are what they are.

It is interesting that you use "low 30's" for Monk and Booker as not being great yet 34% for Jefferies is a plus. However I've not found any stats on Monk or Booker from EYBL. I never thought to save them, but I doubt Monks 3-pt average was in the low 30's considering under strengths its list 3-pt shooting...although I did find this

As a junior at Bentonville this season, he averaged 26.9 points, 6.7 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.9 steals per game while shooting 48.4% from the field and 34.8% from behind the three-point line and led the Tigers to the class 7A state championship game.
    at UK he shot 39% from behind the arc, which is a significant improvement. However his OVERALL shooting percentage dropped (he shot 45% at UK compared to 48 in HS)

As for Jefferies...I stated he was a "good shooter". 34% from behind the line is something I'd consider as good. However he isn't primarily a perimeter shooter. His bread and butter isn't going to be what D. Booker did. Of course much of that is dependent on quantity. Somebody who makes 1 for 3 isn't near the shooter as somebody who goes 150 out of 450, although both shot 33.3%.
    Last edited by Doc; 03-14-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Okay no one is going to point out that his last name is Jeffries?
    Don't panic

Re: DJ Jeffries commits to Kentucky

Doc, I think Monks EYBL 3 percentage was in that 33% range. Not sure what became of the old EYBL stats.