Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

TV Ted Valentine snubbed in NCAA tournament - blame UNC-CH

The Joel Berry incident, where he turned his back on him during a game in January.

Valentine apologized to Berry and UNC-CH coach Roy Williams. Worked the ACC tournament semifinal game between Duke and UNC-CH.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...caa-tournament

Re: TV Ted Valentine snubbed in NCAA tournament - blame UNC-CH

Maybe I misunderstood this incident from the beginning, but I've seen more than one official turn his back to a player and a coach when he's done hearing it. it's not like he hit him with a magical third technical (also a TV Teddy original iirc).

Valentine has done some things to warrant rebuke, that wasn't one of them IMO. If this had been a UK player we aren't having that talk. I have to wonder if that's not a convenient excuse. Personally if the NCAA would start to filter out some of these guys and their club I'd be thrilled.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

All else aside, he does not deserve the honor of working the tourney

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Maybe I misunderstood this incident from the beginning, but I've seen more than one official turn his back to a player and a coach when he's done hearing it. it's not like he hit him with a magical third technical (also a TV Teddy original iirc).

Valentine has done some things to warrant rebuke, that wasn't one of them IMO. If this had been a UK player we aren't having that talk. I have to wonder if that's not a convenient excuse. Personally if the NCAA would start to filter out some of these guys and their club I'd be thrilled.
    IMHO there's a difference between turning a back on a player or coach and continuing with play, and doing what Valentine did which actually stopped play from continuing (as well as showing up the player in the process).
    All I did was stand up to a long laundry list of people who passed away today who couldn't stand up because what was done was wrong.--RP, 8/26/09

I bet if he does that against any other school, he’s working the tourney.

Just don’t anger UNC-CH

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    IMHO there's a difference between turning a back on a player or coach and continuing with play, and doing what Valentine did which actually stopped play from continuing (as well as showing up the player in the process).
    Was it a bush league, "i'm in charge" move? yes. how is that different from anything else in Valentines' 30 year career?

He did tell Berry to stop complaining, and maybe Berry was whining the whole game. It was a really odd reaction by Teddy IMO, as you said basically stopping play on the in bounds, but is it worthy of a ban from the NCAA tournament when he was ostensibly good enough to have worked the Final Four the year before?

I'm not defending it, but Valentine to his credit apologized and said he made a mistake, and that act in and of itself didn't impact the outcome of the game like the actions of someone like Higgins.

It wasn't good, but I don't see how it was a huge enough outrage to be the reason he's out of the nCAA tourney. I think it's just a convenient excuse for the head of officials to use to get him out, and that it is probably tied to other factors or his overall attitude or performance.

And I'm not unhappy with Valentine getting a rebuke, b/c he is a guy who has long acted like he's large and in charge on the court. He's not top on my list, Higgins is my #1, and Shows is after him b/c I don't think he's any good, but he's on the list.

But like Flounder also said, I'm betting if this hadn't been a UNC player it's a non issue, again unless it's just an excuse for something they wanted to do anyway and didn't think they could get away with before this incident.

Blog Entries

We'll never know, but my guess is that wasn't the only time he's been called on his actions. This may have been the straw that broke the camels back.
    All I did was stand up to a long laundry list of people who passed away today who couldn't stand up because what was done was wrong.--RP, 8/26/09

Anytime a crooked ref is dismissed its a good thing imo.

The ones that appear blind or biased are usually crooked. And I know some dont want to believe it's happening in todays game, but it is.
    When consistantly poor officiating results in awards and big games for those individuals, well.. you can bet on it.
    TV Teddy crossed a line set by the underbelly of college sports. Damaging the facade of fair play.
    Last edited by kingcat; 03-12-2018 at 07:55 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    We'll never know, but my guess is that wasn't the only time he's been called on his actions. This may have been the straw that broke the camels back.
    He was suspended by the B10+? when he gave Bobby Knight the magic third technical, but that was back before Color TV.

That's my guess as well. They have decided he's over the top or whatever, and this was just the last nail and a convenient way to take action.

But if that's the case why have him in the final Four last year? They could have had him in the tourney and still weeded him out around the E8 or something. Is the cronyism of the officials that strong?

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I bet if he does that against any other school, he’s working the tourney.

Just don’t anger UNC-CH
    Agree. Remember this is the same NCAA that after John Higgins screwed UK in favor of UNC last year (to the point national media were questioning what was going on with the officiating), instead of reprimanding Higgins, the powers that be rewarded him with a slot in the Final Four the following week.

I saw nothing wrong with what Teddy did. Players shouldn’t expect to engage officials in dialogue. We saw this happen in the UT game, with Williams and others constantly engaging the refs to sway calls.

https://northcarolina.247sports.com/...ent-116166851/

UNC fans are pounding their chests over this. Boy they really think they are superior. I suppose they completely run the NCAA right now. This is really pathetic!

Peace

Richard (CW)

Teddy loves the limelight but hes far from the worst official out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post

UNC fans are pounding their chests over this. Boy they really think they are superior. I suppose they completely run the NCAA right now. This is really pathetic!

Peace

Richard (CW)
    I hate everything UNC and Duke. I honestly don't know how you live among them.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post

Peace

Richard (CW)
    In terms of NCAA influence they are superior. They don't deserve it, their behavior has been the most scandalous of any college IMO in the history of the NCAA, but it's hard to argue the level of influence they have over the NCAA bureaucracy.

IMO they have Emmert in their back pocket.

With Valentine getting a rebuke the likes of which we've never seen done to an official in the the NCAA, the guy was in the final four last year, and Higgins getting a Final Four after his biased treatment for them and against us, it's pretty clear how things are going.

The bias is becoming so obvious people are tuning out.

I never saw the incident. Apparently it was worse than what referees normally do when they ignore me. Regardless, seems very much an overreaction IF Ted Valentine is one of the best NCAA officials. By most accounts, he is--even if we don't like him. The bar is set pretty low, and he's over it.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    In terms of NCAA influence they are superior. They don't deserve it, their behavior has been the most scandalous of any college IMO in the history of the NCAA, but it's hard to argue the level of influence they have over the NCAA bureaucracy.

IMO they have Emmert in their back pocket.

With Valentine getting a rebuke the likes of which we've never seen done to an official in the the NCAA, the guy was in the final four last year, and Higgins getting a Final Four after his biased treatment for them and against us, it's pretty clear how things are going.

The bias is becoming so obvious people are tuning out.
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, disgustingly yes.

UNC pays Emmert plain and simple. Im fairly sure it went through Jordan.
    But every member of the ncaa is complicit in allowing it. Even us.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I never saw the incident.
    Ask and yea shall receive. It is over the top, but iirc him making up a 3rd technical on Knight didn't keep him out of the NCAA tourney that year, and that was a complete violation of the rules.

He's been in every Final Four for many years, so he's been as you said considered one of the very top officials. For this one incident to earn him a complete ban is very suspect.

either they wanted him out for other reasons or a host of reasons or it really is that he dared to cross UNC and they made sure he was out as a signal.

I'd rather believe the former, but I fear the latter is closer to the truth.

Here's the video. This has commentary but it shows the full play develop, with the questioned foul and no call.

Here's another view, and shows some of his other antics, including his absurd Technical on Anthony Davis in 2012

Notice none of those other antics got him blackballed from the NCAA tourney. Just crossing UNC.

To me what TV did was a bit much, but it’s also like I’m tired of your incessant whining... plus not knowing what Berry was saying. Perhaps, and it’s a stretch, but perhaps he did him a favor by turning his back rather than popping him with a T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    To me what TV did was a bit much, but it’s also like I’m tired of your incessant whining... plus not knowing what Berry was saying. Perhaps, and it’s a stretch, but perhaps he did him a favor by turning his back rather than popping him with a T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly. I can see getting fed up with the UNC whining. He was over the top, but not so over the top as this result. In the end it was a 5 or so second delay in the game, Berry put the ball down and Valentine turned around and game play resumed.

it was a BS move, but as the video above shows, hardly his first, and he got a walk for all of those.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
    Teddy loves the limelight but hes far from the worst official out there.
    I agree. He makes most calls correct, however he is more interested in getting "TV" time. Wants to make the game about him.

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

I never saw the incident. Apparently it was worse than what referees normally do when they ignore me. Regardless, seems very much an overreaction IF Ted Valentine is one of the best NCAA officials. By most accounts, he is--even if we don't like him. The bar is set pretty low, and he's over it.
    The bar is so low that its like a limbo line

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

Thanks for the video. Yeah, TV Teddie, TV Teddied, alright. But not worthy of discipline, IMHO. The commentary was right, he was making it about himself. But doesn't he always?

Thanks for the video. Yeah, TV Teddie, TV Teddied, alright. But not worthy of discipline, IMHO. The commentary was right, he was making it about himself. But doesn't he always?
    If that episode was "making it about himself" enough to be booted from the NCAA tourney after being in probably 15 Final Fours or more, then he should probably be summarily shot for his career contributions to making it about himself.

I can't disagree with BEvans, this one stands out for the sheer audacity of the stunt. No doubt about it.

I just dont see that rising to the level of cutting him from the NCAA tourney given that he's well known for drawing attention to himself, he apparently did apologize, and my belief that if this was anyone other than Duke or UNC he'd still be calling those games.