Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Heading to Chicago this weekend

Taking a little weekend trip to Chicago with my girlfriend and was hoping to get some suggestions on entertainment, dining really wanting local, clubs with live music, just anything and everything.
    Staying at the Palmer House.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Re: Heading to Chicago this weekend

Only been to Chicago once, for about 48 hours in conjunction with seeing our daughter graduate from boot camp. We took a food tour, which was a good way to combine seeing some interesting sights in The Loop with trying some local favorites--pizza, dogs, etc.

Somebody told us instead of paying to go to the observation deck at what used to be called the Sears Tower, use that money and go to the bar on the 96th floor of the John Hancock Center to get drinks and food. Good call--great view and a good time with Mrs. BEvans.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 03-06-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Thanks will definitely hit the Hancock center.

Giordano’s Pizza is the best pizza I’ve ever had....it’s basically upside down pizza with the sauce on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 03-06-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Like good pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Like good pizza!
    We had the deep dish meat and more meat. There’s a location on Rush Str, and another at Millennium Park.... also N Chicago area.

I suppose it depends on who you ask, and I haven’t eaten at any others, but my daughter took me there when I was visiting right after Thanksgiving...She has since moved to VA Beach, I was talking to her the other day and Giordano’s came up, she told me they ship. I’m going to give it a shot.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Thanks for the tip.

Fab Five

Lou Minaldi’s for Pizza, the very best. Roll the dice and go to Buddy Guy’s Legends or B.L.U.E.S. for the best in music.
    Real Fan since 1958

Hey thanks, excited and ready to fly out tomorrow!

So I asked my daughter about the best pizza. She told me the locals prefer Pequods, she took me to Giordanos because there isn’t a Pquods in North Lake. She also said Lou Malnati’s is as good as Giordano’s.

Again, just an opinion, I only ate at Giordano’s, next trip up I’ll try one of the others.

Another note on Chicago specialty food. Chicago style Italian beef. Again, I only tried one spot, Portillo’s. Kind of like a French dip sandwich only a lot better. Here’s a good read on Italian Beef

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining...714-story.html

Couple of other restaurants I tried in N. Chicago...

Pretty good steak house, Wildfire $30-$50 steaks. I heard Joe’s was really good.

We also ate at a place called the Shanty, pretty big menu with a wide variety everything from burgers, to steaks, seafood, and specialty dishes. I had the apple brandy pork shanks, very, very good. The place is fun and friendly.

Enjoy...

Last edited by blueboss; 03-09-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Safe travels cmj, and listen to folks like blueboss, catonahottinroof, dan, mick, and others and you will NOT have a meal that is not worth remembering.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Well? How was the Windy City?

Enjoyed but really cold!
    Was a fast trip but good to get away, we had pizza at Giordanos it was ok didn’t blow me away.
    The view in the bar in the Hancock building was great also.
    Overall was not that happy with the trip but figure just need to go back when it’s warmer.
    Walking down the miracle mile was not all that thrilling either.
    When I visit cities I like to see what the city is like the old style shops and food and really did not experience that other than staying at the Palmer House.

We went in November when it was cold but not brutal like in the middle of winter. Probably like what you experienced. I agree, the cold probably affected our enjoyment of our trip--especially Mrs. BEvans, who doesn't do well in cold/windy weather. We've talked about going back in warm weather.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I like Chicago, spent some time there in my high school and early out of college years, but I don't love it. I stayed in Evanston most of that time, liked being not quite as overwhelmed as in the heart of the city, but have stayed in the loop a few times too. Lots of stuff to do like any big city, but also fairly spread out in ways, and I have to say I prefer something more Lexington sized where you aren't up against huge buildings and blocks of big city. Northwestern and Evanston isn't nearly like that, it's far more a small college town than a big city, but you can be in the city on the L in no time, that's where I'd probably live if I had to go there. Several areas like that there of course, but I was at Northwestern, and I did like being on the lake.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

OH, and it is dang cold. Too cold for me. Would freeze there even at Thanksgiving. Summer was nice b/c not hot.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Enjoyed but really cold!
    Was a fast trip but good to get away, we had pizza at Giordanos it was ok didn’t blow me away.
    The view in the bar in the Hancock building was great also.
    Overall was not that happy with the trip but figure just need to go back when it’s warmer.
    Walking down the miracle mile was not all that thrilling either.
    When I visit cities I like to see what the city is like the old style shops and food and really did not experience that other than staying at the Palmer House.
    Sorry about the pizza not being to your liking. I’m always leery about recommending restaurants, especially because as I mentioned I hadn’t tried the other top recommended pizza joints.

I owe you one...