Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Where would you live?

If you had the chance to return to Kentucky after being gone over 35 years. What town/city would you consider and why? Or would you choose another state/town?
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Re: Where would you live?

In Kentucky there's no place I'd rather be than where I live. I like Lexington and downtown. Good balance of urban but not so urban it's a big city, so I can walk from bar and restaurant to bar and restaurant but not feel like I have to google to see a tree or a field.

There are other places I'd go outside of Kentucky, but within the state I'll stay where I'm at. It works for me.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Where would you live?

Lexington. Never lived there, but nice size, has everything culturally you need and CitizenBBN has broken in all the gentleman's clubs.

If you need bigger, close enough to Louisville and Cincinnati for even an evening venture.

Kentucky basketball, football, baseball and volleyball have been such enjoyable parts of my life, even from afar; I love Keeneland and the community is welcoming.

I had a job offer when I was leaving Montgomery to join a firm in Lexington and ended up taking one in Birmingham instead - which I don't regret, but I do often wonder how things would have been different had I chosen that route.

The harder question for me would be my second choice. I have lived in a couple of communities that were nice and I could return to, and both would have the advantage of being close to my oldest daughter, and perhaps my middle daughter soon, as well as my father. I have also very much enjoyed visiting some of the smaller communities throughout the Commonwealth and believe that I can make a home there as well.

Anyplace in Kentucky? I think I'd probably pick Danville. Beautiful small town, home of Centre College* so you have activities that college towns provide but it doesn't overwhelm the small-town feel. Close enough to Lexington that you can get in easily for UK sporting events and bigger city conveniences.

2nd choice would be where I live (Louisville), which I never thought I'd say when I moved here in '95. But it's really a collection of small neighborhoods and has a lot of activities to commend it. I put it 2nd because you can't get a house with any land around you if you're living here. You can if you live in or around a small town like Danville.

*--I'm a Centre alum, so I may be a little biased here.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I like living in Louisville but if I could I think I’d have a few acres somewhere near Midway. Beautiful bluegrass region and rural but close enough to city amenities with Lexington <30 minutes away, Louisville about an hour an Cincinnati a little over an hour.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Rupp's Runt

I would never, ever, ever live in Louisville again.
    I lived in Leitchfield for a short period of time. I really liked it there, very rural, and if you have the right property in the right place you could conceivably go for weeks without seeing another human being, which would be fine by me.
    I liked the Richmond area when I went to the Police Academy there, would maybe like living somewhere outside of Richmond.
    Really do not care about living in any larger town anywhere in the U.S. Too damn many people. If I turn around and see somebody standing in close proximity to me, then there's too damn many people around. But that's just me.

Have you thought about Bardstown?
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I would never, ever, ever live in Louisville again.
    I lived in Leitchfield for a short period of time. I really liked it there, very rural, and if you have the right property in the right place you could conceivably go for weeks without seeing another human being, which would be fine by me.
    I liked the Richmond area when I went to the Police Academy there, would maybe like living somewhere outside of Richmond.
    Really do not care about living in any larger town anywhere in the U.S. Too damn many people. If I turn around and see somebody standing in close proximity to me, then there's too damn many people around. But that's just me.
    I like Leitchfield a lot. You wouldnt know the place now with the big hospital, the bypass and such.

E-town is a nice, larger city (very spread out) that is growing at a very fast pace. Lots of industry drives the hefty economy.
    Yet it maintains a little of the rural feel

Anything one would want can be found there. Called Hub City for good reason.
    Close to Louisville, (1 hour drive) Bowling Green (1 hour +15), Lexington (1 1/2 hour), and Owensboro (1 1/2 hr)
    Last edited by kingcat; 03-05-2018 at 11:04 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Trying to actually find a nice area like Audubon Park in Louisville.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Fab Five

There are two places I’d live in Kentucky. First is Woodford County. Versailles and Midway are terrific communities. My son moved to Versailles and I can’t begin to describe how much I enjoy viviting there. It is very tempting for me to move back. The second choice is Bardstown. It’s proximmity to both Lexington and Louisville is a major plus. The small town atmosphere is a major plus.
    Real Fan since 1958

I'd give my hometown, Flatwoods, the first shot because I have a few good friends who still live there. However, the tri-state area is is bad shape. Huntington,Wva which was my stomping ground 40 years ago has become a cesspool of drug addiction and somewhat of a war zone. Somewhere between Lexington and Cincinnati would be appealing.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Where would you live?

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    I'd give my hometown, Flatwoods, the first shot because I have a few good friends who still live there. However, the tri-state area is is bad shape. Huntington,Wva which was my stomping ground 40 years ago has become a cesspool of drug addiction and somewhat of a war zone. Somewhere between Lexington and Cincinnati would be appealing.
    Unfortunately, a lot of places have turned that way. Our good friend Brian Eldridge lived near a high school, Huffman High School here in Birmingham when he first moved to Alabama. That's an area I used to play softball in a league 20 years ago. It is what I considered a nice, blue collar type area that I enjoyed visiting.

I was visiting with some friends who are lifelong residents of Birmingham a couple of weeks ago, and mentioned that my son was going to play soccer at Huffman High School the next night. They told me that it had become a terrible area, and was very dangerous. I found that hard to believe, although they had a school shooting there last year. They told me that it had become gang-related, although it wasn't very well publicized.

Well, we played the soccer game Thursday night with no incident, and I thought that it was much overblown. The facilities were nice, and the general area was as I remembered. The restroom facilities were behind the stands at the football stadium, and they were very large, and the only time I got a little nervous when I went to use the restroom and found I was the only person there in a deserted area. But other than that, it was absolutely fine.

Of course, five days later, there was another school shooting there, and a beautiful young lady, 17 year-old student who had already been accepted into college and was planning on nursing as a career, tragically lost her life. Apparently the young man shot her accidentally, and he had brought the gun to school because he had been robbed the day before. I'm guessing there was some gang affiliation there as well. It's just a troubled world we live in today.

Saw this in an online article:

West Virginia led the nation again in 2015 with the highest rate of drug overdose deaths at 41.5 fatalities per 100,000 residents. That was a 16.9 percent increase from 2014, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

I’m happy in northern Kentucky. It is close enough to Lexington to be convenient, and close to Cincinnati, with pro sports coverage. Florence is a bit cluttered, but there are a lot of good neighborhoods in the area

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I’m happy in northern Kentucky. It is close enough to Lexington to be convenient, and close to Cincinnati, with pro sports coverage. Florence is a bit cluttered, but there are a lot of good neighborhoods in the area
    A lot of nice areas there. Would probably be my 2nd choice. There are some nice areas in Louisville as well, would be between those two areas for me.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Saw this in an online article:

West Virginia led the nation again in 2015 with the highest rate of drug overdose deaths at 41.5 fatalities per 100,000 residents. That was a 16.9 percent increase from 2014, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    Yeah, had already thrown W. VA out of the equation.
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

I've been living in the area we live in for 40 years. If I lived somewhere else in that state it'd probably be the Cumberland Plateau area.