Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Google Instant Translate

Bombino

Google Instant Translate

As my Vietnam trip is winding down, we are currently stopping in Seoul. We designed a 16h layover in to our itinerary to allow us to step out of the airport and visit a friend. No extra visa needed!

Anyways, getting to the point, the Google Translate app supports instant translation of any Korean words into English just by pointing my phone camera at it. I select the language, hit the camera button and just look at the screen. Any Korean words on the screen get converted to English. This context specific on the fly translation is really important and helpful. It isn't perfect as you need to have a moderately steady hand but it works remarkably well. See the attached pictures for better detail of what I mean. The green Korean letters are converted to green English letters in the same space. We are truly living in the future. Cell phones have become the tricorder of Star Trek fame, doing almost everything they could and many things they couldn't.

As an aside, my cell provider is Sprint. Before the trip, I was really annoyed because they wouldn't unlock my SIM slot for foreign SIM cards. Turns out it wasn't necessary. Much to my surprise, Sprint gives free 2G service in both Vietnam and Korea. While far from fast, it's more than workable. Truthfully, it has been an absolute lifesaver as I didn't need to rely on wifi hotspots and could use things like Uber with ease.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 02-22-2018 at 06:34 PM.

Re: Google Instant Translate

The universal translator is getting closer, and yes the tricorder. Very cool stuff.

Not there yet, but getting closer really fast. Now we just need the Eugenics wars and discovery of a nearly inexhaustible power source like dilithium and we're ready.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Wow.

Oh, and I'd give $10 to get those Jules Camara summer game translations we ran back in the day. Man those were the funniest things ever.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.