Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Re: Kentucky v Auburn Game Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    That auburn team couldn’t win a title in a hundred tries, too reliant on making low percentage plays and too small. Texas A&M and unc type teams will be their nemesis...oh and us if we didn’t suck.
    Truth is I know why Auburn is top of the SEC this year.

I had worried it was b/c Pearl was actually good. He's not. Well he's fine, but not great IMO.

The truth is that the SEC and all of basketball is just poor this year, and he's had a fairly favorable schedule in the league. But they aren't really as good as some of his UT teams.

They do play hard and play for 40 minutes, which is a positive of Pearl's coaching. He does motivate his guys very well.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Truth is I know why Auburn is top of the SEC this year.

I had worried it was b/c Pearl was actually good. He's not. Well he's fine, but not great IMO.

The truth is that the SEC and all of basketball is just poor this year, and he's had a fairly favorable schedule in the league. But they aren't really as good as some of his UT teams.

They do play hard and play for 40 minutes, which is a positive of Pearl's coaching. He does motivate his guys very well.
    I agree, Auburn isn’t that great, UK is just flat horrendous this year. Cal is making the kind of history at UK this year I never thought would happen with him here. Wow.

Cal’s comment tonight sums up where i see this season going now... he has failed this team because they don’t trust him...

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    I did get an odd text from my college roommate who was my best friend in high school. Brilliant guy and avid uk fan and has good judgement generally. I’ve heard a lot of guys down on cal and I don’t think it’s been his best effort but tend to lean toward it being a bad crop of freshmen who are too young. However, my buddy who hasnt texted in a while sends one that says “man something is up w cal he doesn’t seem like himself, and whatever is going on w this team is a coach problem, just can’t put my finger on it yet”. I don’t wanna stoke that fire and I don’t really buy it as a primary problem and don’t want him gone but really odd my buddy sent me that it’s kinda outta character for him.
    Interesting perspective and I appreciate any and all thoughts, especially from someone whose opinion you value. I personally think itís more a product of roster makeup, but ultimately Cal is the architect in that regard so I can see any criticism in that vein. I think there are certainly things Cal could do differently that could help, but ultimately I think execution is the predominant issue and you can assess the culpability for that problem in varying degrees.

The thing that drives me absolutely nuts, however, is that the sum of our parts is greater than the whole, imo, and thatís usually something Cal flips by this time of the season.

The parts are there...Hami and Knox not being what we all thought would be, that hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    Cal’s comment tonight sums up where i see this season going now... he has failed this team because they don’t trust him...
    It's clear they don't trust him.

But not in the sense that they think he's lying, just in the sense that they don't accept that doing what he says is their best path to their career, and they care way more about their careers.

Cal was successful by recruting guys who wanted the pro career but cared about winning as a matter of principle. IMO this team mostly cares more about their career and getting that money coming.

I don't blame them in that regard, but they don't think that playing as a team and diving for loose balls helps them with that, which is wrong, thus his trust comment.

The parts are there...Hami and Knox not being what we all thought would be, that hurts...
    Had high hopes for Knox, but not for Diallo. Never figured he'd be a guy to really go out and play hard for the win after his actions this past year.

But not in the sense that they think he's lying, just in the sense that they don't accept that doing what he says is their best path to their career, and they care way more about their careers.

Cal was successful by recruting guys who wanted the pro career but cared about winning as a matter of principle. IMO this team mostly cares more about their career and getting that money coming.

I don't blame them in that regard, but they don't think that playing as a team and diving for loose balls helps them with that, which is wrong, thus his trust comment.

Post of the year...all the players we have all discussed in the past, cal got them to check the ego at the door, win, and guess what, most got drafted and all was great.. cal hasn’t been able to convince this group..it’s game 26 and they are still fighting him and guess what, their future career is suffering cause of it..guys the formula works, the final fours, 6 of the 8 years we had a chance to win it cause the players lost themselves in the team and didn’t worry about post uk..this team hasn’t done that and not sure they will

That's a big part of what I meant by clicking in my earlier comment that you strongly disagreed and said I was flawed.

And next yearís team may have several of these guys back, along with Calís lowest rated UK recruiting class.

Post of the year...all the players we have all discussed in the past, cal got them to check the ego at the door, win, and guess what, most got drafted and all was great.. cal hasn’t been able to convince this group..it’s game 26 and they are still fighting him and guess what, their future career is suffering cause of it..guys the formula works, the final fours, 6 of the 8 years we had a chance to win it cause the players lost themselves in the team and didn’t worry about post uk..this team hasn’t done that and not sure they will

Kentucky v Auburn Game Chat

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    You think we shave? Just checking. I canít tell you the score.
    We're too young to shave.

Rupp's Runt
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

I didn’t really think so. I was just curious with regards to the question about spread.
    This will be a day longer remembered. It has seen the end of Pitino and will soon see the end of Louisville. September 27, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    I didn’t really think so. I was just curious with regards to the question about spread.
    I just follow trends in betting and UK is "trending" bigtime I believe.

No doubt players have shaved games in the past but I'm not about that. Not as likely to happen this day and age.

I am concerned about officials and know games were commonly fixed according to the spread in the past. I assume they are still and UK could be target for that at the moment.

"I wish I would have a real tragic love affair and get so bummed out that I'd just quit my job and become a bum for a few years, because I was thinking about doing that anyway." ó Jack Handey ,

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    That's a big part of what I meant by clicking in my earlier comment that you strongly disagreed and said I was flawed.
    Youíre both hitting on the fundamental issue with this group, imo. The fact that more of the guys are following SGAís lead in putting in more time and seeing Vanderbilt become more integrated gives me some hope. For whatever their faults, they compete at the highest level consistently and Iíd put Wenyen in that group as well.

Has anyone else noticed that Vanderbilt seems to bring the ball up court better than anyone on the team? I knew our guards wouldn't be up to the standards of those that Cal usually recruits, but I didn't think they would be this far behind. I wish they would can the play where Shae drives in and kicks to Diallo in the corner for a miss. It's causing me to pull what little hair I have left out.

Quote Originally Posted by DanISSELisdaman View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that Vanderbilt seems to bring the ball up court better than anyone on the team? I knew our guards wouldn't be up to the standards of those that Cal usually recruits, but I didn't think they would be this far behind. I wish they would can the play where Shae drives in and kicks to Diallo in the corner for a miss. It's causing me to pull what little hair I have left out.
    I discounted what Vanderbilt could bring to the team after the layoff, but heís exceeded my expectations. Unfortunately, heís not a scorer on any level by nature, but heís a gamer that does all of the little things. We just canít score reliably in any fashion and thatís an issue that is extremely hard to overcome even on the occasion when everything else clicking.

It might sound counterintuitive, but I think it stands to reason that the more marginal (to play professionally) a player is, the less likely they are to “lose themselves in the team”. Right now Diallo is the perfect example of this as he seems to have adopted an every man for himself attitude and it’s killing us. The last four games he has 0 assists and 8 turnovers.
    Don't panic

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    And next year’s team may have several of these guys back, along with Cal’s lowest rated UK recruiting class.
    See as fans we can’t have it both ways...do you want these guys gone after a year or do you want the chance to see them develop and get better?you can’t just give up on guys who actually come back... and the class we have in is a top 5 class that most programs dream to have

Has anyone considered the possible negative effect of having Brad on the team? If the players donít trust Cal, how does that work with Brad around all the time? Can they ever vent? Could his presence have an indirect negative effect on team chemistry?

If Calís truly lost the team. How miserable for Brad
    Last edited by ETWNAPPEL; 02-15-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    Has anyone considered the possible negative effect of having Brad on the team? If the players donít trust Cal, how does that work with Brad around all the time? Can they ever vent? Could his presence have an indirect negative effect on team chemistry?

If Calís truly lost the team. How miserable for Brad
    Now that is an excellent point!