Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Auburn opens 8˝ point favorite at home vs Kentucky

Ouch.

We have a chance to upset nearly a double digit favorite.

And his name is Auburn.

Re: Auburn opens 8˝ point favorite at home vs Kentucky

It’s amazing how far the Kentucky program has fallen this year. This team had neither the talent nor experience needed to compete at normal Kentucky levels. Just a terrible job by the staff in setting up the program to struggle so much. Next year may not be much better.

Auburn opens 8˝ point favorite at home vs Kentucky

Actually thought it would be more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Wow that's high. I expect a loss but think it will come down to the last couple of possessions

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    It’s amazing how far the Kentucky program has fallen this year. This team had neither the talent nor experience needed to compete at normal Kentucky levels. Just a terrible job by the staff in setting up the program to struggle so much. Next year may not be much better.
    That is my fear as well! I have been scratching my head about Cal's recent interest in Lecque. Maybe he sees that we over valued our current guard talent other that SGA? Lecque is the real deal from what I'm told and wants to reclassify.

Peace

Richard (CW)

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    That is my fear as well! I have been scratching my head about Cal's recent interest in Lecque. Maybe he sees that we over valued our current guard talent other that SGA? Lecque is the real deal from what I'm told and wants to reclassify.

Peace

Richard (CW)
    So you don't believe the guys we are likely to return can get much better? I guess I still believe in the old "the best thing about freshman is that next year they will be sophomores" and "the most improvement occurs between the freshman and sophomore" tropes. Maybe that is not, or never was, true, but I'm holding on to it!!
    "Calipari’s Young Blue Machine marches on, slashing and burning and winning."
    - Bill Simmons.

SKJ and Gabriel are both sophomores, but only marginal,y better than last year. If this is the most they can improve, that’s not impressive.

Maybe this year’s Frosh are different, but they have not exactly improved over the course if this year, nor shown the competitive fire that might indicate a great desire to improve. I hope I’m just underestimating these guys.

Has any player made huge strides from year one to two under Cal? I mean Jamal Mashburn, Tony Delk or Tayshaun Prince type of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    So you don't believe the guys we are likely to return can get much better? I guess I still believe in the old "the best thing about freshman is that next year they will be sophomores" and "the most improvement occurs between the freshman and sophomore" tropes. Maybe that is not, or never was, true, but I'm holding on to it!!
    Honestly I don't have an opinion anymore Tom. I just through something out there. I just don't know what to think. Trying to stay optimistic and hope we pull it all together this year still !!!!!

Peace

Richard (CW)

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    Honestly I don't have an opinion anymore Tom. I just through something out there. I just don't know what to think. Trying to stay optimistic and hope we pull it all together this year still !!!!!

Peace

Richard (CW)
    Well, that's about all we can do at this point! Hope it happens.
    - Bill Simmons.

Unforgettable

SKJ and Gabriel are both sophomores, but only marginal,y better than last year. If this is the most they can improve, that’s not impressive.

Maybe this year’s Frosh are different, but they have not exactly improved over the course if this year, nor shown the competitive fire that might indicate a great desire to improve. I hope I’m just underestimating these guys.

Has any player made huge strides from year one to two under Cal? I mean Jamal Mashburn, Tony Delk or Tayshaun Prince type of improvement.
    Good points. I chalk up SKJ's as his playing only slightly more minutes that I did last year with Gabriel being in a somewhat similar shape. As an aside, how on earth was SKJ a McDonald's AA?

As for big improvements, maybe not as much as the guys you mention, but the Harrisons did get better as did Ulis. But we really have not had many guys to make that determination about.

Hey, I have to have some reason to maintain my sanity!
    - Bill Simmons.

Just as amazing how far the Auburn program has risen this year. Not sure we cover.

We’re gonna get our arse stomped I’d say. A top ten team at home vs a bunch of kids that struggle playing organized basketball and have no confidence. No chance, hope they prove me wrong.
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    We’re gonna get our arse stomped I’d say. A top ten team at home vs a bunch of kids that struggle playing organized basketball and have no confidence. No chance, hope they prove me wrong.
    I hope so too, really hope so, but just don’t like the matchup at all especially on the road. I’m no Pearl fan, although I think he’s a solid coach and a better motivator, but I’ve been beyond impressed by the way they’ve played this year. Missing two of what most thought would be their best players in the preseason, Aubie has run all over one of the most balanced Conferences in years. It would be a joy to see us roll in there and punch them in the mouth - doubtful I know, but you never know until you tip it up.

I feel a sense of players accepting some responsibility in some of the things we're hearing this week. That's a first step in turning the corner.

I'm going out on a limb and saying we're coming out with a 'W', go 2-0 this week and get back on the 6 line, which is right where we need to be.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    I feel a sense of players accepting some responsibility in some of the things we're hearing this week. That's a first step in turning the corner.

I'm going out on a limb and saying we're coming out with a 'W', go 2-0 this week and get back on the 6 line, which is right where we need to be.
    Next time you go out on a limb, you may want to be sure it is not connected to the trunk of a weeping willow tree.
    Real Fan since 1958

9 1/2 now, right about where I thought it would be. Getting a win isn't impossible, but it is definitely improbable.
    Don't panic

Line has been as high as -10 (CG Technology, Coasts, Peppermill,Southpoint, VI Consensus, Westgate Superbook) and has never fallen under -8.5. The highest is -9.5 currently.

You can still get it at -9 at the Wynn, Mirage-MGM and Treasure Island if you like Auburn.

Never dreamed I'd say the day we'd be led by Cal, on a 3 game losing streak, and predicted to lose by 9 to Auburn. Wild.

Time to play w pride I'd take +9 gladly

Didn't realize Auburn starts 4 guards and their tallest starter is 6'7. Not sure which way that cuts. On the one hand, we can't defend guards, so 4 on the court at one time probably isn't great. On the other hand, that has to make it tough for them to guard us.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    Didn't realize Auburn starts 4 guards and their tallest starter is 6'7. Not sure which way that cuts. On the one hand, we can't defend guards, so 4 on the court at one time probably isn't great. On the other hand, that has to make it tough for them to guard us.
    I'm sure we will work it to the post about 2 times, but on the plus side when we miss shots maybe we can reach higher than they can.
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    I posted a brief scouting report of Auburn after the Arkansas game, and that's what I said. Basically, it's a 4-guard offense (the 4th guard is really a 6'4 PF type, though; more of an undersized PF than a guard). The 6'7 player is more mobile.

They play a true dribble-drive offense and come at you in waves. While they won't completely reject taking a mid-range shot, they understand that "we like 3-pointers...we love layups" mentality is the key to their success. They do a good job of finding angles to the basket, and avoid piling straight in, but still gathering contact and shooting free throws. Good chance our big guys get in foul trouble tonight as a result.

When they drive, they seek layups, but they also do a good job of watching for open corners and will swing it from the corner to the top of the perimeter, although most of the 3-point shots are either true inside-out 3-pointers, or even off the dribble. They don't mind missing shots, because they also make them, and they are relentless at going to the boards, seeking steals and just come at you in waves. Expect 2 or 3 steals from lazy passes tonight because they'll feed on it.

Where are they vulnerable? Anywhere that size and length can harm them. If we don't play foolish, and keep our feet on the ground, we'll hinder their inside shots. Don't have to block them, but just hinder them and rebound the misses. Keep the little guys from flying in for offensive rebounds. Auburn may also get in foul trouble themselves as they will body up against bigger guys. Just need a whistle that reflects the "free movement of basketball" more than the "let them play" mentality.

Could be a fun game tonight. Trying to be objective, Kentucky DOES present some matchup problems for Auburn. That's not blue blinders speaking, that's reality. Kentucky is long and long has presented problems for Auburn. Kentucky will need to be focused, and tuned-in to protecting the ball, running the court and getting back on defense, help defense and keeping the lane from being clear to be able to win the game.

Just one man's take after seeing them in person against Arkansas. That was some time ago, also, but i don't think their recipe for success has changed.

aTm had to make 9 of 18 threes to squeak by them. Heron/PJ will be the matchup to watch imo.

"I wish I would have a real tragic love affair and get so bummed out that I'd just quit my job and become a bum for a few years, because I was thinking about doing that anyway." — Jack Handey ,