Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

NCAA denies appeal by Notre Dame on forfeiting wins by athletes/academic misconduct

Academic fraud committed by several student-athletes at Notre Dame caused the NCAA Committee on Infractions to vacate Notre Dame's 2012 and 2013 victories.

Notre Dame's appeal was denied. Letter from their President.

https://president.nd.edu/writings-ad...ractions-case/

Oh, yeah. UNC-CH, you're a POS.

Bombino

Re: NCAA denies appeal by Notre Dame on forfeiting wins by athletes/academic miscondu

Doesn't bode well for UL's appeal.

Re: NCAA denies appeal by Notre Dame on forfeiting wins by athletes/academic miscondu

Glad the ND president specifically called out the UNC case, though not by name.

Basically, if a school cheats academically it's OK with the NCAA as long as the school maintains that such cheating is just part of their academic standards, but if a school like ND actually enforces academic standards and maintains their integrity then they are to be punished to the fullest extent possible.

As their President points out, if the school had ruled there was nothing wrong with the cheating and it was all fine, then they would have been fine with the NCAA. By having academic integrity they get punished and UNC, having none, gets a complete pass.

It's beyond asinine. It's simply corrupt.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Academic fraud committed by several student-athletes at Notre Dame caused the NCAA Committee on Infractions to vacate Notre Dame's 2012 and 2013 victories.

Notre Dame's appeal was denied. Letter from their President.

Oh, yeah. UNC-CH, you're a POS.
    Comparing apples to oranges. In ND case it was a few students in isolated cases who committed academic fraud, and the school reported it. UNC-CH was a school wide incident that occurred over decades and was hidden by the school.

[/sarcasm]

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

Here we go. Notre Dame has some real clout in college athletics. Time to get the corrupt scumbag that is Emmert out of there.
    Don't panic

NCAA denies appeal by Notre Dame on forfeiting wins by athletes/academic misconduct

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Comparing apples to oranges. In ND case it was a few students in isolated cases who committed academic fraud, and the school reported it. UNC-CH was a school wide incident that occurred over decades and was hidden by the school.

[/sarcasm]
    Mark Emmert? Is that you?

It really is beyond irritating.

The NCAA is corrupt to the core.. Emmert is a crime boss and the government of this country complicit in allowing it.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I detest the fact that the NCAA chose to do nothing, and in turn gave UNC another championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Mark Emmert? Is that you?

It really is beyond irritating.
    It's so far beyond irritating it has undermined my desire to follow college sports at all. If the fix is in to this extent what is the point?

[/sarcasm]
    Sends a clear message, if you are going to cheat do it on a large scale.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    It's so far beyond irritating it has undermined my desire to follow college sports at all. If the fix is in to this extent what is the point?
    I am very close to that. It really has sucked a lot of the enjoyment out.

I don't think we're alone, and I don't think the leaders of the NCAA and college sports even have a clue that they've had that effect on the fans. The unresolved officiating stuff plays a role too, but I think the handling of the UNC scandal is going to have a rippling effect in ways they could never imagine.

I don't think we're alone, and I don't think the leaders of the NCAA and college sports even have a clue that they've had that effect on the fans. The unresolved officiating stuff plays a role too, but I think the handling of the UNC scandal is going to have a rippling effect in ways they could never imagine.
    More than they could ever imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Sends a clear message, if you are going to cheat do it on a large scale.
    And obstruct

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

And obstruct
    And sell out your academic integrity.

UNC got out of it by just claiming that all these fake classes and forged signatures and everything else was just perfectly normal University practice and not any kind of fraud or wrongdoing at all.

Of course to make that claim you have to say that as a University you are endorsing a secretary grading 100s of papers, forging signatures of professors, etc. and that it's actually University policy to behave that way. Even grade changing (remember the email from the head of their School of Ethics?) is just how UNC rolls, so it's not the NCAA's business.

And if their accrediting entity had any balls at all that would be the end of UNC, b/c they just argued they have no academic integrity. But of course b/c they will never do that to such a major university they walk away with no harm done by either entity.

I guess if PSU claimed that they believe in man-boy love then they could have gotten off the hook too. It wasnt' really wrongdoing, it was university policy.

The NCAA of course coudl just say "we know this is crap", but it gave them the out they wanted, in part due to political cronyism and in part due to the threat of their legal battle.

Good article from CBS and Dennis Dodd on the meaning of this Notre Dame appeal and their response.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-an-avalanche/

One and Done

The double standard applied here to the benefit of UNC and the detriment of Notre Dame is so striking that I'm surprised that there isn't more of a reaction. I still can't understand how the NCAA could allow UNC to escape any punishment just because their corrupt administration was willing to lie and say that, in their estimation, no academic fraud occurred. The hypocrisy is so glaring and the bias in favor of UNC is so obvious that it is truly sickening.

The NCAA apparently doesn't care, but these two decisions have created absolutely terrible incentives for schools. Going forward any university official that self reports a violation should be fired immediately. And any school that handles an allegation of academic fraud in any honest way with the NCAA is filled with fools. They have created incentives that destroy their alleged mission, and they are apparently fine with that.

But mr Emmert has still filled his fat pockets

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

No way they take UL off the hook after this

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    No way they take UL off the hook after this
    Oh yeah. UL has always been toast. Not unlike UK, just nowhere near enough political chips in the NCAA community to get them to back off.

In the mind of the elites coming down on UL will somehow show they are tough and in charge, etc. and somehow offset the UNC inaction.

It won't work.

Oh yeah. UL has always been toast. Not unlike UK, just nowhere near enough political chips in the NCAA community to get them to back off.

In the mind of the elites coming down on UL will somehow show they are tough and in charge, etc. and somehow offset the UNC inaction.
    It won't work.

You are right the peasants see how it works now and will be coming with pitchforks soon.

It won't work.
    Don’t disagree, and certainly wouldn’t have a doubt if not for their ACC affiliation, but I have wondered if the Conference would go to bat for them in any meaningful way. Probably not, but the thought crossed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
    Don’t disagree, and certainly wouldn’t have a doubt if not for their ACC affiliation, but I have wondered if the Conference would go to bat for them in any meaningful way. Probably not, but the thought crossed my mind.
    IMO the ACC elite sees UL as a necessary evil. They felt they had to expand, UL was one of the better options left on the table, but I bet they are already sorry for it and wishing HARD they'd gone after West Virginia.

IMO the ACC elite sees UL as a necessary evil. They felt they had to expand, UL was one of the better options left on the table, but I bet they are already sorry for it and wishing HARD they'd gone after West Virginia.
    100% agree, my question is just given the fact they’re in bed with them now, cue the ceiling jokes, if they’d try to use their influence on their behalf. Boeheim seemed to get more of a pass than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
    100% agree, my question is just given the fact they’re in bed with them now, cue the ceiling jokes, if they’d try to use their influence on their behalf. Boeheim seemed to get more of a pass than I expected.
    Maybe, but I have my doubts. I just dont' think they'll use any of their political chips to protect UL. Esp. since they cashed in a truckload to cover for UNC, lol.

Maybe, but I have my doubts. I just dont' think they'll use any of their political chips to protect UL. Esp. since they cashed in a truckload to cover for UNC, lol.
    Lol, I mean, woah, if it’s a nominally fair system....I derailed already, but, yes, to your point in a normal Draft equivalent you’d have to think they traded away at least a half dozen first round picks level of cred to skate past that travesty.