Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Just A Guess But I Feel NBA Will Allow Straight From HS With NO 2/Through Rule

If the NBA is pushing their G(D??) league the 2 and through won't be practical anyway. I can't wait to see the agents flocking to various high schools trying to get players signed. Also, of the players that think they are NBA ready, how many will finish their senior year in high school?

I need to start watching Golf more...

Darryl

Re: Just A Guess But I Feel NBA Will Allow Straight From HS With NO 2/Through Rule

I think it will be similar to the baseball rule, only with two years in college if you don’t opt for the NBA.

Re: Just A Guess But I Feel NBA Will Allow Straight From HS With NO 2/Through Rule

Not a guess IMO, mortal lock.

And a HUGE mistake for the NBA. I think I know why, b/c they think they will expand the talent pool, but b/c these guys apparently themselves never finished school they don't get that they'll just deplete that pool in a few years and it will be the same problem.

I was going to post on this, but the REAL way for the NBA to solve their issue is simple: don't require a full draft every year.

Their problem is they just don't have 60 players, sometimes even 30, that are worth playing in the NBA.

There are 491 roster players over 30 teams, and there is MASSIVE turnover. This last year 95 of those players were rookies, so the NBA is taking a TON of guys every year, but only about half of those make it to year 3.

So they are bringing in a bunch of guys, treating them like cannon fodder, and if they stick great, if not off to the D League or wherever.

So change the draft so teams dont' have to take someone if they don't want. let them just take money against their cap instead or hold that pick and let it accumulate for a later year, give them more balls in the lottery or something.

IMO that pressure to just find that many new guys every year is a problem, b/c there is absolutely no way, no way, that those guys are as good as a 4-5 year guy in the pros on average.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

The NBA was at its best when kids were staying in school four years.

There is no way the NBA can be putting good product on the court if a freshman or a high schooler can seriously compete, unless we're talking about Lebron. It's silly on its face.

Good link btw to a bunch of NBA stats on team breakdowns:

http://rpiratings.com/NBA.php

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    The NBA was at its best when kids were staying in school four years.
    Absolutely. The good old days of the 80ís. Miss it so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Alert, Alive; Do or Die; Take Care! Sgt. Jones (my father's last words February 7, 2017).

What I havenít seen discussed is what the NCAA could do in response to the NBA. Let's say the NBA changes their rules and allows high school kids to declare for the draft. IMO the NCAA should change their rule and allow kids that arenít drafted (or donít get a good draft spot) to attend college as long as they havenít signed with an agent. Sort of like their baseball rule does. Then, if they turn down the pros to attend college they have to stay two (or three) years. To me that makes sense to me to keep some of the Top 100 kids from making a mistake.
    Last edited by KMSBball; 02-12-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KMSBball View Post
    What I havenít seen discussed is what the NCAA could do in response to the NBA. Let's say the NBA changes their rules and allows high school kids to declare for the draft. IMO the NCAA should change their rule and allow kids that arenít drafted (or donít get a good draft spot) to attend college as long as they havenít signed with an agent. Sort of like their baseball rule does. Then, if they turn down the pros to attend college they have to stay two (or three) years. To me that makes sense to me to keep some of the Top 100 kids from making a mistake.
    How could the NCAA force them to stay two or three years ?

[QUOTE=uklandrn;480521]Absolutely. The good old days of the 80’s. Miss it so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
    I'll take 90's over the 80's though . To me , that was NCAA basketballs best decade .

Quote Originally Posted by Powermaker View Post
    How could the NCAA force them to stay two or three years ?
    The NCAA can't make any student athlete do anything. They can sanction member institutions, but they can't make any student do anything. It's a common misapprehension that the NCAA can do anything regarding who goes to college to play sports and who stays there and for how long.

What the NCAA needs to do that would keep them here is go against the G League by doing things like letting kids be drafted but stay in college (can't make the NBA agree but puts huge pressure on them to allow it), let the kids make money on their likeness and such so they are making more than the NBA would even pay them at that point, those kinds of things.

These gutless NCAA wonders want to firewall the kids making anything for fear the kids will end up with all their budget money, when in fact if they allowed kids to keep some of what they could make on their popularity they would stay in college and up the whole level of the sport significantly.

Imagine the ratings of a NCAA tourney finals with Duke and UK playing with 3-4 year guys like KAT and Wall and cousins and their top guys.

Just a guess, but I don't believe college sports will be around much longer.

The whole system seems ready to self-implode.

Quote Originally Posted by HerbTarlek View Post
    The NCAA can't make any student athlete do anything. They can sanction member institutions, but they can't make any student do anything. It's a common misapprehension that the NCAA can do anything regarding who goes to college to play sports and who stays there and for how long.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by kybobcat View Post
    Just a guess, but I don't believe college sports will be around much longer.

The whole system seems ready to self-implode.
    Part of me agrees with that, but the pecuniary side of me says there is too much money for it to go away. Some version of it will remain.