Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Is KP really an ace recruiter?

KP does a great job working with our bigs most years, and I have hopes he will get this year’s group playing better before we get to the postseason.

Is he an ace recruiter? We sure seem to have missed a lot of the top targets he has recruited the past few seasons.

Re: Is KP really an ace recruiter?

No he is not imo. Not outgoing or engaging

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

hope

Stunning take. Yes, straight ACE. Top 3 in the country at going after the big fish. He's the one that pulled off Knox! And I think Bam.

I think he’s the perfect balance to cal honestly, calm and the type of guy momma wants watching over the kids

Quote Originally Posted by patrick54 View Post
    Stunning take. Yes, straight ACE. Top 3 in the country at going after the big fish. He's the one that pulled off Knox! And I think Bam.
    Is he really? Why are we missing out on so many “big fish” with KP taking the lead recruiter role.

Because Capel also goes after the big fish and has a better supporting staffer (Scheyer is better than both our other staff).

Payne also put us in a position to LOCK Bol to UK but Cal didn't want him.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick54 View Post
    Because Capel also goes after the big fish and has a better supporting staffer (Scheyer is better than both our other staff).

Payne also put us in a position to LOCK Bol to UK but Cal didn't want him.
    Where is the evidence he is a great recruiter?

We are getting lots of interest when Justus is contacting these kids early in the process, but when KP takes over things seem to flatten out.

Not so sure.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Where is the evidence he is a great recruiter?

We are getting lots of interest when Justus is contacting these kids early in the process, but when KP takes over things seem to flatten out.
    Keith you have been dead on with your analysis during the games, but on this you have no idea what you are talking about and it appears you want KP to be the fall guy.

So lets put things in perspective. When he was at oregon he was considered one of the top recruieters in the country.

When he recruits he is going against Kansas, duke, UNCheat and he is clean like Cal and SAndy will not allow anything fishy to go on, and over the years you and others have commented how we are in on a player seems we have them locked up and suddenly we are not mentioned mainly because Sandy has found something. Everyone 'seems' to agree with that. So we know for a fact the NCAA will NOT do anything to duke, UNCheat and they can recruit and pay any way they want. Kansas gets players suspended every year for the last ten years but NOTHING happens to the program or Self, do you think Self, Williams, K are not aware of that? Do you think maybe Cal and KP are aware of that?

I don't want them to cheat, I didn't like what happened before. But its not a fair fight, its having a pocket knife against a 50Cal pistol. Malik Newman, not a 'big man' but was KP's responsibility, he was ours until the $$$$ came out. Bolden was ours until the $$$$ came out.

How many times have you heard players and former players call KP 'uncle Kenny', is that because they like Cal only. How many former players come back to work with KP in the off season? If he wasnt' engaging enough, or not a good recruiter, why would they come back.

Look around folks, lots of top programs are not having the year they are accustomed to. But most here are looking for a fall guy w/o knowing anything of what they talk about.

its comical what is written here about players and coaches w/o any knowledge of what really is going on.

Unforgettable

You are right Skip. Folks are looking for a fall guy. My take is KP has the lead on recruiting the bigs and Cal primarily has the guards. You can’t fault Kenny for what is occurring on the court.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    You are right Skip. Folks are looking for a fall guy. My take is KP has the lead on recruiting the bigs and Cal primarily has the guards. You can’t fault Kenny for what is occurring on the court.
    I’m not looking for a “fall guy” just wondering if we wouldn’t be better served with having a hotshot recruiter that is going to “help” in that area. We reeled in some really good classes with both Kenny and Orlando doing a lot of the recruiting.

It seems like Kenny is recruiting guys in the 2018 and 2019 classes currently, and Justus is recruiting in the 2019 and 2020 classes, along with some 2021 kids.

Do we need to get KP in with these kids earlier? Are we spreading him too thin?

I know KP is recruiting all positions, he was the lead guy on Herro.

There is no doubt that KP is a master at working with bigs.

Keep in mind I’m in no way suggesting replacing Kenny, just adding another guy that can recruit to the staff.

I’m also not looking to place blame on the recent play. I think everything will be okay and have always looked at this as a bridge year.
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 02-13-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I’m not looking for a “fall guy” just wondering if we wouldn’t be better served with having a hotshot recruiter that is going to “help” in that area. We reeled in some really good classes with both Kenny and Orlando doing a lot of the recruiting.

It seems like Kenny is recruiting guys in the 2018 and 2019 classes currently, and Justus is recruiting in the 2019 and 2020 classes, along with some 2021 kids.

Do we need to get KP in with these kids earlier? Are we spreading him too thin?

I know KP is recruiting all positions, he was the lead guy on Herro.

There is no doubt that KP is a master at working with bigs.

Keep in mind I’m in no way suggesting replacing Kenny, just adding another guy that can recruit to the staff.

I’m also not looking to place blame on the recent play. I think everything will be okay and have always looked at this as a bridge year.
    Do you believe KP was added to the staff as the chief recruiter? When he arrived O was the man. I have seen no announced changes to KPs responsibilities.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Do you believe KP was added to the staff as the chief recruiter? When he arrived O was the man. I have seen no announced changes to KPs responsibilities.
    I have seen changes in KP's duties. He is now associate head coach, which means he has way more responsibility than a regular assistant.

I see a need to bring in a young guy that can focus major energy into recruiting. Today's recruits feel a need to receive constant attention. We need a guy that can spend that kind of time attached to his phone.

We need a guy to replace O on the recruiting trail. That wasn't Slice, it isn't Barbee.

If you look at the top frosh projected to go early in this year’s Draft I think you can identify some of the reasons they went elsewhere and at least speculate as to the others.

Young’s decision has been well documented, Porter, Jr. was a family package deal, Bamba appears to have been destined to play for Smart due to a prior personal relationship despite a lengthy process, Ayton and Bagley seemed to have high interest in UK with the reciprocation being limited with the former for whatever reason and eligibility concerns with the latter (might’ve been different had Bagley stayed in the upcoming class), Jackson seemed to be destined for MSU and Duke had long been the perceived destination for Carter and Trent.

Duvall had academic concerns that likely ruled the Cats out not to mention Green and SGA were already on the bus. Knox is generally perceived to be in the lottery mix who we landed as well as some other highly touted guys that just haven’t performed as well as we’d hoped.

As to the upcoming class, Duke has apparently sold its soul to the OAD and they dominated the top of the class with Capel being the pied piper. Capel/Duke’s methods and message, the fact Cal’s USA squad fell short over the summer and the uncertainty of roster makeup for UK next season along with performance on the court likely all play parts to some extent depending on your viewpoint. Not to mention we didn’t pursue some of the top guys in this class that we probably could’ve landed by our own choosing.

That’s not to say I’m not disappointed with some of the misses, but there are a lot of factors in play that have us in a rather unique position of uncertainty moving forward with potential Draft eligibility changes and a very real drop off in on court performance for the program under Cal. All that being said, I feel very confident KP and Cal get it figured out and think that a shakeup in the staff dynamic in other areas after the season could certainly help.

That’s a lot of rambling to get to the crux of Keith’s question in that I believe KP is one of the best of the best as a coach and on the recruiting trail. Also, I do agree with Keith and others in that we might need to shore up some other areas with the current staff whether it be by replacement or a shift in responsibilities. Jmho
    Last edited by Terminus; 02-13-2018 at 08:19 PM.

Cal thought he could pick who he wanted for a while. He has said this in a round about way. He also admitted they were not recruiting early enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'll add that I think both issues have now been addressed.

We can blame other schools all day. But we have not had our A game in recruiting in a while. The good news is, our B game is still pretty damn good and preferred by me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk