Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Chuck--are you sponsoring this bill? Not sure it would go over well in Alabama.....

Chuck--are you sponsoring this bill? Not sure it would go over well in Alabama.....

HB 315 (BR 1479) - R. Benvenuti III

AN ACT relating to concealed carry.
    Amend KRS 527.020 to include an attorney specified in KRS 15.100(2) in the list of persons who may carry a concealed deadly weapon at all times and in all locations throughout the Commonwealth if the attorney has a license.

Re: Chuck--are you sponsoring this bill? Not sure it would go over well in Alabama...

It looks like certain attorneys (active and retired prosecutors and judges) are already empowered under KRS 527.020(5)(a) to carry concealed in all locations. So HB 315 would expand that to all attorneys.

Not sure how I feel about that, and I say that as someone who would benefit from the statute. I'd like to hear more on the reasoning.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: Chuck--are you sponsoring this bill? Not sure it would go over well in Alabama...

My only issue with it is I don't see why it's just attorneys.

Rupp doesn't allow weapons, and now has metal detectors to insure it. OK great, but is Rupp providing security for me outside of Rupp when I have to walk blocks in the dark at midnight after some late game? Nope.

So my choice is to go to the game unarmed and hope there are no issues (and in Lexington of course there usually aren't, but there's a principle here) or to not go.

I'd support a bill with a "heightened" status of carry permit where anyone could apply and if they meet the requirements then they could carry in more places. I see no reason to think that just passing the bar is proof that you deserve a higher level of personal protection than anyone else.

Judges and prosecutors I get, and I get criminal attorneys in general, but should a tax attorney get different levels of self defense options than me or say a banker?

I'm not against it, but I think it raises a question of whether we should just expand it and have the option of going through additional background checks and procedures and being able to carry in places like Rupp Arena.

Should an attorney be able to carry to a basketball game just b/c he's a corporate law attorney but the guy traveling from 2 hours away and parking blocks away has to either leave with no gun or leave it in his vehicle and hope it's not stolen and can't have that same protection?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post

Should an attorney be able to carry to a basketball game just b/c he's a corporate law attorney
    Yes! We should get special privileges in everything. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Yes! We should get special privileges in everything. Duh.
    lol. You already get the hot chicks and booze, what more do you want?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

FWIW, I think the bill is goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    My only issue with it is I don't see why it's just attorneys.

Rupp doesn't allow weapons, and now has metal detectors to insure it. OK great, but is Rupp providing security for me outside of Rupp when I have to walk blocks in the dark at midnight after some late game? Nope.

So my choice is to go to the game unarmed and hope there are no issues (and in Lexington of course there usually aren't, but there's a principle here) or to not go.

I'd support a bill with a "heightened" status of carry permit where anyone could apply and if they meet the requirements then they could carry in more places. I see no reason to think that just passing the bar is proof that you deserve a higher level of personal protection than anyone else.

Judges and prosecutors I get, and I get criminal attorneys in general, but should a tax attorney get different levels of self defense options than me or say a banker?

I'm not against it, but I think it raises a question of whether we should just expand it and have the option of going through additional background checks and procedures and being able to carry in places like Rupp Arena.

Should an attorney be able to carry to a basketball game just b/c he's a corporate law attorney but the guy traveling from 2 hours away and parking blocks away has to either leave with no gun or leave it in his vehicle and hope it's not stolen and can't have that same protection?
    Kentucky doesn't recognize areas of specialty for attorneys. A tax lawyer is looked at the same as a criminal defense lawyer.