Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Who would you call to work on a front door lock?

Who would you call to work on a front door lock?

Stupid question, I know, but UK kept me up late and I'm at about 60% brain capacity today...

Our front door has a thumb latch door handle and for a long time it would only open if you really pushed on it back and forth a few times. Now pushing the latch down does nothing. Door won't open from the outside--only the inside. I've done some digging around on YouTube (my favorite DIY site) and I think some of the "innards" of the door mechanism need replacing, likely beyond my capability. (I'm good for donkey labor and very basic stuff, but trying that's probably just going to end up not getting done right and then I call someone, anyway.)

Would you call a locksmith for that? General handyman? Etc.?
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: Who would you call to work on a front door lock?

BEvans, I'd first ask my son to do it, then a general handyman, especially if you know one personally.

What I would do is go to Home Depot or Lowes and look for a replacement that is similar to the one you have if you like it. Then see if you think you can replace it yourself. If you look befuddled enough, you could ask a salesperson when they come around if they know somebody that could install it.

I think it's either easier than you think, or just as difficult because of unavailability of parts. It ought to be a "replace all the innards" kind of thing, which would mean matching it up exactly. That's why I'd just replace the entire handle. Or have my son do it.

I don't call anyone. I go to Lowe's and get a new one, bring it home and replace it. If it is experiencing the issues you described it has a latch that has worn to the point that it no longer operates correctly.

Typically, it is difficult to find the internals to repair the locksets, as there are many variations.

Take a picture of both sides of the lockset and take it with you, that way you can get a similar one to replace it with.

Based on your description this one may be similar to your old one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kwikset-Sig...set/1000052569
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 01-17-2018 at 02:58 PM.

What Keith said.
    If you have a Phillips head screwdriver, you can do this.
    Five little screws is all it takes.
    I have included photos of the image of my front door for you to show the placement of where they may be located. You can't really see the one that is on the outside and just anchoring it at the bottom, but you get my drift.
    Attachment 7000Attachment 7001
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Who would you call to work on a front door lock?

Not this guy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire