Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: "Concentration," "Major," "Minor".....help interpreting college stuff for my son

"Concentration," "Major," "Minor".....help interpreting college stuff for my son

Here's a link to Spring Hill College "majors" and "minors." Just one of a bunch of smaller schools he's considering, for various reasons.

http://www.shc.edu/academics/freshmen-transfer/majors/

Under "Degree," I see a list showing:

Computer Analysis
    Computer Information Systems

So it looks like you can get a "Computer Analysis" or "Computer Information Systems" degree from Spring Hill.

But on the right hand side, we see "Computer Analysis" listed with a "C," for "Concentration. And "Computer Information Systems" listed as both a "C" (Concentration) and "m" (minor).

Whereas, other degrees (for example, Biochemistry) shows that degree with a "M" (Major) and a "m" (minor).

So....what is the difference?

a) Are you getting a Computer Information Systems degree?
    b) If you choose the "Concentration," is that the same thing as a major?
    c) If "Concentration" is different from a "major," what is your major?

(He has the same questions related to the "mathematics" degrees they have too, as he's not sure if a computer-based or mathematics-based degree is what he is seeking. Some of those are hard to find in the smaller liberal arts type schools).

Bombino

Re: "Concentration," "Major," "Minor".....help interpreting college stuff for my son

Major - Focus of your degree. You must have at least one major to get a Bachelors degree, though you can certainly have more than one.
    Minor - Something, typically unrelated to your degree, which you took substantial classes in. Basically, it is like degree lite.
    Concentration - A specialty within a major, basically a sub-field within a field.

For my undergrad degree: I have a BS in Chemistry as Chemistry was my major. This is the primary thing that employers normally care about. When they say they want someone with a degree in X, your major must be X. Additionally, I was one class away from a minor in Math (found out AFTER I graduated) because I took so many math classes. Minor's can be useful when an employer is looking for additional skillsets. As for concentration, most of my major elective classes and/or research dealt with Inorganic Chemistry so my concentration was Inorganic Chemistry. Not all schools offer a concentration for undergrad degrees, but most grad schools will. It is possible to have concentrations in related areas. For example, you might have a math major and a data analysis concentration, similarly you could have a Computer Science degree and a data analysis concentration.

Re: "Concentration," "Major," "Minor".....help interpreting college stuff for my son

Looking at these three degrees:

Chemistry Natural Sciences M m
    Computer Analysis Natural Sciences C
    Computer Information Systems Business C m

What is the major for Computer Analysis and Computer Information Systems? Is that the major? If so, why do they allow a "concentration" in the same thing as the major? I'm so confused....

Area of concentration, basically focusing on a single subject. When you do this there is no major or minor.

Major - primary focus on this subject, but will also focus on another area to a lesser degree, which is the minor. The student will have more college hours in their major than in their minor.

Double major, choosing to focus in two subjects and taking credit hours needed for a major in each.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Looking at these three degrees:

Chemistry Natural Sciences M m
    Computer Analysis Natural Sciences C
    Computer Information Systems Business C m

What is the major for Computer Analysis and Computer Information Systems? Is that the major? If so, why do they allow a "concentration" in the same thing as the major? I'm so confused....
    It all comes down to credit hours. Concentration requires more subject specific hours than a major or minor, and is usually the combined hours of a major and minor.

Here is the general way most broke down when I did my undergrad work in the 80s:

Area of concentration: 45 hours
    Major: 24 hours
    Minor: 21 hours

These credit hour totals may differ, but you get the gist.

If you have an area of concentration you do not have a major/minor. I have an area of concentration in middle school education, so no major or minor is needed.

I have friends who teach high school that have, for example, majors in history education and minors in english education. They can teach either subject at the secondary level.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    It all comes down to credit hours. Concentration requires more subject specific hours than a major or minor, and is usually the combined hours of a major and minor.

Here is the general way most broke down when I did my undergrad work in the 80s:

Area of concentration: 45 hours
    Major: 24 hours
    Minor: 21 hours

These credit hour totals may differ, but you get the gist.

If you have an area of concentration you do not have a major/minor. I have an area of concentration in middle school education, so no major or minor is needed.

I have friends who teach high school that have, for example, majors in history education and minors in english education. They can teach either subject at the secondary level.
    Ahh. So a "concentration" is a good thing even if there's no Major, because really, the number of hours is going to be the equivalent or more.

Your example helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Ahh. So a "concentration" is a good thing even if there's no Major, because really, the number of hours is going to be the equivalent or more.

Your example helped.
    Yes, hours are usually the combined number of hours for a major and minor.

Rupp's Runt

Some IT related paths are nearly terminal so watch out for that.