Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 137
  1. #61
    Fab Five Darryl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky
    Posts
    21,852

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    Marcus Camby
    Back then, most gurus didn't rank players 1-100 (Bob Gibbons may have been the exception along with Clark Francis) but Camby was a bit of a late bloomer like Anthony Davis. Cal did sign a top Micky D though in Dontae Bright.

    Darryl

  2. #62

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Where are you seeing this?

    Thanks, Darryl
    There was a 247 round table article written by Evan Daniels on my Facebook feed.

  3. #63
    Fab Five Darryl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky
    Posts
    21,852

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    There was a 247 round table article written by Evan Daniels on my Facebook feed.
    Thanks

    Darryl

  4. #64

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    There was a 247 round table article written by Evan Daniels on my Facebook feed.
    Please NOT Duke or UNC, I’m disappointed we won’t get him, but if he lands at either of those schools my head will explode.

  5. #65

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Back then, most gurus didn't rank players 1-100 (Bob Gibbons may have been the exception along with Clark Francis) but Camby was a bit of a late bloomer like Anthony Davis. Cal did sign a top Micky D though in Dontae Bright.

    Darryl
    Bright was a kid ranked in the 10-20 range.

  6. #66

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    You almost always have to have an elite talent on a team to win a title, and Zion was THE guy to get it done with a great supporting cast. We do not have any nba elite level guys on the team next year, which really lessens our title odds with the way our oad system is set up. Gotta have veterans or superstars one of the two. Now if cal has flipped his strategy and we’re the school for guys wanting to slip in the end of the first round a year or two earlier than elsewhere then I get it, but that’s not been the way we’ve had success with cal.

    I fully think cal is trying to get it done and he has really made some enemies that have blocked his ability to land these guys. Something has REALLY changed and I don’t think the pitch just quit working all of a sudden.

    Really down about Zion he was a huge miss if so.
    Go Cats!

  7. #67

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    You almost always have to have an elite talent on a team to win a title, and Zion was THE guy to get it done with a great supporting cast. We do not have any nba elite level guys on the team next year, which really lessens our title odds with the way our oad system is set up. Gotta have veterans or superstars one of the two. Now if cal has flipped his strategy and we’re the school for guys wanting to slip in the end of the first round a year or two earlier than elsewhere then I get it, but that’s not been the way we’ve had success with cal.

    I fully think cal is trying to get it done and he has really made some enemies that have blocked his ability to land these guys. Something has REALLY changed and I don’t think the pitch just quit working all of a sudden.

    Really down about Zion he was a huge miss if so.
    Who was the elite talent on the UNC roster last year? The Duke roster in 2015? UL 2013? Those teams had good college players, but not Anthony Davis/KAT NBA all star type talent.

  8. #68
    Fiddlin' Five StuBleedsBlue2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    6,392

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Back then, most gurus didn't rank players 1-100 (Bob Gibbons may have been the exception along with Clark Francis) but Camby was a bit of a late bloomer like Anthony Davis. Cal did sign a top Micky D though in Dontae Bright.

    Darryl
    Hmmm..

    I guess I just always remember Camby being really good and just assumed he was a top pick out of HS. I definitely remember the hype around Cal getting him. So many great players back then, though. Such a different game. Since I was a college student then, I probably never followed the game any more closely, but that's been a while ago so I guess my basketball memory has faded quite a bit. I do remember Bright, but forgot about him until you mentioned him. Always remembered Padilla/Travieso.

  9. #69

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Camby was a 4th team Parade All-American (10 players per team), so it wasn't like he wasn't a really good player; high 4* player. Jeff Sheppard was 4th team Parade All-American that year, too.

  10. #70

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    I donít necessarily care if they are Top 5 or Top 12. I care if they have what it takes to carry a team at times.
    Trae Young wasnít Top 5. But he had that (and I told anyone that would listen that he did). He has always been able to carry a team.
    Fox and Monk had it.
    Our team this year is lacking that.
    As of now, we donít have anyone next year either.
    We needed someone like Zion. Wiseman has it. I hope Cal works some magic somewhere because next year should be our year.

  11. #71

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    I donít necessarily care if they are Top 5 or Top 12. I care if they have what it takes to carry a team at times.
    Trae Young wasnít Top 5. But he had that (and I told anyone that would listen that he did). He has always been able to carry a team.
    Fox and Monk had it.
    Our team this year is lacking that.
    As of now, we donít have anyone next year either.
    We needed someone like Zion. Wiseman has it. I hope Cal works some magic somewhere because next year should be our year.
    I think thatís fair. Both Fox and Monk certainly did and I canít honestly say that Iíve seen anyone on this yearís team close to that level thus far. We still have a lot of nice pieces that have shown the ability to step up at times, but we lack that transcendent talent. On the flip side, I believe we have a lot more balance this year, but also lack the steadying hand of upperclassmen leadership that we were blessed with last year.

    Itís early January though and thereís a lot of season and maturation to play out for this group as well as potential future options that may arise for next year as well. Iím going to try to focus on the task at hand, UT Saturday, and enjoy the ride this season although itís only natural to keep an eye on how next yearís roster might shake out given the returning foundation we should have to build upon with the next class.

  12. #72

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    This whole thing is a bit odd to me. I heard from Zion's uncle last night. As I have said, he does not seem to know much about Zion's recruitment, but was always spot on with info about visits, etc. He was surprised when I told him about Clemson. He said he always considered them 3rd behind Duke and UK. He said there's some in the family that hate Clemson so he never considered them a real threat. He is going to try to get some info today but was not real confident. This one is a real head scratcher to me and to say I won't be disappointed is an understatement. For the record, his Uncle has thought for sometime he would pick Duke, so I am glad he is wrong in that regard

    Peace

    Richard (CW)
    Last edited by Carolinawildcats; 01-05-2018 at 07:14 AM.

  13. #73

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Who was the elite talent on the UNC roster last year? The Duke roster in 2015? UL 2013? Those teams had good college players, but not Anthony Davis/KAT NBA all star type talent.
    Like I said “almost always” with the other option as having veterans like I mentioned. One or the other. Unc had several veteran players as did ul. Duke had some veterans mixed with basically a Tyler Ulis and an nba bust who was a great college player.
    Go Cats!

  14. #74

    Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    This whole thing is a bit odd to me. I heard from Zion's uncle last night. As I have said, he does not seem to know much about Zion's recruitment, but was always spot on with info about visits, etc. He was surprised when I told him about Clemson. He said he always considered them 3rd behind Duke and UK. He said there's some in the family that hate Clemson so he never considered them a real threat. He is going to try to get some info today but was not real confident. This one is a real head scratcher to me and to say I won't be disappointed is an understatement. For the record, his Uncle has thought for sometime he would pick Duke, so I am glad he is wrong in that regard

    Peace

    Richard (CW)
    Thanks, CW. Man, recruiting is one wild circus.

  15. #75

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Yet, as we have seen, this is nothing compared to football recruiting, LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Thanks, CW. Man, recruiting is one wild circus.

  16. #76

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Thanks keep us posted

  17. #77

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    If this guy picks Duke...
    I will drive to the gas station. And whoever is on the other side of my pump Iím just going to punch in the face and say ďYou suck DukeĒ. Donít care who the dude is. Heís taking a punch.

  18. #78

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    This whole thing is a bit odd to me. I heard from Zion's uncle last night. As I have said, he does not seem to know much about Zion's recruitment, but was always spot on with info about visits, etc. He was surprised when I told him about Clemson. He said he always considered them 3rd behind Duke and UK. He said there's some in the family that hate Clemson so he never considered them a real threat. He is going to try to get some info today but was not real confident. This one is a real head scratcher to me and to say I won't be disappointed is an understatement. For the record, his Uncle has thought for sometime he would pick Duke, so I am glad he is wrong in that regard

    Peace

    Richard (CW)
    Keep in mind that the gurus say the buzz (started by Slater) is about Clemson, but they have no info from anyone close to Zion.

  19. #79

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    If this guy picks Duke...
    I will drive to the gas station. And whoever is on the other side of my pump I’m just going to punch in the face and say “You suck Duke”. Don’t care who the dude is. He’s taking a punch.
    If I'm on the other side of the pump, you better punch hard, cause I'm gonna be P***d of too!

  20. #80

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
    I just read elsewhere that ESPN game day is at RUPP for UK/Florida on 1/20. Is that correct? Has there ever been a recruit announce on gameday?
    Bad news

    ďBefore I leave Iíd like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    ďI would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.Ē
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

  21. #81
    Fiddlin' Five StuBleedsBlue2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    6,392

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Camby was a 4th team Parade All-American (10 players per team), so it wasn't like he wasn't a really good player; high 4* player. Jeff Sheppard was 4th team Parade All-American that year, too.
    That was an era were people got really excited about top 50 players. Jamal Mashburn was in that range too. I believe there was one service that actually had him ranked behind Gimel Martinez.

    Like Mashburn, Camby was an immediate star.

  22. #82

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    That was an era were people got really excited about top 50 players. Jamal Mashburn was in that range too. I believe there was one service that actually had him ranked behind Gimel Martinez.

    Like Mashburn, Camby was an immediate star.
    I think the highest I ever saw Mashburn rated was 8, that may have been by Gibbons prior to his senior season. He turned out to be fantastic, which shows how inexact a science rankings are.

    Booker is a more recent example, top 25ish kid who has outplayed rankings. There are a lot of kids every year that outplay their rankings.

  23. #83

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    That was an era were people got really excited about top 50 players. Jamal Mashburn was in that range too. I believe there was one service that actually had him ranked behind Gimel Martinez.

    Like Mashburn, Camby was an immediate star.
    The issue back then was that there weren't as many recruiting gurus, and they aren't as good as they were today. In addition, big-name schools like U Conn pretty much shunned Camby until very late, even though he was playing 25 miles from campus. Here's the article I mentioned in 1993 that talked about U Conn being late to the party.

    Calhoun said he first saw Camby play when he was a sophomore, but his 1 1/2 years away from high school basketball because of his transfer to Hartford Public made it hard to evaluate him. In 1988-89 and 1989-90, Camby played as a freshman and sophomore at Conard High School in West Hartford. Camby was attending the suburban school as part of Project Concern, a voluntary program of school desegregation.

    Five games into his junior season at Conard he transferred to Hartford Public. He sat out the rest of 1990-91 and 1991-92 under CIAC transfer guidelines. Camby finally got to play this past season, his fifth year in high school. He was able to play because he had not exceeded the eligibility limit of four years and had not turned 19.

    "Remember, Marcus was a name without a game," Calhoun said. "He hadn't played high school basketball."


    After the summer of 1992 U Conn began recruiting him, and according to Calhoun, pretty hard.

    "It's hard to see a kid play when he's not playing," Calhoun said. "As an example, until Donyell Marshall went to the Nike Camp he was not a heavily recruited kid, and so Marcus would not be any different except Donyell became an even bigger player because he went to Nike."

    "We went straight to California, ABCD camp, saw Marcus play out there," Calhoun said. "... We went out to the ABCD camp and I remember the phone call to Howie, I said, `Howie, this kid is a terrific athlete. He is everything these guys say he was.' He was a terrific athlete. He was a little raw, but for a kid his size he could do things you don't normally see."


    ...

    After Camby played at the Converse camp, UConn, James Madison and Providence joined UMass in the race for Camby."


    http://articles.courant.com/1993-04-...-calhoun-uconn

    Marcus averaged 10 pts, 6 rebounds a game his freshman year, and increased it to 14 pts, 6 rebs his sophomore year before blowing up and dominating his junior year for 21 pts, 8 rebounds per game. He won AP Player of the Year honors his junior season.

  24. #84
    Fiddlin' Five KSRBEvans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,860
    Blog Entries
    14

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    This whole thing is a bit odd to me. I heard from Zion's uncle last night. As I have said, he does not seem to know much about Zion's recruitment, but was always spot on with info about visits, etc. He was surprised when I told him about Clemson. He said he always considered them 3rd behind Duke and UK. He said there's some in the family that hate Clemson so he never considered them a real threat. He is going to try to get some info today but was not real confident. This one is a real head scratcher to me and to say I won't be disappointed is an understatement. For the record, his Uncle has thought for sometime he would pick Duke, so I am glad he is wrong in that regard

    Peace

    Richard (CW)
    Dear Baby Jesus, please no.
    All I did was stand up to a long laundry list of people who passed away today who couldn't stand up because what was done was wrong.--RP, 8/26/09

  25. #85

  26. #86

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by DanISSELisdaman View Post
    I love this.

    "My Crystal Ball pick is Kentucky as I write this, but I'm edging closer to changing it to Clemson. I'm not discounting Kentucky as his possible destination. Clemson, however, looks to be the best odds prediction at this point."

    So....even though I'm on record at this moment as saying Kentucky, the better bet is Clemson. And I may change it to Clemson. You know, since that's the better bet.

    From a math scheme, you'd have to think that Jerry is considering Kentucky, oh, maybe 30%? Just a WAG, but less than 50%. Yet 100% of his pick is currently Kentucky. Very misleading.

    When he changes it to Clemson, assuming he does, it will then go to 0% Kentucky. Not quite as misleading, but still shows why you should view those picks for entertainment only, and don't cling to it like, well, it's a crystal ball.

  27. #87

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by DanISSELisdaman View Post
    That's the article I mentioned earlier. The gurus don't seem overly confident.

  28. #88

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    so much for this year being a "bridge year." That is only the case if we lose no more than 3 players. Otherwise, next year will be similar to this year and last year.

    keep SGA, JV, and Richards and I think next year we can be nasty.

  29. #89

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    Quote Originally Posted by patrick54 View Post
    so much for this year being a "bridge year." That is only the case if we lose no more than 3 players. Otherwise, next year will be similar to this year and last year.

    keep SGA, JV, and Richards and I think next year we can be nasty.
    Still a bridge year. We will have a large number returning, this team doesn't have many guys prepared to go one and done and get drafted.

  30. #90

    Re: Zion Williamson will announce January 20

    My prediction is that Zion will be a Cat!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •