Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's you winter soup go to?

I'm making Chicken Tortilla soup in the crock pot. Dump a bunch of stuff in, walk away. A few hours later, deliciousness abounds. Love it.
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Re: What's you winter soup go to?

Chili and Chicken noodle are my go to soups
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Really miss chili, developed a tomato allergy in 2010. I'll sneak a few bites when the wife is not looking. White chili is good, just not the same. But she will occasionally make this one soup, that is along the lines of white chili that is pretty good. Spicy, but not the peppery flavor of chili.

For convenience now, I'll just heat up some cream of chicken on those cold days.

We had cheeseburger soup at work the other day. I had never had that and was really hoping I would like it. But to me it was bland.

Had chili Wednesday night, chicken taco soup (probably similar to your tortilla soup) last night.

Rupp's Runt

Chili, pasta fagioli, chicken noodle soup.

Oh, your pasta fagioli is one awesome recipe...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

We do the very same...very simple to concoct...
    Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    I'm making Chicken Tortilla soup in the crock pot. Dump a bunch of stuff in, walk away. A few hours later, deliciousness abounds. Love it.

I like Bearcreek brand’s cheddar potato. Just add some freshly ground black pepper and maybe crumble in a little bacon. And some hearty bread.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Fab Five

According to my daughter, I make the world’s best Chili, but I don’t put chili in the soup category. My go to soup is Italian lentil soup.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Really miss chili, developed a tomato allergy in 2010. I'll sneak a few bites when the wife is not looking. White chili is good, just not the same. But she will occasionally make this one soup, that is along the lines of white chili that is pretty good. Spicy, but not the peppery flavor of chili.

For convenience now, I'll just heat up some cream of chicken on those cold days.

We had cheeseburger soup at work the other day. I had never had that and was really hoping I would like it. But to me it was bland.
    FWIW, the best chili I have ever eaten was NOT tomato-based and it was not White. It was a chili that I concocted out of a few recipes I found and then adapted due to lack of ingredients deemed "necessary".

Ever heard of Green Chili?

That's how they do it in the Southwest. Also very popular in Colorado.

Traditionally, most Green Chili recipes have a base of Hatch Peppers. You roast them, puree them with other ingredients, etc. Also, no ground meat (even Texas Chili is not supposed to have ground, rather chunks of beef), but in this case chunks of pork (most call for pork shoulder, but I made mine with pork loin that I trimmed), dredged in flour and seared before slow cooking in the green base.

In my case, not having Hatch Peppers, I improvised by using a LOT of Tomatillos, roasted them along with some Poblano and Anaheim Peppers, used a fair amount of canned Green Chiles, blended it all up, and combined with some typical chili spices like Cumin, etc. I just kept adapting it as it slow cooked, with salt, and other spices. I also used a LOT of Serrano and Jalapeño Peppers, ground into a paste and folded into the chili to give it a ton of heat.

Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, fresh lime wedges, melted quesadilla style cheese, and blue tortilla chips as "spoons"/dipping implements.
    Last edited by Krank; 12-30-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Otherwise, my go to soups beyond a range of chili styles I like to try, would be Cuban Black Bean Soup, Navy Bean Soup, and Split Pea with Ham.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    FWIW, the best chili I have ever eaten was NOT tomato-based and it was not White. It was a chili that I concocted out of a few recipes I found and then adapted due to lack of ingredients deemed "necessary".

Ever heard of Green Chili?
    I have not, but will certainly look into it! Sounds spicy which is fine with me

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Oh, your pasta fagioli is one awesome recipe...
    Thank you, but I cannot take the credit for it. It was my Sicilian Grandmother's recipe. And it's not Sicilian in origin, it has Tuscan roots.
    But it is pretty darn good soup. ☺

You may also try some texas chili recipes, I've had a few that have no tomatoes in them. Very beef based, basically beef broth replaces the liquid from the tomatoes. Some have beans, some don't (and some people get shot over the debate), but no tomatoes.

If we count Chili then yes that's my go to. I don't think of it as a soup, but I prefer it over about any soup. I make a pretty good chili.

FOr soup I just buy commercial soups. I like New England clam chowder (I do add a little butter, paprika, etc if available to flavor it up), or Campbells' vegetable beef. I had that as a kid, always hits home when I'm sick, which is about when I have soup.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

French onion has always been a favorite, but I can never pass up a good bisque. Lobster, shrimp, crab, craw fish etc.

I've never really considered chili a soup, but I do like me some chili, both red and white, never tried green.

Damn!! Now I'm hungry!
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Beef Merlot (an easier version of Beef Bourginon, basically a beef stew with red wine):

U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I watched the whole video. It looks great, but around my house, I'm not sure we can even give it that much attention, even as easy as it is. We are more of the "throw things in the Crock-Pot" type variety.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 01-03-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Rupp's Runt

Curious as to what you guys consider chili if not a soup?

Legume.

Rupp's Runt

Seems some call it a soup, some a stew, and some say it is just chili. Per Google...

^Yeah, I always think of chili as its own category, for some reason. Like hot dogs--sandwich or no? I usually just think it's a hot dog.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

BTW, tonight is Chicken Enchilada Soup:

https://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-po...nchilada-soup/

Doing it in my Instant Pot, an electric pressure cooker. I used it a few times last year and like it but got away from it for some. Going to use it a lot more this month.

My favorite Mexican restaurant serves two chili’s, rojas and verde. The verde is my favorite. They’re not soup or stew, just strips of beef (probably flank) in a sauce, served with soft flour tortillas.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    ^Yeah, I always think of chili as its own category, for some reason. Like hot dogs--sandwich or no? I usually just think it's a hot dog.
    Yep. Chili is like barbecue, it's it's own food group.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Our go to soups are homemade vegetable soup and chili. My oldest daughter has the flu, so my wife fixed up a care package of her homemade vegetable soup. The son-in-law just left with it.

My winter soup is Bourbon...same as my summer soup
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    My winter soup is Bourbon...same as my summer soup
    Doc, I like your style!

What's you winter soup go to?

For me chili is too hearty to be a precursor to a meal.

Like first an appetizer followed by a soup, then the salad, and then the entree. I would consider chili to be more of an entree type thing... especially the way I eat chili with the cheese diced onions, and of course spaghetti pasta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    For me chili is too hearty to be a precursor to a meal.

Like first an appetizer followed by a soup, then the salad, and then the entree. I would consider chili to be more of an entree type thing... especially the way I eat chili with the cheese diced onions, and of course spaghetti pasta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    blueboss, I like how you roll! I like my chili like that too.
    There are so many different variations of how to consume chili, and most of them are good.

No onions, just some minced garlic. Onions are for bean soup, or "soup beans" as they call it in East KY. And no pasta!