Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What's you winter soup go to?

I grew up with chili having spaghetti, but now I can't stand it. No pasta at all in it. I can go without beans, without tomatoes, but can't do spaghetti any more on chili.

Just about cut out pasta completely, even though I like it, but don't like it on chili no matter what.

Now I can eat a sleeve of crackers with a bowl of it...
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I've never liked chili with spaghetti. No way no how. However, like Citizen, gimme some crackers with it. Speaking of...who eats their spaghetti with crackers and not bread?

During the holidays we went to a friends home for dinner. They made Tortellini soup. It was fantasmic!!! Never really had it before, but WOW!
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

This coming week I'm making my new favorite go-to recipe, Beef, Bean & Beer chili, plus a new Instant Pot recipe, Green Chili with Chicken. (In the mood for some spicy food, as you can tell.)
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    This coming week I'm making my new favorite go-to recipe, Beef, Bean & Beer chili, plus a new Instant Pot recipe, Green Chili with Chicken. (In the mood for some spicy food, as you can tell.)
    I use beer in my chili. I make a pretty good chili. Depending on my mood I'll use porters or pilsners.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

What's you winter soup go to?

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I use beer in my chili. I make a pretty good chili. Depending on my mood I'll use porters or pilsners.
    ... Said the guy who uses beer on his cornflakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    ... Said the guy who uses beer on his cornflakes.
    Unless I get the frosted ones, which are better with tequlia and Cointreau.

The trouble with booze in cooking is it burns off the alcohol. I do my best to put it back in through supplements, during both the cooking and eating.

I’m just a plain old country boy so give some old fashioned vegetable beef soup. My father-in-law raises veggies for a living and cans what he doesn’t sell to keep it from ruining so I have unfettered access to canned tomatoes and juice along with green beans, potatoes and several varieties of peppers.

Love vegetable beef soup with canned garden veggies. It's like a bowl of summer. My mamaw used to make that all the time.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Had chicken tortilla soup tonight, but it was at chick Salad Chick restaurant. It was still very good, and hit the spot.

Donna makes historically great chili. She made it yesterday!

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I grew up with chili having spaghetti, but now I can't stand it. No pasta at all in it. I can go without beans, without tomatoes, but can't do spaghetti any more on chili.

Just about cut out pasta completely, even though I like it, but don't like it on chili no matter what.

Now I can eat a sleeve of crackers with a bowl of it...
    I like it with rice, too. And sometimes potatoes. Yes, I said potatoes. Cut very small, bite size. But Mom almost always had spaghetti with it. Or elbows, or shell pasta. I never thought much about it, that's how she put it on the table, so that's how I hate it.
    I never saw chili with rice in it until I was in the Army. Basic Training at Ft. McClellan, AL. And everywhere else I was stationed too. Must be an Army thing.
    Adding the potatoes was a wild idea I had when I lived in Tallahassee. It's actually pretty good too, if you let it summer long enough for the potatoes to kind of cool down and actually thickens the chili a little bit. And now that I'm thinking about it, I guess you could get the same effect of you added a couple spoonfuls of instant mashed potatoes too.
    Cooking is actually the original chemistry. Add a little bit of this and that and let's see what we end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I never saw chili with rice in it until I was in the Army. Basic Training at Ft. McClellan, AL. And everywhere else I was stationed too. Must be an Army thing.
    Even though I am not TOO into having rice in chili, I have occasionally seen it served as a part of a fast food cajun menu (outside of Louisiana). Not my thing, typically, but it's not as if it changes the taste of the chili. Same goes for pasta.

Interesting what you state about the Army though. I wonder if their reasoning was that pairing rice with beans (assuming the Army served theirs with beans since it's so common outside of Texas and the Southwest) is a very healthy one-two punch, as well as being inexpensive, thus easily used in mass quantities.

What do you think?
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Never ate rice with chili until marriage. Wife from New Orleans, you eat rice with chili, red beans and rice, etc. Makes chili heartier and adds a little texture I like. Not explaining it well, but big fan of it.

Never ate rice with chili until marriage. Wife from New Orleans, you eat rice with chili, red beans and rice, etc. Makes chili heartier and adds a little texture I like. Not explaining it well, but big fan of it.
    I love red beans and rice. Black beans and rice too. Have made both homemade before, but when I make chili, I find rice or pasta superfluous, but then my chili is not "made for" it. Others maybe more so. Like I said, neither pasta nor rice takes away from the flavor of the chili.

My personal preference is to eat a big bowl with too much cheese (any good mexican cheese or mild white meltable cheese, even provolone), and some good tortilla chips.

I barely use a spoon.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

I like red beans and rice, but chili over rice is just funky red beans and rice to me. lol.

I like about everything cajun and creole, and much of it is over rice, but I think I'll keep my chili the way it is. If for no other reason than I spend most of my spare time trying to find ways to avoid carbs, not add them in. lol