Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Outdoor grill

Rupp's Runt

Outdoor grill

My wife is making me do an outdoor backyard. Paying someone, I'm not actually doing it.

Anyone have a brand or series of gas grill that has stood the test of time? I've had master forge and char-broil. No complaints, but durability has been iffy at best. For this, I want something that will last a while. Gas only, not interested in charcoal or infrared. $500-700 range.

Rupp's Runt

Re: Outdoor grill

I have been looking at a Char-Broil grill. I think the signature series.

I am partial to the Weber with stainless grill and stainless burners.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Outdoor grill

Dan, Webber is not cheap. What kind of usage have you got out of yours?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have had it for 6 or 7 years and it is still going strong. I think I paid around $800.00 for it but became convinced that this was cheaper than spending $300.00 every 3 or 4 years to replace a cheaper one. I am 64 yrs old and maybe the Weber is the last grill I have to buy.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    My wife is making me do an outdoor backyard. Paying someone, I'm not actually doing it.
    Strange. My backyard already came outdoors.

Rupp's Runt

Outdoor grill

We paid extra for that

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Strange. My backyard already came outdoors.
    Mine did too, I didn't know it was an extra perk.

We paid extra for that

Very high brow of you. Lol

Not what you're asking but I'll plug my big green egg. Not gas but gets going super quick and it's a great cooker.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I have never met a person who owns a Big Green Egg that hasn't loved it. Not sure there's ever been a universally-loved product as much as it.

Consumer Reports:

Impressive high-scoring gas grills in $400 to $700 range:
    https://www.consumerreports.org/gas-...o-700-dollars/

Best Gas Grills for $700 to $1,000:
    https://www.consumerreports.org/gas-...-1000-dollars/

Rupp's Runt

Outdoor grill

Darrell, I had looked there. Not many had glowing reviews for the prices IMO Some they rated well did not review well on other sites.

We are doing the whole backyard deal. Outdoor kitchen, patio, fire pit, landscaping, covered porch, etc...

Hot tub later in the year. And a pool later on if we could ever agree on one.

Unforgettable

Green Egg lover here, you can grill on it, meat, chicken chops, fish , ribs, turkey or use a place setter and turn it into an oven. Get the temp where you want and it stays. Did a turkey thanksgiving at 325 degrees, let it cook around 3 hours and the temp was still 325. Uses less charcoal than my Wbber charcoal grill. I refuse to use gas

Rupp's Runt

Outdoor grill

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    I refuse to use gas
    I prefer charcoal and still use my charcoal grill when I plan ahead.

Unforgettable

I prefer charcoal and still use my charcoal grill when I plan ahead.

The green egg uses less charcoal, when finished cooking just shut it off, add more charcoal next time to what's left. Starts quicker also and holds heat. I gave in and got it in August. Love it. Next I love my Webber charcoal. I have a bigger charcoal grill for when I have to cook a lot. Yes 3 charcoal grills on my patio. . I am taking the Webber to my deer camp

The thing about the egg is you don't have to plan as much as you may think. I never used charcoal b/c of the timing, but this sold me.

You fill it up, and it is so efficient you'll get 2-3 or 4 cooking cycles out of it. It fires up really fast so you really don't have much more time than it takes for gas to get the grill good and hot. Maybe 5 minutes.

Then when you're done you close it off, it goes out and all the charcoal is ready for next time. It's super efficient, I use natural charcoal in it and it works great.

I use those old fashioned pressed little squares to start it up. Put in a couple and snug them under charcoal, light them and let it draft. Takes no time.

It's longer than gas but not by a whole lot. I was really surprised.

Anyway, not a sales pitch, just my experience with it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Citizen, you and Skip have convinced to to look at the egg. I’m a life long Weber guy. But first does anyone have experience with the Komado Joe?
    Real Fan since 1958

I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I was surprised I liked it as much as I did. I don't get to cook much but I really wouldn't swap it for anything else even given that it's a slightly longer startup time. It's still really quick on and off and you can do so much with it.

I just switched last year from a lifetime of disposable charbroil type Charcoal grills that might last two to three years if lucky to a relatively inexpensive infrared gas grill. Grumbled while I did it, but had reached point where I just wasn't grilling due to the setup time and supplies.

I did not realize the big green egg was as convenient to use as everyone says. If I had known that, I may have considered it. When my life stops being crazy with 14 different schedules and such, I'll probably look hard at it. For now, it's just too easy to press the switch and have it heat up instantly and cook. My son does it if I'm not home, wife can, etc.

Not my favorite, but at least I grill now.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Citizen, you and Skip have convinced to to look at the egg. I’m a life long Weber guy. But first does anyone have experience with the Komado Joe?

Mick, my neighbor has the Joe, has not lasted at all. Rusted, parts on the lid have broken. Cheaper but not as well made
    I use electric stater on my Egg, plug it in extension cord, stick next to charcoal and in 40 seconds I have a flame.
    For steaks, run the temp up to 700 degrees, cook 90 seconds, flip it, 90 seconds, turn everything off and let steak finish cooking.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I just switched last year from a lifetime of disposable charbroil type Charcoal grills that might last two to three years if lucky to a relatively inexpensive infrared gas grill. Grumbled while I did it, but had reached point where I just wasn't grilling due to the setup time and supplies.

I did not realize the big green egg was as convenient to use as everyone says. If I had known that, I may have considered it. When my life stops being crazy with 14 different schedules and such, I'll probably look hard at it. For now, it's just too easy to press the switch and have it heat up instantly and cook. My son does it if I'm not home, wife can, etc.

Not my favorite, but at least I grill now.
    Some of my friends swear by the infrared stuff. I just don't think I would like them.

Some of my friends swear by the infrared stuff. I just don't think I would like them.
    Love the cooking with it, hate the cleaning. But for me, that's the right trade-off. It allows me to cook immediately, clean at my leisure. But it is different. Has a lot of power.

Infrared is da bomb, but there are several things one can do with the egg that can not be done easily on a conventional gas or infrared grill.
    seeya
    dan

Infrared would probably be my 2nd choice, and it's that b/c of cleaning and as Dan said I can do so much on the egg.

I'm only really going to have one of these. At one point I considered a big outdoor kitchen thing, but I'm glad I didn't b/c I wouldn't have used it. But the Egg lets me do everything from steaks to a full rib or a turkey no problem, so it's just great for all around cooking.

It's not the end all be all, you do have to get the hang of getting your temps right, but that does come. You have to have the cast iron vented top to get it controlled right IMO. My Brother in Law got his so hot he melted his felt ring, and my mom got her's stuck frozen and had to replace it, but that's minor.

Overall I really like it, but it won't be perfect for everyone, and truthfully I cook so rarely these days I may not be a good enough sample size.

I also cook at our auction gallery b/c we have concessions and I have them do the hot dogs and burgers on a grill, we just use a cheap propane for that one and it's still pretty dang good. For that kind of taks I woudln't really want an egg I don't think b/c it's so quick both to start but also so quick to just get a char on the dogs and you're done, so for 10 minutes worth of cooking I woudln't want anything but propane. I might like the flavor a bit better with the charcoal, but not enough to make it worth the trouble for that task.

Rupp's Runt

Outdoor grill

What size egg do you guys have? Happy with the size?

I have the large. There is an extra large that's oval shaped. I'd definitely get the large. If you're doing more than one turkey at a time type thing, where you need to fit a bunch then the largest, but the large is sufficient for a lot.

I'll say this: I replaced the cooking grates on my gas grill with cast-iron grates, and it was money well spent. Not a huge investment (about $50, IIRC) but really nice grill marks and even heating. So whatever grill you end up getting, consider the cooking surface and whether an upgrade will help you get a better end product.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19