Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Rupp's Runt

Sharps Rifle Co. Relia-bolt

Does anyone here have any experience with a Sharps Rifle Company product called the Relia-Bolt? It is an aftermarket bolt carrier group for the AR-15 rifle.
    It is made out of a heat-treated metal that is supposedly many times harder than a standard mil-spec bolt carrier group, in addition to the BCG being shaped slightly differently with some minor modifications. It is also advertised as being much easier to clean, and has more lubricity than a standard mil-spec BCG.
    I have seen several YouTube videos, and it gets good reviews. There are a couple of bad reviews too, but overall it gets good grades.
    How about ya, CBBN? Any of my other firearms people here? Thanks in advance.
    MOLON LABE!

Rupp's Runt

Re: Sharps Rifle Co. Relia-bolt

Anyone? Anybody here have any experience with this AR-15 bolt carrier group?

Rupp's Runt

Sharps Rifle Co. Relia-bolt

I'll ask my friend. He may not read it until next week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Afraid I don't deal much in AR15 parts and such. I know a little bit, but not a ton. Honestly I just don't get much of them, people tend to hold onto their ARs.

ARs run good but they come from some temperamental roots. Much of it caused by Defense ordnance building the early M16s wrong, but most of it is well fixed by now.

A harder bolt may be good, but harder metal is more brittle too. The biggest issues with the bolt in an AR is it locking up right and the feed ramp. some get picky about ammo. My only negative thought would be that an overly hard bolt may actually create more wear on other surrounding parts, but I haven't researched it.

So it may depend on which parts they are replacing. Sounds like it's not the whole upper, but the whole carrier group. May be a nice upgrade, but I just haven't worked with them enough to really offer good advice.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

The way it is designed, it seems like it might work better in the sense that overall it weighs about the same as a standard mil-spec BCG, but it also has parts that meet metal-to-metal better, is made out of materials that clean up better and easier, and is reported to need less lubrication because the metals in the BCG are harder. I thought about the metal being more brittle because it is harder, but from most reports it doesn't seem to be a negative.
    While I am not a big supporter of aftermarket products that replace the original equipment, I am seriously leaning toward investing in one of these BCG's and testing the snot out of it.
    If I do I will give you guys a sitrep on the results. But any other feedback that any of you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Rupp's Runt

not much info from my friend but....

Despite he and his dad having about 50 ARs together, they do not have a relia-bolt. He knows people that have them and they like them, but he says the original bolt works just fine and has not been able to justify paying for a relia-bolt.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    not much info from my friend but....

Despite he and his dad having about 50 ARs together, they do not have a relia-bolt. He knows people that have them and they like them, but he says the original bolt works just fine and has not been able to justify paying for a relia-bolt.
    Thanks, KW.
    Decisions, decisions.........

Got to give credit. It's a cool name.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Got to give credit. It's a cool name.
    Indeed it is!