Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Cough Syrup

Rupp's Runt

Cough Syrup

This time every year, I develop a cough that will not go away. I've tried steroids, OTC meds, etc...

I've not tried, but ready to try an old whiskey recipe. So share one if you have one....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Rupp's Runt

Cough Syrup

I don't know much about alcohol...so be specific please

Bombino

Cough Syrup

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    This time every year, I develop a cough that will not go away. I've tried steroids, OTC meds, etc...

I've not tried, but ready to try an old whiskey recipe. So share one if you have one....

I am not being a smartass (for a change), but just drink bourbon neat. No mixer, no ice, just sip. 90 proof or better, but don’t exceed your proof tolerance. It will warm you, and cut any crud in your throat. It just helps. And also makes you happy. Worst case, it makes you a happy sick person.

Best case, drink it every day before you get sick. It has worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Practically, it was more like a Roman army decimation -- a brutally harsh punishment levied by a ruthless hegemon, an act with a message: Don't mess with us.”

- Eamonn Brennan, ESPN

Rupp's Runt

Cough Syrup

BigBlue92, I'm willing to pass out for a good night sleep...

Re: Cough Syrup

one ounce or one shot of Bourbon
    maybe an ounce or two of water (optional)
    the juice of half a lemon
    one to two tablespoons of honey.

Mix first 3 ingredients together and heat in microwave for 45 secs. Add homey and stir well. Sip as needed to relieve the cough.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I think you're on the right track. I'd look at one of the formulae above that includes honey. I saw a study done a few years ago that showed that a 2.5 mL dose of honey had a better affect on viral upper respiratory coughs compared to the OTC gold standard, dextromethrophan. Plus it tastes better.

But even though you didn't ask about OTC stuff, I thought I'd throw this in just in case it helps. I'm not very good with the other, but having 5 kids, and allergies my entire life, battling colds, etc. and just having a natural inquisitive state (in addition to a dislike of taking unnecessary meds), led me to having some walking-around knowledge of this kind of stuff.

First, is the cough a "dry, hacking" cough, or a productive, wet one? If it's a productive cough, you definitely want to take guaifenesin, which helps to break up the secretions and mucus. If it's a dry, hacking cough, then sure, a cough suppressant is the way to go.

If you have sinus drainage, you may need to look at an antihistamine. Control what is causing the drainage. One of them is not equal to the other; and your body may get "used to" one, and you may need to switch to another. The big ones are Allegra, Claritin and Zyrtec.

A lot of folks believe in sudafed (the one you use to make meth and have to sign for, not the one you can just pull off the shelf, which is practically useless). That opens up the nasal cavities, but it won't stop the drainage. Also, you don't want to take that at night, because it will act as an "upper," and keep you awake. I like the 12-hour one to take in the morning and allow it to wear off by bedtime.

If it's a thick discharge that causes the cough, using an expectorant and thinning the mucus can be very helpful--this applies to colds as well as allergies. Try some version of mucinex (guaifenesin) to thin it. It will allow it to be easily swallowed and you won't have the cough impulse. Some of those pills are huge and can be hard to swallow, especially if you're already having a discharge, but it also comes in syrup format as well (Tussin or Robitussin. I don't view Robitussin as a "cough medicine," per se, but as an expectorant, unless it is combined with a suppressant, discussed below).

There are a lot of "combo" cough medicines that combine various ones of the above, and i like to target exactly what's going on and do it myself, but you can find ones that often have exactly what you want.

For cough relief OTC, nothing beats Delsym (dextromethorphan). It's the best cough suppressant OTC, I believe, and lasts for 12 hours. Not as good as codeine, but good. It will not treat an asthma or smoking-related cough. Robitussin DM is one of those "combo" ones that combines dextromethorphan with guaifenesin. I can't recall now if it has a 12-hour extended version or not. For some reason, I'm thinking not, but I'm not looking it up, and could be wrong.

Final bullet point notes:

* If it's a productive cough, you don't necessarily want to suppress it--except to get sleep.
    * If productive, use an expectorant to thin mucus and make it easier to swallow. Also drink a ton of water and liquids with it. It thins it as well. Do NOT drink milk, as it thickens mucus.
    * If nonproductive, use an effective suppressant. Try the ingredient in Delsym. But honey may be as good or better. Adding it with the whiskey drinks is probably just as good or better than anything else.

Great info Darrell.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

No clue how anyone can drink this for enjoyment....

I've got a persistent cough too. I keep it at bay with a rotating routine of beer, vodka, and tequila. It helps, but I need to do more.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

I am a big fan of Mucinex DM Fast Max cough syrup. It clears the congestion.

My sinuses were killing me coming home from Chicagomafter the Kansas game. I thought my head was going to explode. The next am the cough and congestion set in. I was out of Mucinex. When I went to the drug store I saw they had display after display of MucinexDM gel capsules. It is a new product and they still have the cough syrup. In one package they had spearately packed daytime and nighttime capsules.

Within about 20 minutes the sinus pressure was gone, the chest congestion relieved and the cough was controlled and productive. It’s the only OTC product I have ever been fully satisfied with using.
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

The bourbon has helped some. Not sure if it was the "medicine" aspect or that I have been able to sleep. I still have something in my throat/lungs that will cause a sporadic cough, but I can talk without coughing. I finished my bottle a few days. If it gets worse I guess I'll go back to the doctor but so far he just says "I don't know why you are coughing". We kind of joke about it.

I've tried everything:
    Mucinex, steroids, allergy meds (take those anyway), humidifier, steam, cold, etc...Bourbon has been the best help so far.