Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Portable standing desk options here

First, I picked up a "laptop stand" at Office Depot a year or so ago, put a portable podium on it and have it in the corner of my office. It is my standing desk for reading, reviewing, writing, etc. I have a nice desk lamp on it and the podium has slots in it where i can put entire files or a notebook or whatever. I use it once or twice a day and enjoy the break.

Now what I'm thinking is this. I use a Surface Pro 3 at my home office, hooked up to an external monitor and a docking station. I have a small monitor riser that fits well for the laptop screen and a "blue switch" external keyboard that just works great. Add in my ergonomic anker trac ball wireless "mouse," and it's ideal.

But occasionally, I like to take the Surface Pro 3 "on the road" with me to my office. The main reason is when I do separate billing and tax preparation. I have other software on it that I do not have on my office computer. Not to get too specific, but there are two different "businesses" and it allows me to keep one separate from the other.

What I typically do is this--just bring my Surface Pro with the type cover keyboard--just ok, but for short term use, it's ok. Sit it on my desk, and hunch over. Difficult to get a proper height on it to type and to view the monitor because it's a laptop substitute.

So here's what I'm considering, and all relate to standing at my desk. One of 3 options.

a) Portable laptop stand. This one adjusts in 15 degree angles, and tilts so the monitor goes up higher. Wouldn't be perfect, but better than now. Here's the one I've been looking at. I've heard it has sold for as low as $39, so I'll keep looking.

https://www.amazon.com/Executive-Off...e+laptop+stand

b) "Make your own" stand. Now this one intrigues me. With IKEA materials for a cost of $22, you can have something that has a dual level, for both keyboard and monitor. Now, if I did this, I would also buy a bluetooth keyboard so that I could use it separately with the laptop--but that would be a good thing, as I could improve the typing experience with a quality bluetooth keyboard.

Here are the instructions. Seems simple. Almost as simple as upgrading a Palm Pilot.

http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-St...2-dollars.html

Note--one of the pieces is no longer being sold, and would have to be substituted. Otherwise, it looks very simple and easy to do. I like the price. Problem--this MAY be too big for what I want. I almost want something that would just sit on the corner of my desk when I need it. In fact, if they had a "smaller" version of the same thing, it might be the best of all worlds. Might have to look for smaller "side tables" to make that work.

c) Standing desk converter. By and large, this one has had good reviews. It only has one level, though. It's more of a standing desk converter for a desktop, it seems to me, than a laptop, which is what I'm seeking, but could probably work.

https://www.dealgenius.com/adjustabl...cid=c1k1_earei

Some guy suggested buying two stackable shoe racks at Target for $10 each and putting them back to back to make one, but I don't think I want to go there.

I've been very pleased with the standing desk, but this might allow me to bring my laptop to the office more often, and/or to use it for longer periods of time.

Thoughts?

Re: Portable standing desk options here

Pictures.

a) Executive Office Solutions Portable Adjustable Aluminum laptop stand $70

b) IKEA DIY $22

c) $59 Standing Desk Converter

Several people have option (c) where I work. They like it and it seems to work well for them.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Several people have option (c) where I work. They like it and it seems to work well for them.
    Thanks. Do they use it with a desktop and monitor or laptop?

I like the simplicity of that one.

Here's what I ended up doing. I made the Ikea one. Came out great. Cheap as all get out. Cost $11 for the materials (side table, shelf, and two brackets) plus $2 for screws (most of you probably already have them). Shipping was $10, but still less than $25 for the entire thing.

I'll attach a pic...try not to get too much of my messy office in it (I'm working today).

Oh--I also bought a K480 Logitech bluetooth keyboard. Got it for $27. Thing is terrific. Much better than the keyboard I use at my office (not as good as the mechanical keyboard I have for my home office). Plus it connects to three different devices. I had a client text me a few minutes ago about a tax seizure. I could not have typed the lengthy explanation of what to do, what the strategy would be, etc. by hand, but turned the dial to the phone, and typed it on the keyboard. Oh, man....just glorious. I love it.

Will edit this and attach pic in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Here's what I ended up doing. I made the Ikea one. Came out great. Cheap as all get out. Cost $11 for the materials (side table, shelf, and two brackets) plus $2 for screws (most of you probably already have them). Shipping was $10, but still less than $25 for the entire thing.

I'll attach a pic...try not to get too much of my messy office in it (I'm working today).

Oh--I also bought a K480 Logitech bluetooth keyboard. Got it for $27. Thing is terrific. Much better than the keyboard I use at my office (not as good as the mechanical keyboard I have for my home office). Plus it connects to three different devices. I had a client text me a few minutes ago about a tax seizure. I could not have typed the lengthy explanation of what to do, what the strategy would be, etc. by hand, but turned the dial to the phone, and typed it on the keyboard. Oh, man....just glorious. I love it.

Will edit this and attach pic in a minute.
    That's my surface pro 3 on top. It's not a perfect angle because it's so small, but it's fine. My idea is to use this 2-3 times a day for 20-30 minutes, maybe up to an hour at a time. Just force me to get up out of my chair from time to time. I love it so far.

Oh--and you may see the standing desk I have in the corner. That is where I read and review documents and keep my organizational notebooks. Works pretty well, too.

Another pic. I keep my phone on the blue mouse pad for now, haven't been using the mouse.

The print on the wall is of a street car on St. Charles Avenue. New Orleans is never far from my mind.

I should also include this pic on the opposite wall. Kentucky is never far from my mind, either.

OK, I had one of those multi-leg foldy things. I needed it for trade shows, saw it in an article on Japanese tech, was REALLY hard to locate one but it was perfect for that b/c it looked crisp but didn't take heavy use. That has to be 10 years ago now.

It worked OK but wasn't terribly sturdy, the biggest thing is it didn't have enough heft so it would move too easy when working. It was tolerable but probably not great long term.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I highly recommend the IKEA hack. Light and sturdy. Table was $7, shelf $3, brackets $1. Easy.

Problem is storage. Doesn't fold and larger than I expected. It sits perfectly to the side of my desk when not in use, so it's not an issue for me, but it could be for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I highly recommend the IKEA hack. Light and sturdy. Table was $7, shelf $3, brackets $1. Easy.

Problem is storage. Doesn't fold and larger than I expected. It sits perfectly to the side of my desk when not in use, so it's not an issue for me, but it could be for others.
    FWIW, I abandoned it. Took up too much space. Found a small metal Z-folding kinda thing, used it for awhile, and then gave up on standing desks for now. Truth is, I work in three different offices and two different schools right now, so I'm not even at one place for 8 hours; usually no more than 3 hours at a time.

I am using my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard more with my phone, though. I really like that it has a built-in shelf at the top of the keys, and I can see the display on it. The keyboard is so light that I carry it everywhere like you'd carry a notebook, but it's a full sized keyboard, just well spaced.

Typing on it now, in fact.

What I ended up getting for the standing desk was something that looks exactly like that $70 option, but I paid about $25-30 for it, IIRC. I'm WAY too cheap to pay that much for it.

I may have had something like that Z folding thing. I had one I had to just about order from Japan, used it for trade shows eons ago as it sat a laptop at the right height on a table for people to see, and we could change the angle and lock it in place.

Handy thing, but I think it broke at some point after I didn't need one and I never replaced it.

I invested in a really good chair, and that has helped more than anything with my back and my wrists.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.