Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Leah Edmond named first-team All-American by AVCA Volleyball

That's *the* preeminent source in NCAA volleyball.

The 14 First team selections:

Florida middle blocker Rhamat Alhassan
    Utah OH Adora Anae
    Purdue MB/OH Danielle Cuttino
    Kentucky OH Leah Edmond
    Stanford S Jenna Gray
    Stanford L Morgan Hentz
    Nebraska S Kelly Hunter
    USC OH Khalia Lanier
    Penn State OH Simone Lee
    Texas MB Chiaka Ogbogu
    Stanford OH Kathryn Plummer
    Wisconsin MB Dana Rettke
    Minnesota RS Stephanie Samedy
    Penn State MB Haleigh Washington

National Freshman of the Year: Wisconsin MB Dana Rettke

Second and Third-Team All-Americans and Honorable Mention All-Americans will be announced in the next few minutes. Expect several Kentucky players on these lists. Remember, Kentucky's setter from last year was an All-American, beaten out by freshman Madison Lilley. Should have some good participation on these teams.

Re: Leah Edmond named first-team All-American by AVCA Volleyball

Madison Lilley named 2nd team All-American

Kaz Brown, Ashley Dusek named Honorable Mention All-American

Leah Edmond is back-to-back All-American, making 3rd team last year. She is the 2nd Kentucky Wildcat to garner multiple All-American Honors (Whitney Billings of Birmingham did it in 2012 and 2013).

With Edmond and Lilley making All-American, this is the 2nd time in Kentucky history that Kentucky has had multiple AVCA All-Americans. Only other time was in 1983.

Thanks Darrell. All four of those players are well deserving of the acknowledgement of their play this past season.
    seeya
    dan

“I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.” Hunter S Thompson

Somewhat off-topic, but sort of related--I am going to be very interested to see what happens with Olivia Dailey this year. She was an "All-American" last year (I never know when to call someone that or not; it appears the AVCA definition is one of the first three teams, but UK must use Honorable Mention as sufficient, because they called here that this year.)

After a few sets very early, she did not play a point after Madison Lilley took over full-time.

Seems to be to be tailor-made for some "season-ending" injury that occurred in the first half of the season, and she played well less than the maximum amount to qualify for a medical hardship waiver. That would give her this season back, and one more. Volleyball is one of the sports (like most sports--just not the most popular ones) in the NCAA that allow transfer and immediate eligibility. I wonder if we will see her apply for a medical hardship waiver, transfer to another school--she's very good, and could play at most places--and play her final two years elsewhere?

I like having her on the team; if there's any reason to have Madison Lilley rest, an injury, whatever, Dailey is more than capable. Plus every day in practice, having two quality setters, one on each side of the net, provide a superior practice experience that better gets Kentucky ready for their opponents--frankly, few teams Kentucky faced this year had a setter as good as Olivia Dailey.

But having a "backup" setter that good may be a luxury Kentucky can't afford to keep. I am not in touch with her mom since my daughter stopped playing for her club and I stopped being a relief coach for them years ago, but I hope it works out for her. She seemed very supportive of the team all year.

During the season, I often wondered why she did not get any minutes. It seems like everyone else on the team went in and out in rotation for a blow, but Lilley played most games with no rotational relief. Coach Skinner is a lot smarter about volleyball than me so I am sure he had his reasons, but I would have liked to see Dailey on the court more in the last 1/4 of the season.

If she is in the plans for more PT next year, I sure hope she sticks around.
    seeya
    dan

“I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.” Hunter S Thompson

Maybe she had asthma....

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    During the season, I often wondered why she did not get any minutes. It seems like everyone else on the team went in and out in rotation for a blow, but Lilley played most games with no rotational relief. Coach Skinner is a lot smarter about volleyball than me so I am sure he had his reasons, but I would have liked to see Dailey on the court more in the last 1/4 of the season.

If she is in the plans for more PT next year, I sure hope she sticks around.

I'm pretty sure her not playing was for her benefit (if I'm right with my rank speculation). If she had played in the 2nd half of the season at all, she could not claim a medical hardship waiver for this year, where she was beaten out by Madison Lilley, and where honestly, the more Lilley played, the better she was going to be, the more the teammates knew what to expect, etc. Just a position that you don't need to have substitutes going in and out. You can sub an outside hitter fine without changing much, but not your setter.