Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What speciality foods do you buy from retail places? (E.G., Omaha Steaks)

Just curious.

BEvans had a post about ham, and it made me think about Honeybaked Ham, which we will buy once or twice a year, maybe. Got a $7 coupon in the mail yesterday which also reminded me of it.

Have bought Omaha Steaks before and enjoyed those.

But I'm really interested in local places. I'll start with one I recently discovered for the first time.

For Thanksgiving this year, there's a place open Thursday through Saturday only, limited hours -- JaWanda's Sweet Potato Pies, next door to where I'm having physical therapy on my shoulder. I bought a Sweet Potato Pecan Pie with Pralines that was literally the best pie I've ever eaten. I met JaWanda the day before Thanksgiving (not normally opened), and they were swamped, with signs saying they had not been taking new orders for a week. I looked pitiful and asked if they had anything, and her husband took pity on me, and showed me the Sweet Potato Pecan Pie with Pralines. Oh, man.

Her place:

Their Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/JaWandas-Sw...1925327337821/

Re: What speciality foods do you buy from retail places? (E.G., Omaha Steaks)

We buy Laura’s Lean Beef at our local Koger stores. It’s a bit of a speciality item. Farm raised to exacting specifications with no steroids, growth hormones or antibiotics. As healthy as beef can beef. Pretty good and reasonable too.

This time of year we have already ordered and received a bunch or cheese from an online business in Wisconsin. My wife orders it and I would have to ask her for the business name. It is wickedly good if one is a cheese fan like me.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    This time of year we have already ordered and received a bunch or cheese from an online business in Wisconsin. My wife orders it and I would have to ask her for the business name. It is wickedly good if one is a cheese fan like me.
    who do you use?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

There's a place in Louisville with some "specialty" items. Called Katina's something or other. Just ask for the special. #U6 on the menu.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

I'm interested, too. Let us know when you find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    There's a place in Louisville with some "specialty" items. Called Katina's something or other. Just ask for the special. #U6 on the menu.
    You bad boy.

Quote Originally Posted by KMSBball View Post
    We buy Laura’s Lean Beef at our local Koger stores. It’s a bit of a speciality item. Farm raised to exacting specifications with no steroids, growth hormones or antibiotics. As healthy as beef can beef. Pretty good and reasonable too.
    I always like the "and reasonable too" part. I look for that a lot.

Hennings Wisconsin Cheese be da place
    seeya
    dan

Hennings Wisconsin Cheese be da place
    Holy crap, do you order their "mammoth" wheel? those things are bigger than tires on earth movers. There's one in the pic that's 3,500lb. That's as much as a car.

Edit: they say they can make them up to 12,000lb. What the heck do you do with a 12,000 wheel of cheese? Feed a 40,000lb mouse?
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 12-13-2017 at 06:26 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

OK Dan, so what do you order from them? This place is intriguing.

Big cheese fan myself.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Rupp's Runt

Cheese fanatic. Thanks Dan. I will be placing an order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Cheese fanatic. Thanks Dan. I will be placing an order.

For how many tons?

Rupp's Runt

Between myself, dad, and brother we could probably do a ton in a week or so. If I have an addiction...it is probably cheese.

Fab Five

JaWanda's is good. My personal favorite is the homemade Hot Italian Sausage at Mr. P's Deli in Bluff Park. It is the secret to my special meatballs. I always have a pound in the freezer for emergencies. I also grill it and freeze it. When I want a quick meal I take a hunk off the grilled link, cut it into slices and drop it in some marinara. Mr. P also stuffs pork chops with the sausage. Mixes it with cornbread for the filling. Fabulous on the grill.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    OK Dan, so what do you order from them? This place is intriguing.
    White cheddar, mild cheddar, smoked provolone, smoked gouda, parmesean, bacon processed cheese, smoked swiss, and colby jack. There may be more but those are the ones I remember for sure.
    seeya
    dan

White cheddar, mild cheddar, smoked provolone, smoked gouda, parmesean, bacon processed cheese, smoked swiss, and colby jack. There may be more but those are the ones I remember for sure.
    I presume in those $5-$6 packs and not the wheels.

Rupp's Runt

Who is hosting the KSR cheese wheel party?

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Who is hosting the KSR cheese wheel party?

Next question...who is going to cut the cheese?
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Next question...who is going to cut the cheese?
    You're the one with the thongs.....

Rupp's Runt

Made my order. 6 month aged cheddar, their award winning colby, and ranch cheese curds.

Dan, does the shipping change much with the size of the order? Are you better off making a big order? Those 3 were $15, and $15 in shipping.

It does vary by poundage, but there is a base level of $12.00 even for the smallest order. Our normal shipping for a 15 lb order to be delivered in 2 days is $23.00.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    JaWanda's is good. My personal favorite is the homemade Hot Italian Sausage at Mr. P's Deli in Bluff Park. It is the secret to my special meatballs. I always have a pound in the freezer for emergencies. I also grill it and freeze it. When I want a quick meal I take a hunk off the grilled link, cut it into slices and drop it in some marinara. Mr. P also stuffs pork chops with the sausage. Mixes it with cornbread for the filling. Fabulous on the grill.
    Sorry I missed this earlier. Sounds great. My son and I love good sausage. Nobody else in my family does, but we can eat enough by ourselves to justify that purchase.

Fab Five

Mr. P also fixes a mean muffaletta for lunch. My favorite sandwich there is the Goldenberg. Cajun turkey and Cajun chicken.
    Real Fan since 1958

Mr. P also fixes a mean muffaletta for lunch. My favorite sandwich there is the Goldenberg. Cajun turkey and Cajun chicken.
    Sounds like a lunch meeting is needed. Round up Darryl and let's go. Available most weekdays at lunch!

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Sounds like a lunch meeting is needed. Round up Darryl and let's go. Available most weekdays at lunch!
    We’ll need to avoid the noon rush.
    Real Fan since 1958

Unforgettable

Miss State makes and sells excellent cheese, we go thru about 7 boxes of cheddar a year.mmi don't know what all they have but you have to order early to get it for Christmas. A MSU friend of mind orders ours in August. I get 3 boxes for my dad

We’ll need to avoid the noon rush.
    The time doesn't matter to me, but if the preference is to go at a more reasonable lunch time, we can go another place. Unfortunately, I can eat just about any time.

Rupp's Runt

Cheese was really good. Next time I'll get a sharper cheddar. I wanted to this time but I was afraid the wife wouldn't like it but she did. I'll probably get the 1 year aged next and maybe some older.

Colby was good as any I've had but Colby can only be so good IMO

I bought the curds for someone else so I didn't get to try them.

I'll probably try it all at some point lol