Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

A new gun control bill just passed the House.

What's in it, and will it pass the Senate?
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Sort of the opposite from gun control. More gun uncontrol.

Would allow those of us with concealed weapon permit in one state to legally carry in another.

Re: A new gun control bill just passed the House.

Then NAGR isn't to be trusted. They're saying Dianne Feinstein backed the expansion of the Brady-NICS Gun Control Database and that ALL of the anti-gun provisions of H.R. 4477 (and then some) were added to H.R.38, the National Reciprocity bill.

You believe anything Dianne Feinstein says? Shame on you. She is a politician and therefore by definition is a liar
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    You believe anything Dianne Feinstein says? Shame on you. She is a politician and therefore by definition is a liar
    She's not whom I'm quoting. It's the National Association of Gun Rights who, I must admit, seems to lean a tad toward the hysterical.

A new gun control bill just passed the House.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    She's not whom I'm quoting. It's the National Association of Gun Rights who, I must admit, seems to lean a tad toward the hysterical.
    It's NRA sponsored. I think I'd start ignoring the National Association of Gun Rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    It's NRA sponsored. I think I'd start ignoring the National Association of Gun Rights.
    Sounds good to me. Thanks.

Bill is fine as far as it goes, but I have doubts Constitutionally both ways. I have to think about it some.

Even when a federal law is something I like, like expanding gun ownership rights, I still don't want it if it undermines Constitutional principles. I just haven't had time to consider if this is a federal issue. Obviously as a Constitutional right it's federal, but is the implementation of that right federal?

Probably so to be honest. Clearly the bill of rights trumps federalism, but it still concerns me at some level.

Esp. b/c I know how vastly different state licensing is for carry permits. Kentucky has a very good course you take, some states just hand you a permit. Some dont' require one at all (and Kentucky is heading that way). Reconciling all of those options is tough. Should a state that has a higher standard be forced to accept a lower one?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Some of the NICS stuff that Feinstein endorses isn't expected to make it through the Senate version.

Here's an article against the bill for reasons CBBN discussed, but toward the end it discusses strengthening background checks. Evidently that's the "control" part that doesn't bother the NRA.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...-on-gun-safety

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Here's an article against the bill for reasons CBBN discussed, but toward the end it discusses strengthening background checks. Evidently that's the "control" part that doesn't bother the NRA.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...-on-gun-safety
    The NRA and NSSF have been pushing to improve the NICS reporting for years, and NSSF has gone state to state to try to get laws requiring that NICS be informed since Sandy Hook. they got ZERO help from the Obama administration in doing it.

Notice that after 8 years of Obama it was the military that failed to report to NICS on the Texas church shooting. For a guy up all night worried about gun ownership you'd think they would have gotten that done.

This article overall is the typical hysterics of being anti-carry, but yes I do believe it starts actually requiring agencies to update NICS with the correct information, which the gun industry has wanted for a long time.

But in general I have real doubts about the national carry law. yes the current one is a pain in the butt patchwork, welcome to the wonderful world of Federalism. I haven't had time to really look at it in detail, but reconciling all the vast details of how 50 states have done these laws is quite a challenge.

I did love the line in the story about how we don't want guns in bars. Kentucky has some of that same thinking. OK great, so what happens to me when I walk to and from that bar? I'm not going to some biker bar with fights every night, I'm going someplace nice where people sit and drink a few beers.

Liked the one about worrying about who in Vegas or Times Square next you may be carrying. Uh, I hope EVERYONE. I love going places where I know every 4th or 5th person is armed, or more. As long as the bad guys know it we're safe as can be.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    The NRA and NSSF have been pushing to improve the NICS reporting for years, and NSSF has gone state to state to try to get laws requiring that NICS be informed since Sandy Hook. they got ZERO help from the Obama administration in doing it.

Notice that after 8 years of Obama it was the military that failed to report to NICS on the Texas church shooting. For a guy up all night worried about gun ownership you'd think they would have gotten that done.

This article overall is the typical hysterics of being anti-carry, but yes I do believe it starts actually requiring agencies to update NICS with the correct information, which the gun industry has wanted for a long time.

But in general I have real doubts about the national carry law. yes the current one is a pain in the butt patchwork, welcome to the wonderful world of Federalism. I haven't had time to really look at it in detail, but reconciling all the vast details of how 50 states have done these laws is quite a challenge.

I did love the line in the story about how we don't want guns in bars. Kentucky has some of that same thinking. OK great, so what happens to me when I walk to and from that bar? I'm not going to some biker bar with fights every night, I'm going someplace nice where people sit and drink a few beers.

Liked the one about worrying about who in Vegas or Times Square next you may be carrying. Uh, I hope EVERYONE. I love going places where I know every 4th or 5th person is armed, or more. As long as the bad guys know it we're safe as can be.
    I don't think Obama wanted to prevent gun violence, he just wanted to push Congress to take away gun rights from the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I don't think Obama wanted to prevent gun violence, he just wanted to push Congress to take away gun rights from the masses.
    If he did want to there are multiple steps he could have taken, but didn't. Fixing NICS is one of them. Yes the states should be required to report this information, as should federal agencies. Also get it staffed right so the research can be done quickly and accurately.

Then go after those who are submitting false 4473 forms. That alone would do a lot, and none of it requires new laws.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    If he did want to there are multiple steps he could have taken, but didn't. Fixing NICS is one of them. Yes the states should be required to report this information, as should federal agencies. Also get it staffed right so the research can be done quickly and accurately.

Then go after those who are submitting false 4473 forms. That alone would do a lot, and none of it requires new laws.
    Yet he did none of those things. Occasionally someone will have a legitimate error on the 4473, but it has to be rare.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Yet he did none of those things. Occasionally someone will have a legitimate error on the 4473, but it has to be rare.
    The thing that will flag is if they are a felon trying to buy a gun. The felony will come up on the NICS, and they know exactly where the person is at that moment and that they very likely just committed another felony by falsifying the form. Call the local cops and go arrest the guy.

Good description from an Alabama Representative here, Bradley Byrne.

http://yellowhammernews.com/national...74252-68605681