Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

December 7, 1947

It’s not a Pearl Harbor 3v3nt, but on this date My favorite athlete, Johnny Bench, was born. I only saw the last few years of his career, but he’s still my favorite ever. The attached video shows my favorite in-person sports moment ever, his home run on Johnny Bench night in 1984. I was in the red seats and remember wanting to. Uh the home run ball from the gift shop, as if it would be for sale, LOL. . I still want to tear up 2h3n I watch and remember this

Last edited by UKFlounder; 12-07-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Re: December 7, 1947

The pride of Binger, Oklahoma. My favorite, too. My 1st year of Little League was 1972, I was a catcher and also a Reds fan, so Johnny Bench was like a superhero to me.

I'm biased, but I think he's the GOAT at his position. He basically revolutionized it, going to a more athletic, one-hand style, and in his early days he could hit as well as he caught.

Maybe my favorite Bench moment (combined with 1 of my favorite Reds moments):

U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Unquestionably the greatest catcher ever. All you had to do was watch him.

I was lucky enough to get to see Game 3 of the '75 Series at Riverfront. Felt like I had been a big Reds fan since birth, even at that time, but the '75-'76 Reds were the greatest baseball teams to ever walk Planet Earth, so it was a magical time.

I never could pick a favorite Red, though, because there were SO many great players to be into.

I can still rattle off that lineup, top to bottom, at the drop of a hat. I seem to recall Cesar Geronimo, batting 8th, averaging exactly .300 in '75 (or '76 possibly).

But just watching Bench on D was a thing of beauty. You couldn't steal on him unless Morgan or Concepcion made a misstep... but those two were incredible at their positions too. Concepcion belongs in the Hall, but I digress.

I bet I saw Bench jack somewhere in the range of 5-7 homers over all the live games I attended in my youth. I was lucky with him, but then there was Perez, who was insanely clutch, so maybe I am throwing some of his onto Bench in my fading memory.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    Unquestionably the greatest catcher ever. All you had to do was watch him.

I was lucky enough to get to see Game 3 of the '75 Series at Riverfront. Felt like I had been a big Reds fan since birth, even at that time, but the '75-'76 Reds were the greatest baseball teams to ever walk Planet Earth, so it was a magical time.

I never could pick a favorite Red, though, because there were SO many great players to be into.

I can still rattle off that lineup, top to bottom, at the drop of a hat. I seem to recall Cesar Geronimo, batting 8th, averaging exactly .300 in '75 (or '76 possibly).

But just watching Bench on D was a thing of beauty. You couldn't steal on him unless Morgan or Concepcion made a misstep... but those two were incredible at their positions too. Concepcion belongs in the Hall, but I digress.

I bet I saw Bench jack somewhere in the range of 5-7 homers over all the live games I attended in my youth. I was lucky with him, but then there was Perez, who was insanely clutch, so maybe I am throwing some of his onto Bench in my fading memory.
    '76 opening day lineup:

NamePos.
    1. Pete Rose3B
    2. Ken GriffeyRF
    3. Joe Morgan2B
    4. Johnny BenchC
    5. Tony Perez1B
    6. George FosterLF
    7. Dave ConcepcionSS
    8. Cesar GeronimoCF
    9. Gary NolanP

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/h...ay_lineups.jsp

I sure miss the days when the Reds contended for the division title nearly every season.

Rupp's Runt

That's certainly a group of all stars, no doubt.

December 7, 1947

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    '76 opening day lineup:

NamePos.
    1. Pete Rose3B
    2. Ken GriffeyRF
    3. Joe Morgan2B
    4. Johnny BenchC
    5. Tony Perez1B
    6. George FosterLF
    7. Dave ConcepcionSS
    8. Cesar GeronimoCF
    9. Gary NolanP

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/h...ay_lineups.jsp

I sure miss the days when the Reds contended for the division title nearly every season.
    Remember those days well. Great lineup. And this is from a St. Louis fan.