Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Tough schedule for Kentucky football in 2018

I have no stats to support this opinion, but my gut feeling is when a program moves forward its almost never by baby steps. Usually they'll pass a threshold at some point where they either get over the hump, plateau, or regress, and it happens before a coach is 5 years in.
    Don't panic

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I have no stats to support this opinion, but my gut feeling is when a program moves forward its almost never by baby steps. Usually they'll pass a threshold at some point where they either get over the hump, plateau, or regress, and it happens before a coach is 5 years in.
    I fear you are right. I'm very on the fence with Stoops. I recognize the progress but recognize it has been slow...By year 4 or 5 it should happen IMO. That is why I fear Stoops has reached his ceiling in the SEC. His recruiting and coaching ability is a 9/10 win team in many conferences IMO but in the SEC he is a 7-8 win guy max. I would love to be wrong.

There were several statements made in this thread, some attributed to me that are not correct. I never mentioned Drew Barker but was referring to the qb position and the passing game in general. Some of our passing game deficiency is lack of performance of our receivers and Johnson being beat up down the stretch. Someone mentioned the qb being cannon fodder next year. I expect us to have improved line play as our inside three will be returning. Jackson, Steinberg, and Stallings. Put in Young, Wolfe, Fortner, others we should have strong group. I said we should win 7 MINIMUM, no mention I wold be satisfied with that but the previous posters on the thread overall seemed to think we,D win less. If you haven,t already you should read Jon Hale,s article in today,s CJ on qbs. Couple of quotes about Walker Wood, Hinshaw said he has near perfect motion. Stephen Johnson said he,s a stud. www.courier-journal.com

Tough schedule for Kentucky football in 2018

All the no Lamar at UL talk and maybe we can get a win. UL is going to be pretty good next year with a bevy of red shirts and returning players. Not a gimme....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fiddlin' Five

Good article, thanks for sharing it with us, TB.
    This article really doesn't tell us anything aside from what we already know, that being the only experienced QB we have coming back will be a senior with 5 games total experience. That is not a good prospect for Kentucky going into next season's football wars.
    I still don't feel very confident about our team for next season. However, that's why we play the games.

That's exactly right.

"I wish I would have a real tragic love affair and get so bummed out that I'd just quit my job and become a bum for a few years, because I was thinking about doing that anyway." ó Jack Handey ,

This year was our shot to actually compete for the East. We blew that and I do not see any chance we are ever going to get over the hump toward being one of the top east teams. Iíve all but given up on ever competing for a SEC championship. If we win 4 games Iíll be very surprised.

"Alert, Alive; Do or Die; Take Care! Sgt. Jones (my father's last words February 7, 2017).

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Unless things with the Head coach change drastically UK will be searching for a coach in 2 seasons due to the missed opportunities this year.
    As they should be. Giving any coach a freaking bonus for a 7 win season against this years schedule means we should also be looking for a new AD.

"Alert, Alive; Do or Die; Take Care! Sgt. Jones (my father's last words February 7, 2017).

Rupp's Runt

If we can win 3 SEC games at home we can go to another bowl.. Yay.

Right now everyone but our head coach knows we're heading for a 4 or 5 win season and maybe him too. I really hate to lose Gran and Hinshaw but make no mistake, someone will take the fall and it won't be the guy making $4 million a year.
    If we donít win 7 games next year, do we take a year off of Stoopsí contract? Seems fair.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Computer rankings had the team roughly 75th to 90th in the nation. It's not hard at all to look at that objectively--not negatively, but objectively--and realize that was a step backwards. It was. Pollyannish views won't change it. There were no steps forward this year.
    I didn't say there were steps forward this year, as a whole. There were several positives that can carry into next season, though.

I'm commenting on the 7 win people. There are so many people that say 7 wins doesn't mean anything that you have to take a deeper look at the schedule, and that's something that I agree with. However, out of the other side of their mouth, some are saying that 7 wins next season doesn't mean anything.

My point is if 7 wins this season was a step backwards, then 7 wins next season MUST be a step forward, considering the strength of schedule. So far, though, I've seen more people poo-pooing 7 wins next season as nothing special.

If we win 7 next season, I'm thrilled, and if that were to happen the progress can't be denied. That would be 5 of 6 seasons of progress under Stoops.

I think you’re onto something Mick.
    Don't panic

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    I didn't say there were steps forward this year, as a whole. There were several positives that can carry into next season, though.

I'm commenting on the 7 win people. There are so many people that say 7 wins doesn't mean anything that you have to take a deeper look at the schedule, and that's something that I agree with. However, out of the other side of their mouth, some are saying that 7 wins next season doesn't mean anything.

My point is if 7 wins this season was a step backwards, then 7 wins next season MUST be a step forward, considering the strength of schedule. So far, though, I've seen more people poo-pooing 7 wins next season as nothing special.

If we win 7 next season, I'm thrilled, and if that were to happen the progress can't be denied. That would be 5 of 6 seasons of progress under Stoops.
    Sitting here today, I can't imagine poo-pooing 7 wins next year. Looking at the schedule, objectively, that has to be progress. Just has to be.

Sitting here today, I can't imagine poo-pooing 7 wins next year. Looking at the schedule, objectively, that has to be progress. Just has to be.
    I totally agree and when we win 7 games next season, it's going to be another round of negativity around what didn't go right, how Stoops got in the way of winning 8 or 9 and Stoops got an extension.

I think he should give money back.
    Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    If we don’t win 7 games next year, do we take a year off of Stoops’ contract? Seems fair.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

I totally agree and when we win 7 games next season, it's going to be another round of negativity around what didn't go right, how Stoops got in the way of winning 8 or 9 and Stoops got an extension.
    It’s hard to say right now whether 7 wins will equate to a good season next year or not. Looking at the schedule right now that might be a realistic goal, but it’s not the goal many of us had in mind for the 6th year of Mark Stoops’ tenure.

It’s like the family that treats the straight-C kid after he brings home a B. Where I’m from we expect A’s but some want to applaud Stoops for bringing home a B-. Should have been an A.
    Don't panic

Oh 7 wins is a good season, trust me. With a first year qb in the sec and stoops working that time of possession...it’s a damn good season w the tough year schedules.
    Go Cats!

I think after 3-4 years my Stoops expectations dropped a lot.
    As mentioned he has brought in the best talents since curci bought talent but has not proven to be an average game coach nor able to develop a defense as he should.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    No matter the qb we,ll have a better passing attach next year. We only had one passing td total the last 6 games of the srason. The year before we only passed for 20 pc in the redzone. I applaud Johnson for his contributions but Gran needs someone who can add to the running and Wildcat attack.
    So when we lose the guy who BEAT OUT the remaining QB's on the roster, we'll be BETTER off b/c those guys will help the team more than the guy who got the nod over them. Terry, whatever happened to your mantra about the coaches knowing what they are doing with who to play? Oh yeah, your guy got benched.

So basically to accept your premise we have to believe that we would have been better off this year with a different QB, which means the coaches are just wrong and held us back.

If only they had been smart enough to play Barker we might have gotten to your 8 game win prediction.

Oh, and the reason for fewer passing TDs is we had the first team SEC running back and the year before had the first 2 RBs to both break 1,000 yards at UK since the invention of fire.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

I hope Drew Barker passes for 300 yards a game, 4 touchdowns and no interceptions. I'm not optimistic, but that would give us a great chance to succeed. I'm just not foolish enough to assume it's going to occur. I think it is unlikely.
    If it does I can't wait to hear Terry's explanation for why he didn't play this year. Ought to be fascinating.

But the only reason Gran chose to run the ball was because the useless QB he chose to start could not pass the ball.

I doubt it, unless the other SEC teams continue to stink up the place. If UF and UT continue to struggle then the schedule is weaker and we should do better, but if they get their ships righted then yes 7 wins is an accomplishment and I think most will feel that way.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    I thought the players did take a step forward on the field this year, coaches took a side step or a step back when I really expected them to get in a groove and get it going. It was there for the taking. Iíll take a 7 win season next year if it means weíre building to the future for an 8 win season the next year. Itís just a shame we didnít make a big jump this year and lies squarely on the coaches if you ask me.
    Snowflake! Kentucky is better than this.
    Real Fan since 1958

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    So when we lose the guy who BEAT OUT the remaining QB's on the roster, we'll be BETTER off b/c those guys will help the team more than the guy who got the nod over them. Terry, whatever happened to your mantra about the coaches knowing what they are doing with who to play? Oh yeah, your guy got benched.

So basically to accept your premise we have to believe that we would have been better off this year with a different QB, which means the coaches are just wrong and held us back.

If only they had been smart enough to play Barker we might have gotten to your 8 game win prediction.

Oh, and the reason for fewer passing TDs is we had the first team SEC running back and the year before had the first 2 RBs to both break 1,000 yards at UK since the invention of fire.
    You are totally forgetting how analytical Terry is, he has told us numerous times since the UL game that he is analytical in his thinking and the rest here are not

So that is why you and many of the rest if us don't understand how great Stoops is, Barker will be, and Terry is on top of our team and staff along with our award winning AD

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Snowflake! Kentucky is better than this.
    Actually, if you look at past history....we are not....