Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tough schedule for Kentucky football in 2018

SEC schedule will be more difficult.

Home games
    Mississippi State
    South Carolina
    Vanderbilt
    Georgia

Away Games
    Florida
    Texas A&M
    Missouri
    Tennessee

With coaching changes, I think the horizon is changing. I don't think Kentucky will win a single SEC road contest.

At home? Will South Carolina break their slide? Will Mississippi State still be dominant? I'm sure Georgia will be. We can hopefully look forward to beating Vandy.

Are we looking at 1-7 in the league?

Will we beat a Lamar Jackson-less Louisville team?

Hopefully the outlook is much brighter than the bleak scenery I see. I sure hope so.

Re: Tough schedule for Kentucky football in 2018

Very little joy in Mudville to be found next season
    seeya
    dan

I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky. Hunter S Thompson

I said a max of 4 wins, Johnson will be very hard to replace.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

So if win total drops does Stoops give back money?

I see 3 home wins there...Georgia is my question mark. Steal one on the road like we did USC and we are at 4.

Fiddlin' Five

4-8 or 5-7 is about the best Kentucky will do next season.

Almost everybody else in the SEC will be improving. Except for us.

At best we beat VAndy and Miss St at home, then I don't see a road win. Louisville is at their place and after a rough year we probably drop that one. Honestly Vandy at home is likely our only home win, plus the cupcakes. I honestly expect a 3-4 win season next year and the wheels to just completely fall off, but i'm hoping for a 5 win season to bridge the QB loss. Snell is still here and we return a lot of starters, but boy that QB position is tough to replace and its a tough schedule.
    Go Cats!

Unless things with the Head coach change drastically UK will be searching for a coach in 2 seasons due to the missed opportunities this year.

If we can win 3 SEC games at home we can go to another bowl.. Yay.

Right now everyone but our head coach knows we're heading for a 4 or 5 win season and maybe him too. I really hate to lose Gran and Hinshaw but make no mistake, someone will take the fall and it won't be the guy making $4 million a year.
    Don't panic

Blog Entries

This year: "Well, we lost a lot from the year before and had injuries, so 7 wins is actually good."

Next year: "Well, we lost a lot from the year before and had injuries and also had a tough schedule, so 4 wins is actually good."
    All I did was stand up to a long laundry list of people who passed away today who couldn't stand up because what was done was wrong.--RP, 8/26/09

Wow...that is tough. Hard to see a Bowl in that mix. Yikes!

Peace

Richard (CW)

Well, I see things much differently. Every year the schedule is tough.Of the 8 SEC teams there are 4 new coaches. There is often a transition year or 2 when those teams don,t perform well. I don,t know how many players those teams return but I know we return 17 of 22 starters and I believe have at least 12 rs freshmen to add to that. No matter the qb we,ll have a better passing attach next year. We only had one passing td total the last 6 games of the srason. The year before we only passed for 20 pc in the redzone. I applaud Johnson for his contributions but Gran needs someone who can add to the running and Wildcat attack. I never give a prediction before week of first game but we should win 7 again minimum

Let me translate all this; "Barker will lead us to the best record since nineteeeeen hundred and fitty4"

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    Well, I see things much differently. Every year the schedule is tough.Of the 8 SEC teams there are 4 new coaches. There is often a transition year or 2 when those teams don,t perform well. I don,t know how many players those teams return but I know we return 17 of 22 starters and I believe have at least 12 rs freshmen to add to that. No matter the qb we,ll have a better passing attach next year. We only had one passing td total the last 6 games of the srason. The year before we only passed for 20 pc in the redzone. I applaud Johnson for his contributions but Gran needs someone who can add to the running and Wildcat attack. I never give a prediction before week of first game but we should win 7 again minimum
    My Photography Page; http://rogerelliottphotography.com/

Fiddlin' Five

7 wins again? That's maintaining, not moving forward. And it certainly isn't progress, because all we get with 7 wins is another invite to the Music City Bowl. Or the Liberty Bowl. Or the Birmingham Bowl.
    I want to go the the Sugar Bowl. Or the Peach Bowl, or the Cotton Bowl........some bowl that pays out more and gives us better exposure to recruits.
    Oh, wait, I'm sorry, I forgot. We're supposed to be happy with 7 wins and one of these minor bowls. How inconsiderate of me to expect more! 😠

Tough schedule for Kentucky football in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    We may or may not have a better passing quarterback next year. The one we had this year was in the top half of the SEC, something you continue to ignore.

I secretly hope we go to a Paul Johnson/Scott Frost style option attack just to drive Terry insane.
    Don't panic

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    We may or may not have a better passing quarterback next year. The one we had this year was in the top half of the SEC, something you continue to ignore.
    The thing about this is that none of the QB's we'll put on the field next season have much, if any, actual game experience at all. Barker has about 2 1/2 or so games, from last year, and some spot duty this year. That's pretty much about the sum total of it. Hoak and whoever is behind him have zero college game experience to draw from.
    So no matter who the Kentucky QB is next season, they are pretty much going to be cannon fodder. Add in that the only other positions that added much of anything to our offense was the TE'S and Snell, who had to work with a terrible O-line, and WR's

Fiddlin' Five

that did not catch many meaningful passes this past season, so this is not a recipe for future success.

I hope Drew Barker passes for 300 yards a game, 4 touchdowns and no interceptions. I'm not optimistic, but that would give us a great chance to succeed. I'm just not foolish enough to assume it's going to occur. I think it is unlikely.

Blind deception is what it is.

Fiddlin' Five

I hope Drew Barker passes for 300 yards a game, 4 touchdowns and no interceptions. I'm not optimistic, but that would give us a great chance to succeed. I'm just not foolish enough to assume it's going to occur. I think it is unlikely.
    I hope he does too! I really do. But, just like you, I'm not sure it's likely.

Think about this your best player rushes for 200+ yards and you lose 41-17.
    Looks like to me the problem is the defense.

Best player is back, hope he runs for 2000+, if he does UK might get 6 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    7 wins again? That's maintaining, not moving forward. And it certainly isn't progress, because all we get with 7 wins is another invite to the Music City Bowl. Or the Liberty Bowl. Or the Birmingham Bowl.
    I want to go the the Sugar Bowl. Or the Peach Bowl, or the Cotton Bowl........some bowl that pays out more and gives us better exposure to recruits.
    Oh, wait, I'm sorry, I forgot. We're supposed to be happy with 7 wins and one of these minor bowls. How inconsiderate of me to expect more! ��
    Seriously. This board particularly needs some perspective because it appears it has lost it.

The University of Kentucky first played 10 games in a season in 1933. Since that time they have won 7 or more games 15 times...out of 84 years. So only 18% of the time. Of those 15 years, Bear Bryant owns 5 of them. Only two other coaches have done it twice.... Curci and Brooks... UNTIL Stoops. Only 7 times in that time span have we won more than 7 games so should we win the bowl game against Northwestern it again will be an historical accomplishment.

If Stoops gets to 7 wins next year it will be a historical accomplishment for our program given that record.

Seriously, we UK football fans need to check our entitlement at the door because in football we do not have the record to deserve it.

If you bitch about 7 wins at UK, you better damn well expect to regress with your "next greatest hire".

SEC schedule will be more difficult.

Home games
    Mississippi State
    South Carolina
    Vanderbilt
    Georgia

Away Games
    Florida
    Texas A&M
    Missouri
    Tennessee

With coaching changes, I think the horizon is changing. I don't think Kentucky will win a single SEC road contest.

At home? Will South Carolina break their slide? Will Mississippi State still be dominant? I'm sure Georgia will be. We can hopefully look forward to beating Vandy.

Are we looking at 1-7 in the league?

Will we beat a Lamar Jackson-less Louisville team?

Hopefully the outlook is much brighter than the bleak scenery I see. I sure hope so.
    There are no non-winnable games on that conference schedule. IMO, I think the odds of going 1-7 are only a slight bit better than going 7-1. Neither is going to happen, though.

I see 4-4, at worst 3-5.

If all negative folks want to talk about how going 7-5 this year was SUCH a step backwards, given this schedule, they HAVE to admit that going 7-5 with that schedule is a major step forward. You can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    There are no non-winnable games on that conference schedule. IMO, I think the odds of going 1-7 are only a slight bit better than going 7-1. Neither is going to happen, though.

I see 4-4, at worst 3-5.

If all negative folks want to talk about how going 7-5 this year was SUCH a step backwards, given this schedule, they HAVE to admit that going 7-5 with that schedule is a major step forward. You can't have it both ways.
    Computer rankings had the team roughly 75th to 90th in the nation. It's not hard at all to look at that objectively--not negatively, but objectively--and realize that was a step backwards. It was. Pollyannish views won't change it. There were no steps forward this year.

I would argue this year is not over....A strong bowl performance would be a step forward. Small step, but still a step. A weak performance would be a step back.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I would argue this year is not over....A strong bowl performance would be a step forward. Small step, but still a step. A weak performance would be a step back.
    That's fair, at least to the extent that we haven't completed the season yet. Certainly, my position is that this year has been a step back through 12 games. Beat a good Northwestern team in the Music City Bowl, and that would be a season-strengthening achievement, no doubt. Have to look at everything, and all 13 games to make the best assessment.

I thought the players did take a step forward on the field this year, coaches took a side step or a step back when I really expected them to get in a groove and get it going. It was there for the taking. I’ll take a 7 win season next year if it means we’re building to the future for an 8 win season the next year. It’s just a shame we didn’t make a big jump this year and lies squarely on the coaches if you ask me.
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    I thought the players did take a step forward on the field this year, coaches took a side step or a step back when I really expected them to get in a groove and get it going. It was there for the taking. I’ll take a 7 win season next year if it means we’re building to the future for an 8 win season the next year. It’s just a shame we didn’t make a big jump this year and lies squarely on the coaches if you ask me.
    Very much agree with this perspective.