Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jeremy Pruitt will be a good hire at Tennessee

Unfortunately.

Re: Jeremy Pruitt will be a good hire at Tennessee

And it is a done deal. They made a good hire.
    seeya
    dan

“I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.” Hunter S Thompson

Why? Why is he a good hire. You saw the article the other day on Saban assistant hires and their success. Why is Pruitt any different...especially in the SEC. Why do you think an Assistant of a major program (in the SEC) will be successful at another SEC school with proven head coaches from outside the conference (Beliema and Jones) failed?

I do not get this line of thinking. Please understand, I do not mean this post to be critical, but I really need to understand why Pruitt will be different than Stoops?

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Why? Why is he a good hire. You saw the article the other day on Saban assistant hires and their success. Why is Pruitt any different...especially in the SEC. Why do you think an Assistant of a major program (in the SEC) will be successful at another SEC school with proven head coaches from outside the conference (Beliema and Jones) failed?

I do not get this line of thinking. Please understand, I do not mean this post to be critical, but I really need to understand why Pruitt will be different than Stoops?
    Probably because he might be smarter than Stoops? I'm just sayin'......... 😢

Blog Entries

Well, he's not Tee Martin, whom I was personally rooting for them to hire.
    All I did was stand up to a long laundry list of people who passed away today who couldn't stand up because what was done was wrong.--RP, 8/26/09

Pretty underwhelming hire. He could be Kirby Smart, but he could just as easily be Will Muschamp. I expected them to do better and am pleased this was the best they could do.

I agree that this is not a sure fire homerun hire. I think it’s a long term hope. Anyone that goes from Coord to head coach is only good for a 6-7 win season in the sec if you ask me. It’s prob the best hire they could make and an upgrade over the last guy but I’d say they are set for 7 win hell which is what they didn’t want.
    Go Cats!

I think it's a good hire, all things considered. He'll probably never beat Saban though but he'll get some leeway in that regard for a few years.
    Don't panic

Has he had prior head coaching experience
    If not, it,s always a question mark till they run their own program

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Probably because he might be smarter than Stoops? I'm just sayin'......... ��
    How do you know? Stoops was top D-Cord at FSU at the time. Consistently putting D Talent in the NFL...

Fiddlin' Five

How do you know? Stoops was top D-Cord at FSU at the time. Consistently putting D Talent in the NFL...
    Just sit back and watch. We're about to start a new losing streak to Tennessee, and the losing streak to Florida will continue to grow too.
    He can recruit, but so far I am not overly impressed with how those recruits are developed, and I am definitely not impressed with his in-game coaching decisions.

If you had told Tenn fans right after Butch was fired this is who they would end up with they would have been very disappointed. Not getting a successful head coach means they,re not a premier cprogram any more. Butch Jones was a better hire on paper

You have to be kidding.
    Don't panic

Unforgettable

It's a good question and really points out how much of a crapshoot hiring a coach can be. When Stoops was hired I believe a lot of people thought it was a good hire. When BCG was hired, the vast majority of people were happy. When Muschamp was hired at FL many so that as a "can't miss" hire.

What I will say is that Pruitt seems to be *very* respected here and I've hear his name in the "when (if*) Saban leaves" discussion. But as you suggest, who knows?

*Some Bama fans believe Saban will live, and coach here, forever.
    "Calipari’s Young Blue Machine marches on, slashing and burning and winning."
    - Bill Simmons.

Rupp's Runt

Jerry Pruitt has been a winner at every level so far. He combines being an outstanding recruiter with being an outstanding defensive coach. But his biggest strength is player development. The guy is a leader and can coach players. He may be one of the 3 best hires so far this offseason. I remember him at Hoover HS.Kids want to play hard for him. As a recruiter, defensive coach, and leader he is every bit the same or better than Kirby Smart. Some of you may remember him from the MTV series Two-a-Days We likely have beaten Tennessee for the last time in a while. Fulmer has pulled the fat out of the fire.
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Probably because he might be smarter than Stoops? I'm just sayin'......... ��

Your smiley face above may be smarter as well.
    Real Fan since 1958

Per Twitter (John Brice of Gridiron Now)

Been in the classroom but got a message; am told @Vol_Football is giving Jeremy Pruitt a 6-year deal worth nearly $4 million on avg; a school-record &; among nation’s-best roughly $5 million salary pool for assistants.
    Last edited by Critter; 12-07-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter @krcrider

Tennessee making unprecedented financial commitment to Jeremy Pruitt and staff

Some Highlights:

...The University of Tennessee is giving Pruitt, soon to be formally introduced by athletics director Phillip Fulmer as the Volunteers next head coach, a six-year deal worth not quite $4 million on average – or nearly a million more annually than the six-year pact Butch Jones was awarded when he was hired in December 2012.

...Pruitt is taking less personal money to blow-out his assistants’ earning potential. The Vols will allocate a whopping sum of approximately $5 million for Pruitt’s staff.

....lists several possible assistant hires
    Follow me on Twitter @krcrider

Here are some de-identified comments on a recent Coaching hire.... Who is it?

"We wanted a candidate who was high energy and had been on the big stage," XXX said in a statement. "We wanted a candidate who was respected by his players and his peers, and we wanted someone who had a passion for the University of XXX. Coach YYYYYYYYYY is all of those things and more."
    "Coach YYYYYYYYYY is a great hire for the University of XXX," XXX said in a statement. "He is a relentless recruiter and brings a tremendous amount of energy and passion to the game. I would run into him on the road often on the recruiting trail and have always been impressed with him as a coach and a person."

...Pruitt is taking less personal money to blow-out his assistants’ earning potential. The Vols will allocate a whopping sum of approximately $5 million for Pruitt’s staff.
    Proof he does know what it takes to succeed as a HC in the SEC
    seeya
    dan

“I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.” Hunter S Thompson

I like Pruitt, but obviously, you don't know until you know.

FWIW, I liked the Stoops hire, too. I'm not convinced that was a bad hire, either. I am disappointed with some areas, but there has been a lot of improvement in the program since he arrived.

Darrell, it,s hard to argue that Stoops hasn't been a good hire given he's gone from 2-10 and mid OVC talent to back to back 7-5 seasons in the space of 5 seasons. Did we leave a lot of corn on the Cobb this year, yes and I agree some of that you can point directly at Stoops. Pruitt may very well be a great head coach but he might not either. I,ve I think he has only been a coordinator for 2 years and I,ve seen many renowned assistants without head coaching experience fizzle when they become the head man. Gerry Foust was a legendary high school coach who couldn't cut it at Note Dame.

The problem that Pruitt is going to face is the unrealistic expectations. We have no idea how the pressure will be handled. It makes the great merely average or takes them down entirely.

I don't know how anyone can say this is a good hire. It's just a hire. Judgment will take a few years.

Listened to his press
    Conference. I’m sure they will love him down here, but yuk. Too corny.

By the way, the quotes above were about Muschamp when he was hired at UF

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

This guy was coaching at Hoover when my kids went to school there. I read a post earlier that said LSU's Orgeron should be ecstatic; he no longer will be the dumbest coach in the room at SEC Media days.

Oh well, at $4,000,000+ a year I guess he is smart enough....

Darryl

Jeremy Pruitt will be a good hire at Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    This guy was coaching at Hoover when my kids went to school there. I read a post earlier that said LSU's Orgeron should be ecstatic; he no longer will be the dumbest coach in the room at SEC Media days.

Oh well, at $4,000,000+ a year I guess he is smart enough....

Darryl
    Looks can be deceiving. This guy is dumb enough to have been an integral part of two coaching staffs that won 3 national championships at two different schools prior to accepting the job at Tennessee. He may win a fourth national championship before he begins coaching at Tennessee.

I’d say he’s prob not dumber than me if he’s making four mil a year w a few rings, and I kinda thought I had sense.
    Go Cats!

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    The problem that Pruitt is going to face is the unrealistic expectations. We have no idea how the pressure will be handled. It makes the great merely average or takes them down entirely.

I don't know how anyone can say this is a good hire. It's just a hire. Judgment will take a few years.
    You have no clue!
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    Listened to his press
    Conference. I’m sure they will love him down here, but yuk. Too corny.
    Corny is a qualification for being a head coach? You’re kidding!
    Real Fan since 1958