Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

16 NCAA Champs In Pomeroy Era; Worst Defensive Ranking Was #18. 2018 Duke Is...#51

Defenses can improve, especially among young teams but Duke cannot guard ANYONE man to man. We'll see how this works out but from 2002 to 2017 here are the final rankings defensively for the NCAA champs:

2002 Maryland #7

2003 Syracuse #14

2004 UConn #6

2005 UNC #5

2006 Florida #7

2007 Florida #13

2008 Kansas #1

2009 UNC #18

2010 Duke #5

2011 UConn #15

2012 Kentucky #7

2013 Louisville #1

2014 UConn #10

2015 Duke #11

2016 Villanova #5

2017 UNC #11

Darryl

Rupp's Runt

Re: 16 NCAA Champs In Pomeroy Era; Worst Defensive Ranking Was #18. 2018 Duke Is...#5

It’s early
    Real Fan since 1958

Re: 16 NCAA Champs In Pomeroy Era; Worst Defensive Ranking Was #18. 2018 Duke Is...#5

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    It’s early
    Yep, don’t worry, the Dukies and Heels will make enough improvement where the Zebras can ”help” them along just when they need it.

It's something work keeping an eye on.

I haven't looked at the data, but I'm fairly confident the Duke teams with very favorable and high seeds that suffered those embarassing losses had similar such defensive rankings. There's will improve, but I'm not sure how much. It's going to be interesting to watch them in conference.

Any team can play great defense for a game, but it's hard to do it 4-5 games in a row when you've been an average team defensivly all season. No better proof than Wisconsin in 2015. Of course playing great defense is much easier when you have a team that's willing to sacrifice and play your game. I'm glad that Cal has an analytics guy sitting on the bench now, but of course, I digress.
    Last edited by StuBleedsBlue2; 12-06-2017 at 11:29 PM.

I know this isnít saying much. But if itís Duke or the field I would bet a load of money on the field.
    I just donít trust this Duke team.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    I know this isnít saying much. But if itís Duke or the field I would bet a load of money on the field.
    I just donít trust this Duke team.
    Iím with you. Bagley and their PG, however, give them a much higher ceiling than most - they are elite. I feel pretty sure Izzoís bunch would relish another shot at them in March.

Let duke sit up there at numero uno all year and dream of 40-0, I like that idea
    Go Cats!

Blog Entries

Duke doesn't advance very far when their D isn't good. They tightened it up in the 2015 post-season (Darryl attributes it to going zone, which is plausible but I also think debatable), so it is possible for teams to "come to Jesus" defensively but that's more the rule than the exception.

So far they (or their referee co-conspirators) are doing a good job of keeping opponents off the FT line (19th nationally in Defensive FT Rate), but they are underwhelming in other important areas.

73rd in 2pt FG%D;
    114th in 3pt FG% D;
    136th in Defensive Reb%;
    334th(!) in Defensive Turnover%.

But as others have pointed out, it is early and it'll be something worth keeping an eye on as the season progresses.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 12-07-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    All I did was stand up to a long laundry list of people who passed away today who couldn't stand up because what was done was wrong.--RP, 8/26/09

DEFENSE FIRST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Duke doesn't advance very far when their D isn't good. They tightened it up in the 2015 post-season (Darryl attributes it to going zone, which is plausible but I also think debatable), so it is possible for teams to "come to Jesus" defensively but that's more the rule than the exception.

So far they (or their referee co-conspirators) are doing a good job of keeping opponents off the FT line (19th nationally in Defensive FT Rate), but they are underwhelming in other important areas.

73rd in 2pt FG%D;
    114th in 3pt FG% D;
    136th in Defensive Reb%;
    334th(!) in Defensive Turnover%.

But as others have pointed out, it is early and it'll be something worth keeping an eye on as the season progresses.
    Those stats point to issues on several defensive fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
    DEFENSE FIRST!!!
    That is what I have been telling you guys for years.

Darryl

But I thought the montra is great offense beats great defense.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    But I thought the montra is great offense beats great defense.
    It actually does; nearly all the champs had great offenses. You just can't have an awful defense

Darryl

The best teams, as Darryl has pointed out, usually have both great offenses and defenses. Both are usually highly ranked.