Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: What did you call your grandparents?

What did you call your grandparents?

I was reading this Appalachian Magazine article about the origins of the words "Mamaw" and "Papaw" (which apparently are nearly exclusively Appalachian terms) and thought I'd throw the question open to the group.

My father's parents we called "Nanny" and "Poppy." My maternal grandmother we called "Mamaw"--my maternal grandfather died when my mother was only 7, so we didn't know him but generally called him "Grandpa O'Brien" when we referred to him.

Even though my parents were from Appalachia (Mingo County, WV), they chose "Grandma" and Grandpa," I think to keep "Mamaw" for my mother's mother. My in-laws, who were from western Kentucky and Louisiana, chose "Granny" and "Buddy" (which was my father-in-law's nickname everybody called him, anyway).
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: What did you call your grandparents?

I didn't know my paternal grandfather and my Mom's dad passed away when I was 2 or 3. They called him Popeye but that was what everyone called him. We called both our grandmothers "Mama", Mama Katherine and Mama Barber (her last name). I guess she demanded more decorum or something lol. I think the mama stemmed from the fact my dad and his siblings all calling their parents Mama and Papa. This was in Morgan County in east-central KY.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

I am Pappy and Peg is Grammy to our grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
    My Maternal grandparents were Grandaddy and Grandmother, my paternal grandparents were Mamaw and Papaw.

As a neat little aside, when my siblings had grandchildren (I was the baby of the family by some 29 years) it was explained that my father and mother were their grandparents too so they were Mamaw2 and Papaw2.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Grandpa and Grandma on both sides of the family. My mom was a yankee
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Mamaw and Papaw both sides. I am PawPaw and Donna is Nana.
    My Great Grandmother on my Moms side was “Mom” to all of us and Great Grandfather was Pap
    Last edited by kingcat; 12-06-2017 at 01:02 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Pa & Granny Rose and Mammy on my mom's side.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Grandmom and Jack. My grandfathers both passed before I could remember, even though one died during my lifetime. Jack was my step-grandfather. Really good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I didn't know my paternal grandfather and my Mom's dad passed away when I was 2 or 3. They called him Popeye but that was what everyone called him. We called both our grandmothers "Mama", Mama Katherine and Mama Barber (her last name). I guess she demanded more decorum or something lol. I think the mama stemmed from the fact my dad and his siblings all calling their parents Mama and Papa. This was in Morgan County in east-central KY.
    Mrs. BEvans, who grew up in western Kentucky, called her maternal grandmother "Mama Bea," and her paternal grandmother "Mama Nette."
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

Muhleberg County here and said Mamaw and Papaw.

My little girl says Nana and Paw. The in-laws are Ma and Anddad (no gr yet and may not at this point)

I'm a Papaw.

We called my mothers parents Mamaw and Pampoo.

My Dads parents were Grandma and Grandpa.

My daughter and my sisters kids call my parents Nanny and Paw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 12-06-2017 at 07:05 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Mrs. BEvans, who grew up in western Kentucky, called her maternal grandmother "Mama Bea," and her paternal grandmother "Mama Nette."
    interesting.

I guess I grew up in the middle of the state b/c my maternal grandmother was Mamaw, and my paternal grandmother's name was "Eva C" and I called her Mama C. That grandfather was "Daddy Frank". Didn't know my maternal grandfather, though mom says I'm a great deal like him.

So that's one eastern, one western one?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Grandma and grandpa mostly. We would add a last name to differentiate them.

When I was very little I said “tata” I guess in place of papa. My maternal grandmother is named Geneva, but people call her Nevie. Apparently when I was young I could not pronounce that, so I called her Nene. Now, my nieces and nephew (her great-grandkids)call her Nene. They call my mom (their grandma) Grammy and my dad Pop, which is what I still call him

My great-grandparents were Pa Rob and Ma Ruthie, which I think everyone, children and grandchildren, called them. I think even some family called them that as he was a country preacher and they had a big family, as patriarch and matriarch, starting in the hills of Breathitt County. I wish I had known them more as they were apparently exceptional people.
    Last edited by UKFlounder; 12-07-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Dead
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Dead
    I should not have laughed.

But did.

Forgive me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Dead
    Dauumnn. Tough room.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Grandma and Grandpa on both sides of the family, though both of my grandfathers passed away when I was very young.

My parents are Mamaw and Papaw as were my grandparents, Nanny and Papaw on my wife's side. I'm Paps and my wife is Grammi.