Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Unemployment Report

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueBrock View Post
    Well if you're going to yell at me for being condescending, I would suppose you'd yell at others for being just as condescending. But their condescension falls in line with your own, so you don't notice it.

It's difficult to scam the UI system. You're required to report an X amount of job applications every week. If you have to go on extended benefits, that number doubles and the reporting frequency increases. Most people on UI benefits don't WANT to be on UI. That want to do the work they've prepared themselves to do through education, training, and experience and fulfill as much of their earning potential as possible.
    My first two posts were not condescending, and since your condescending post was a quoted reply to mine, I'm taking it as directed toward me.

I'll be clear. I have no problem with people taking unemployment to get by if need be. I have no problem with other social nets when used as intended. Doing what one needs to do to improve your standing in life is fine. However the system is too often abused and those who abuse it go unpunished.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    My wife and I have always depended on dual income in order to make ends meet sufficient to the lifestyle we want in raising our two daughters. Historically, her income has been mostly commission based while I earned a good salary in retail/retail management except for a few good years as a personal trainer. As the economy got worse, her income dried up and my income was not quite enough to cover all the basics. The potential for hers if the opportunities were there were greater than my own so I left my job to do the marketing to support her efforts. That failed. Other opportunities in her field were few where we lived so she looked around instate and found her current job; salary-based with good bonuses based on the profits her employer made each quarter BUT WE HAD TO MOVE. In the meantime, while at her previous job, the owner let me go after checking on my unemployment benefits status. Turns out because I hadn't been with them long enough the basis for my WC pay was deferred to my former employer which ended up being about my take home pay while I worked there, about $500/week. I still looked for good jobs in the meantime but few retail jobs were available where we currently live. I've ended up doing what I did doing what I did after graduating high school, working in a grocery store part-time. I don't look at it as beneath me. I'm grateful they gave me a job and I return the favor by putting 100% effort into it and they in turn maximize my hours which is limited because of Obamacare and its cost to employers. I can't average more than 28 hours a week but sometimes I get close to 40 which really isn't that much more $$$ because of the higher rate of deductions. Still, I'm appreciated by those I work for and with, and unless something better becomes available I'll get my opportunity when new stores open or an opening becomes available in my current location.
    Just an FYI for those in this thread... I've known John for many years. His situation is as he presents and I truly feel for him. I don't have issues with folks like this drawing UE benefits. I do when there is no effort to find a job or better their situations.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I agree UI is the least problematic of all the systems, as I stated more than once. I disagree it's hard to scam though b/c I've known way too many people who do so. First they scam it by applying when they were terminated for cause. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Kentucky seems to have gotten tougher on those filing false claims, but years ago it was almost impossible for an employer to successfully appeal and win. Trust me we tried.

I've seen it scammed, and with little effort. You just have to be good at cheating. I won't share the details of how, but it's not hard.
    Exactly. UE isn't scammed for as much as welfare etc... but it is. Seldom do we fire a person where we don't get a claim for unemployment, and usually they get it. Steal from me and get caught, you get fired. Claim UE. I actually had one girl claim I "forced her to get an abortion" in an UE hearing. She claimed that when she got preg which I was unaware of and had NOTHING TO DO WITH, she feared she would lose her job in the kennel (yes, she picked up dog poop for a living and despite that I still talked to her and treated her like a person) so she got an abortion. She was later fired (months after this) for not showing up for work. This girl got UE. Our last office manager had a work phone (one I paid for) and we realized she was spending literally hours every day talking to her boyfriend in CA during working hours (based on the phone bill). She got UE. Had one girl who was stealing drugs from us and was fired. She too got UE.

So while UE is a great program when needed, its often abused.

Unforgettable

picking up garbage is beneath you, actually with your attitude, it is better than you. YOu claim to be intelligent and often act like you are some of kind of genius here when in fact you usually come out on the losing end of most arguements here with those that are way above your head but don't brag like you do and those also would pick up garbage if it meant being able to put food on the table for their families. Many of us here that have been successful have worked those 'shitty' jobs you look down on to pay for college, to pay bills, to take care of family or whtever needs to be taken care of.

doc, nor citizen, nor badrose normyself ever thought any of us were to good to get our hands dirty, to work long hours, to work with the 'less educated'. I play golf and hunt with men who could buy you ten times over but they are humble, have worked hard for what they have, never look down on anyone, have gotten their hands dirty working but never have I ever heard any of them say a job was beneath them because they were 'educated'.

you are nothing more than an arrogant smart a.. kid that thinks he knows everything but is continually put in your place by the likes of doc, citizen and badrose and others. You might want to keep your lilly white fingers off the keyboard before your brain engages and pay attention to what others know and try to tell you. You might actually get truly educated

As opposed to other people's obvious condescension towards a person that avails themselves of the system in place to help bridge the gap between qualified employment?

And I'm sorry if I seem 'condescending' toward fast food or garbage pickup jobs. But I'm educated, I'm trained, I'm intelligent, and I have positioned myself for a professional career path in IT. Yes, picking up garbage is beneath me. Would I do it if I had to? Yes. Would I take advantage of every possible avenue to keep from doing it? Yes. I'm not a blue collar worker, which is why I went to college.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I wanted to add:

Do you look down at all people or just the lowly unskilled laborer who would demean themselves by working in the food service industry? Me, I learned to respect those hard working people that take those shitty jobs, who work in filth, feel like an ass and smell like grease. I respect them a hell of a lot more that the lazy jagoff that sits on his butt for 38 weeks collecting unemployment and does nothing to find a job or make him/her more hirable. I respect them because they are willing to take that job rather then accept the handout that the government is so willing to take from me and give to them.
    I don't look down on people working those jobs, but I do look down on those jobs. I worked in food service for three years in college (cooking, working the register, washing the dishes, cleaning the kitchen front to back, sweeping and mopping the dining room, etc). It sucked. But I went to college so I wouldn't have to do that again ever. Am I too qualified, too educated, too experienced in my field to willingly work a job flipping burgers that pays minimum wage? Yes. Would I do that work if I had no other choice? Yes. Do I understand that others aren't in a position to be so choosy about their work? Yes.

As for your earlier post, my intent wasn't to present my "rough life," but to demonstrate that not everyone receiving UI for the full time was some lout, as one of your replies ITT had insinuated, and I quote,

If its taking that long for me to find a job, I'm not looking in the right places.... or maybe I'm not looking at all.
    You may not have intended to sound condescending, but you can (or should) be able to see how one would take that as you "looking down upon" someone that receives UI benefits instead of immediately taking a crappy job.

Btw, your hostility towards me in your initial reply wasn't necessary. But if I offended you, I apologize.
    Last edited by BigBlueBrock; 02-12-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    picking up garbage is beneath you, actually with your attitude, it is better than you. YOu claim to be intelligent and often act like you are some of kind of genius here when in fact you usually come out on the losing end of most arguements here with those that are way above your head but don't brag like you do and those also would pick up garbage if it meant being able to put food on the table for their families. Many of us here that have been successful have worked those 'shitty' jobs you look down on to pay for college, to pay bills, to take care of family or whtever needs to be taken care of.

doc, nor citizen, nor badrose normyself ever thought any of us were to good to get our hands dirty, to work long hours, to work with the 'less educated'. I play golf and hunt with men who could buy you ten times over but they are humble, have worked hard for what they have, never look down on anyone, have gotten their hands dirty working but never have I ever heard any of them say a job was beneath them because they were 'educated'.

you are nothing more than an arrogant smart a.. kid that thinks he knows everything but is continually put in your place by the likes of doc, citizen and badrose and others. You might want to keep your lilly white fingers off the keyboard before your brain engages and pay attention to what others know and try to tell you. You might actually get truly educated
    *yawn*

Fiddlin' Five

I wanted to add:

Do you look down at all people or just the lowly unskilled laborer who would demean themselves by working in the food service industry? Me, I learned to respect those hard working people that take those shitty jobs, who work in filth, feel like an ass and smell like grease. I respect them a hell of a lot more that the lazy jagoff that sits on his butt for 38 weeks collecting unemployment and does nothing to find a job or make him/her more hirable. I respect them because they are willing to take that job rather then accept the handout that the government is so willing to take from me and give to them.
    I'm more like Doc than some in here. I respect the guy that works on the back of a garbage truck because it's a job no one wants to do but this person does it because it is a living. One of the big problems with this country is "entitlement". I look at the 800 sq ft home I grew up in as a child and it was fine, I played outside, one bath room, I didn't think it was small. People today have to have much bigger, much better homes, cars and all the other nice things that go along with it. You earn those things; you are not entitled to them. I know so many people that live above their heads, takes both incomes to make their payments for homes and cars that they can't afford, one loses their job they lose everything. Like Doc I have been in business for close to 40 years and it was a very humble beginning. I am a painting contractor who painted anything starting out while going to school on the GI Bill. I kept painting, have done tons of commercial projects, walked out of projects with the sun coming up and going back to work on another project. Grew as a company not afraid to put in those 60 and 70 hour weeks, our employee staff grew, we started working other states, traveled to do Wal-Marts and Sam-Clubs, other out of state projects as well. Worked for BellSouth in Tenn for a year and a half to Alabama border, I was young enough to take crews out back then, not anymore, I work in the office and my son takes on these projects and travel. It was a hard road to get there, a lot of hard work. I truly love my employees, I treat them like family, I only keep the best and the ones that are loyal to the company. I started as nothing and built a company from the ground up with hard work, it was not given to me. I have been out of debt for years, my son just turned 40, has his house paid for which sets on his farm, put in a nice lake, and this year should be completely out of debt, works his tail off, puts in the hours and has traveled as far away as Springfield Mo to do large project. All my children are hard workers, my oldest daughter has her masters from University Chicago and working on her PHD, travels to other countries in her work, her and her husband have good jobs but they work and work hard. My children learned to work when they were about 8 years old, they learned the value of a dollar, they earned their money doing what ever dad could find for them. Today it is all about entitlement. I have always lived by the idea that I would do what ever I had to do to make a living, shovel ****, or what ever, I would never be above any labor to support my family and I instilled this thinking in my children. I try to always pick up a penny when I see one on the ground because I never want to feel I am above the value of a penny, just out of principle. I am for sure not the brightest, most educated or smartest that post on these boards but I do know the value of hard work. I could retire, but I enjoy what I do, I look forward to friday and look forward to monday and more than anything seeing my boys grow as men with good principles in life. Contrary to what our society has become, nothing should be free, you should work for it, there is no entitlement. Rant over with, hit a nerve there.

Unforgettable

about what I figured from you, just a smart ass kid that thinks he knows it all. Then again you are a state employee versus hte rest of us that work for al iving,, many of us actually put people to work paying taxes so somone like you can look down his nose at others. There will come a day you will get fired, not because of 'education' but because of attitude, well that is if you ever get off the government tit which you seem to like in so many ways.

*yawn*

Unforgettable

i appreciate what Badrose has done, not many would do what he has done, at least not many in the younger generation as they would rather take the government tit and keep it in their mouths for as long as possible. The thing about a guy like John, he has pride and we need more like him.

Just an FYI for those in this thread... I've known John for many years. His situation is as he presents and I truly feel for him. I don't have issues with folks like this drawing UE benefits. I do when there is no effort to find a job or better their situations.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    about what I figured from you, just a smart ass kid that thinks he knows it all. Then again you are a state employee versus hte rest of us that work for al iving,, many of us actually put people to work paying taxes so somone like you can look down his nose at others. There will come a day you will get fired, not because of 'education' but because of attitude, well that is if you ever get off the government tit which you seem to like in so many ways.

Fiddlin' Five

Sad you have become such a little person.

Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
    Sad you have become such a little person.
    I'm the only one that's been personally insulted in this thread, and I'm the small one? Interesting.

Unforgettable

Doc, the company I came to work for in miss laid off all of us sales reps a long time ago right at Christmas. I could have applied for unemployment but felt I had done a good enough job with a good reputation in the industry that I decided I would get a job before any payments could have started so right after New Years I spent a bunch of money in gas, hotel and meals toi go to a trade show and start interviewing. I left with a job. When IBM closed the office my wife worked for, same deal. She could have applied but we did a lot of research and opened our business.

Like the rest who have started their own business we did without for a long time, put in many long hours and still do but we were not going on that tit unless we just had to. It is what I admire what bad has written so much. My hat is off to him

Really?

Let's do a little thought experiment Mr. "I'm too good for unemployment!"
    In summation - Your point of view on this matter is myopic and reeks of ignorance.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I'm the only one that's been personally insulted in this thread, and I'm the small one? Interesting.
    Personally I have no problem with being brash with folks. What you won't see me do is deny thats what my intent was. Sorry but "mr too good for unemployment" comment was intended to be an insult. No other way to really see that I can think of. Ditto for the "yawn" comment. Sorry that you find some posts so boring that you have a hard time keeping awake.

To suggest that you are the only one who has been insulted is.... well, myopic and reeks of ignorance.

It wasn't intended to be, and I apologized to you if it was taken that way. Even so, it wasn't nearly on the level of what jazy directed at me.
    Last edited by BigBlueBrock; 02-14-2013 at 01:13 PM.

It wasn't intended to be, and I apologized to you if it was taken that way. Even so, it wasn't nearly on the level of way jazy directed at me.
    I don't disagree.

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Unforgettable

I have had people come in and apply for a job with no intentions of wanting a job. When told we had no openings we are asked to fill out a form saying they had applied but turned down, so yea they abuse the system quite regularly

Unforgettable

[i really don't feel bad about dissing you nor will I apologize. Several months ago you had no problem insulting Christians, their faith and beliefs. You like dishing but can't handle it coming back at you.

A lot of us have disagreements while being civil, you haven't learned that, and your 'too good to do garbage' work is an arrogant comment. I have respect for those guys doing what they do for not a lot of money in all weather conditions and people like you looking down their noses at them. They could be selling drugs, sitting on their butts collecting welfare, but instead they work. It's pride and I thank them for it

QUOTE=BigBlueBrock;56458]It wasn't intended to be, and I apologized to you if it was taken that way. Even so, it wasn't nearly on the level of what jazy directed at me.[/QUOTE]

I don't begrudge people at all for collecting unemployment insurance. These people were employed and their employers paid into the system.