Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Comparison: Coach K's 1st 8 Years At Duke Versus Coach Cal At UK

Coach K
    174-84 for 67.4%
    1 Regular Season Conference Title
    2 ACC Tourney Titles
    5 NCAA Appearances
    2 Elite 8s
    2 Final 4s
    1 Title Game

Coach Cal
    249-53 for 82.5%
    5 SEC Regular Season Conference Titles
    5 SEC Tourney Titles
    7 NCAA Appearances
    6 Elite 8s
    4 Final 4s
    2 Title Games
    1 NCAA Title

And lest we forget, Duke was a top 5 team nearly the whole 1980 season. K took over in 1980-1981.

Darryl

Re: Comparison: Coach K's 1st 8 Years At Duke Versus Coach Cal At UK

Coach K is the greatest coach I think ever. The fact we are neck and neck with him now speaks volumes to cal after what he cleaned up from bcg and Tubby

Re: Comparison: Coach K's 1st 8 Years At Duke Versus Coach Cal At UK

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    Coach K is the greatest coach I think ever. The fact we are neck and neck with him now speaks volumes to cal after what he cleaned up from bcg and Tubby
    I agree completely. I certainly have my armchair qb thoughts on what we/Cal/UK might be able to do better in certain areas, but itís fine tuning a Ferrari not replacing the transmission on a rusted out Pinto (BCG) or squeezing out the last few miles out of a solid, but aging pickup with maintenance issues (Tubby).

Admittedly the 2015 finale is still a bitter pill and the way last yearís run ended left me feeling empty and cheated to be honest. The way that went down is nothing against Cal, just losing Fox almost immediately in the first half and the fact that it felt like we were playing against a stacked deck with what Iíll always believe was the superior team peaking at the right time just soured me period. I really loved that team, the kids, the way they played and it was special having two in-State seniors who were contributing mightily to the teamís success. Not to mention the souring on a macro scale with the NCAA as a whole with the UNC travesty, shoegate, etc, Iím coming into this season without a lot of good vibes overall.

Couple that with the fact that Iím having to acclimate to basically a new and unfamiliar group, and thatís no negative to the kids at all, itís taken a little bit of the luster off of and my excitement for my absolute favorite team in my favorite sport embarking on a new campaign. And honestly I feel like thatís on me more as a fan than on any perceived inadequacies with Cal or the program. It is what it is and the more way play, the more listen to these guys comments and get to know their makeup individually and collectively the more Iím coming around to that old familiar joy of getting to saddle up for the next journey.

I probably derailed off topic a bit, but the bottom line is that Iím very thankful for the state of the program, the quality of the kids weíre bringing in and the fact that despite public perception, these guys are taking care of business in the classroom and setting the bar for the next group and establishing a standard of excellence both on and off the court. Could Cal improve in certain areas? Iíd say certainly, but am I happy with where we are overall - extremely and very grateful for the renaissance Cal has orchestrated in his tenure.