Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Reading Around (And Goes For Me Too); UK Fans Seem Less Confident About Cal

Yeah UK fans are spoiled and forgetful. UK blows 2-3 CLOSE chances for a title, Duke wins a couple of painful recruiting battles and now we tire of Cal? Those 2 things are only so painful because Cal has been so ELITE that we can feel the heartbreak. But ANY other option would be even worse: we wouldn't even get close enough to feel the heartbreak of a Wisconsin loss nor would we be dominant enough in recruiting to feel the pain of losing out on a no. 1 recruit like Barrett to Duke.

Just need K to retire!

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

I very much agree with the OP....since it was me. I don't consider myself unreasonable at all. NO ONE here has posted more positive things about Cal or been aware of his remarkable accomplishments more than me. That being said, anyone that thinks the 2015 season and/or the U19 loss didn't shake things up for my confidence is being very nave. The 2015 UK team was arguably the most talented/deepest college team since the 1996 Pitino group. It wasn't just that we lost to a very good Wisconsin team. We nearly lost to Notre Dame; we had 4-5 other games during the season that could have gone either way. That team had 8-9 pros on it.

As for the U19 team, Cal lost to a Canada team that had ONE player who would have made his USA team rotation. The game was a blowout. The USA team was never in it after halftime. Cal just hoped "his guys would figure it out". HE makes those statements afterward....not me.

I hope he stays 10 more years but he will NEVER have a better team than either 2010 or 2015 and neither made the title game. On the plus side, his best coaching jobs here were the 2011 and 2014 years. Just remarkable coaching.

Darryl

OK ill do my own research on the K vs Cal thing.

Coach K is 70 years old
    Cal is 58 years old

K has 5 titles (1991, 1992, 2001, 2010, 2015)
    Cal has 1 title (2012)

K has been at Duke for 36 seasons- 1980-2017
    Cal has been at UK for 8 season - 2009-2017

Realistically cal could coach for 12 more years at UK after K retires. Based on the title rate of one every 8-10 years that means Cal has one more title in him, which would pull him pretty close to even with K in their times at their flagship school (in regard to title rate). 5 in 40 years vs 2 in 20 years... If Cal could catch lightning in a bottle, which would probably happen if he won one, then he could flip the script and seemingly win 2 titles in the next 10 years. 3 in 20 years and eclipse the win rate of titles vs the great coach K. Especially making this possible would be K retiring and leaving us back on the throne of the one and done, if that continues.

I feel pretty good that if we don't run Cal off that by the time Brad graduates, Cal may be the godfather of college basketball with K gone, and the lure of staying until he is 70 is enough to keep him here vs jump for the NBA or philanthropy. If that happens I expect 1-2 more titles out of Cal and he will be sitting right behind or in front of K on the list of greatest runs in college bball.

With that said, Cal basically has 12 years to catch up with the title rate of K after K retires (if he ever does). Now if K wins the title this year and next, I think its out of reach. I guess what i'm saying is you can't compare K and Cal as apples to apples just simply based on the time they've been at their schools. Give Cal the extra years when K is gone and I think he will get another one or two, but I'm not sure he will stick around that long.
    Go Cats!

In fairness to Cal, his 2 best teams AWAY from UK were beaten by 2 all time great teams.

In the Final 4 in 1996 UMass nearly took down one of the 2-3 best college teams ever in UK. And they did beat us soundly on a neutral court earlier in the season.

In 2008 Kansas beat Memphis in OT. Several rankings I have seen have that Jayhawks team in the top 2-3 NCAA title teams of the 2000s.

Cal COULD have 2-3 more titles. BUT....that can be said about any top coach.

Darryl

The number and quality of talent Cal has in many of those years was unprecedented. That is a factor which can’t be overlooked in this discussion.

Then again, the youth of Cals teams is also significant.
    Last edited by kingcat; 11-22-2017 at 01:35 PM.

"I wish I would have a real tragic love affair and get so bummed out that I'd just quit my job and become a bum for a few years, because I was thinking about doing that anyway." Jack Handey ,

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I feel the same. But I also know most coaches would have never garnered as many great players.

The priority for Cal is preparing kids for the NBA, and secondly to prepare a team that can compete for a title. And supposedly, that in turn boosts the quality of recruiting which then enhances team performance. TADA!

That is the sore spot fans continue to dance around. There are proving to be flaws in that method which seemed for a while to set UK apart from Duke and everyone else. For example, the fact that the expectations with regard to team and coaching success, not only within the fan base, but from a national perspective, also increase exponentially. And failure to meet those expectations, realistic or not, has a negative affect on Cals methodology.

I believe that's where a major concern lies. At least for those who had been convinced we'd need to build a bigger trophy case for Cal's UK championships. Or understand that a couple of off UK seasons will find Kansas overtaking us in all time wins or expose K's ability to win multiple or back to back titles which would find him knocking at the door of equaling UK in titles.

Those would be severely damaging to Cal's sales pitch and the program.
    I will start off by saying that there's no other coach that I'd rather have coaching Kentucky right now than Calipari. I think he's the best fit for this program and hope he stays for a long time.

But I also must admit that the 2015 fiasco made me lose a tremendous amount of confidence in him and that has tempered my expectations going forward. At one time Cal's calling card was that he was able to adapt his coaching style and coaching philosophy etc. to best fit the talent at hand. There's plenty of examples of him doing just that and succeeding.

But with 2015, while he started off great, he seriously reverted down the stretch and turned what was an all-time great team into a shell of what it was. I'm not going into the details here, we discussed it plenty during the season and after, but as far as I'm concerned he completely choked that season away and wasted what should have been a historic achievement in the process (which would have burnished his reputation for good BTW) with his stubborness.

To make matters worse his comments after that season suggest that he didn't learn one thing, and likely would repeat some of the same mistakes he made the first time around. That more than anything has caused me to reevaluate how successful UK can really be in the years ahead.
    Receive updates on my UK website on Twitter at https://twitter.com/bigbluehistory

Quote Originally Posted by JPScott View Post
    I will start off by saying that there's no other coach that I'd rather have coaching Kentucky right now than Calipari. I think he's the best fit for this program and hope he stays for a long time.

But I also must admit that the 2015 fiasco made me lose a tremendous amount of confidence in him and that has tempered my expectations going forward. At one time Cal's calling card was that he was able to adapt his coaching style and coaching philosophy etc. to best fit the talent at hand. There's plenty of examples of him doing just that and succeeding.

But with 2015, while he started off great, he seriously reverted down the stretch and turned what was an all-time great team into a shell of what it was. I'm not going into the details here, we discussed it plenty during the season and after, but as far as I'm concerned he completely choked that season away and wasted what should have been a historic achievement in the process (which would have burnished his reputation for good BTW) with his stubborness.

To make matters worse his comments after that season suggest that he didn't learn one thing, and likely would repeat some of the same mistakes he made the first time around. That more than anything has caused me to reevaluate how successful UK can really be in the years ahead.
    I also think it was a mistake to hold that joint press conference after the season where the 7 guys announced they were leaving. It was just too soon after one of the 2-3 most bitter losses in UK history

Duke was celebrating their/OUR title and we were celebrating "Players First"

They all should have done it with less flair, IMO

Darryl

I do not think many fans have forgotten or forgiven him for his "biggest day in UK basketball history" comment after the 2010 NBA draft.
    seeya
    dan

I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky. Hunter S Thompson

I'm not tied of Cal but I am tired of the constant turnover on the roster. This team has talent but they are so young. We need to have some upper class guys like a Willis or Miller or Hawkins that can provide some leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    UK Fans are idiots...and are the most ungrateful, unreasonable, unbelievable & unpleasable people on the planet.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    Cal just needs a "Tweak" in the rules to shake things up a bit. He is just fine! With the exception of Brad Stevens, there is no other coach that I would want at UK.

Peace

Richard (CW)
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    Cal just needs a "Tweak" in the rules to shake things up a bit. He is just fine! With the exception of Brad Stevens, there is no other coach that I would want at UK.

Peace

Richard (CW)
    Seriously. The Cal era is unprecedented. Hey, I had a year where the constant turnover had me down. It wasn't and isn't the program I was used to. But guys, Duke may be beating Cal at his own game, BUT THEY ARE PLAYING CAL'S GAME!!!

I worried about the defections this year. Cal is getting multi-year players and he is also elevating kids faster than we ever thought. Our guys seem very upright guys. Good citizens, right? I watched Marcus Lee at Cal--he was Marcus Lee.

Cal yells. He's old school. Tibbu had his glare and ball line defense. Whay I know is Cal gave me and my sons and my Dad the best hoops years together before Dad died. He gets all my loyalty for that alone after the post-2003 Tubby and Clyde.

The way he came out I thought he'd win 3 maybe 4 titles now I d be happy with 2 titles

So many forces working against Cal/UK when it comes to tourney time, margin of error so slim.

Someone should be prosecuted for what happened last year.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
    So many forces working against Cal/UK when it comes to tourney time, margin of error so slim.

Someone should be prosecuted for what happened last year.
    Spot on!!!!

This thread has the feel of a Strawman lurking -- the supposed lack of confidence in Cal by UK fans-- that I frankly haven't seen or felt. I think people can criticize Cal fairly, just like you would any good friend/family member, but that doesn't mean that there's any more or less confidence in Cal from a big-picture standpoint.

All of the points about Cal's pros and cons have been endlessly debated. I have nothing to add there.

The one new thought I'll offer is that Cal's recruiting pitch (as reported publicly; who can know what he says privately?) seems to have become more defiant in recent years. There is generally less positivity around his pitch-- i.e., any sort of a statement about why a kid SHOULD want to go to UK -- and more of a challenge and active discouragement of kids from accepting that challenge. [The one positive about UK that we hear is: "We get guys to the pros." I've always been worried about how that pitch would play in comparison to Duke's pitch, which will point to a similar ability and follow with praise for the school itself, the "you'll be set for life" stuff, etc. Maybe that pitch would work when no other program got guys to the pros reliably, but Duke is able to match that now.]

He is adamant that "this isn't for everyone" and "no promises" and "I can't hide you" and "relentless competition every day in practice" and other hurdles that a kid has to jump over before Cal will continue a recruitment. I'm fine with all of those messages being a part of the recruiting pitch, but I suppose what I think seems to be missing lately is any sort of positive gloss to the comments; rather, there is a weariness behind it, IMHO, that suggests he might be tiring after years of recruiting top-flight kids.

Maybe that's reading way too much into the few tea leaves that we get on his recruiting methods. In fact, I'm sure it is. I just throw it out there for discussion purposes.

Nonetheless, even if it's 100% accurate, this discussion wouldn't represent "less confidence about Cal" at the big-picture level. That seems like a Strawman argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
    This thread has the feel of a Strawman lurking -- the supposed lack of confidence in Cal by UK fans-- that I frankly haven't seen or felt. I think people can criticize Cal fairly, just like you would any good friend/family member, but that doesn't mean that there's any more or less confidence in Cal from a big-picture standpoint.

All of the points about Cal's pros and cons have been endlessly debated. I have nothing to add there.

The one new thought I'll offer is that Cal's recruiting pitch (as reported publicly; who can know what he says privately?) seems to have become more defiant in recent years. There is generally less positivity around his pitch-- i.e., any sort of a statement about why a kid SHOULD want to go to UK -- and more of a challenge and active discouragement of kids from accepting that challenge. [The one positive about UK that we hear is: "We get guys to the pros." I've always been worried about how that pitch would play in comparison to Duke's pitch, which will point to a similar ability and follow with praise for the school itself, the "you'll be set for life" stuff, etc. Maybe that pitch would work when no other program got guys to the pros reliably, but Duke is able to match that now.]

He is adamant that "this isn't for everyone" and "no promises" and "I can't hide you" and "relentless competition every day in practice" and other hurdles that a kid has to jump over before Cal will continue a recruitment. I'm fine with all of those messages being a part of the recruiting pitch, but I suppose what I think seems to be missing lately is any sort of positive gloss to the comments; rather, there is a weariness behind it, IMHO, that suggests he might be tiring after years of recruiting top-flight kids.

Maybe that's reading way too much into the few tea leaves that we get on his recruiting methods. In fact, I'm sure it is. I just throw it out there for discussion purposes.

Nonetheless, even if it's 100% accurate, this discussion wouldn't represent "less confidence about Cal" at the big-picture level. That seems like a Strawman argument.
    I’ve wondered the same about his pitch, it used to come with a smile now it comes w a smirk
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post

Good post, i have wondered the same in regards to his pitch

Ky fans might try enjoying today and appreciating what they have versus always worrying. Its tiring when you no longer enjoy or appreciate talented teams lead by a HoF coach.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I do not think many fans have forgotten or forgiven him for his "biggest day in UK basketball history" comment after the 2010 NBA draft.
    Then those “fans” are idiots and need to go somewhere else.

Unforgettable

We have a HOF coach who has restored UK basketball to the top of the hill after a lazy coach and a drunken fool.

Each year under a Cal I now expect to compete for a NC and a trip to the FF which I haven't felt that way since Rupp.

He made one made coaching move in a game against Wisconsin where he let his heart over rule his head and cost probably a 40-0 record. I doubt he does that again ever.

He probably wins a NC last season if not for cheating officials. From start to finish those officials decided the game right up to the last 2 buckets by uncheat that should not have counted plus Monk should have had a ft coming. As bad as officiating was he still had us in a chance to win

I don't worry about turnover in players. I don't watch the NBA but I look at box scores every night to see how "our" guys did. They don't get in trouble, they didn't in school, good kids, good young men,

Cal has to recruit against several things. He doesn't cheat to my knowledge vs many who do. Want to know why Duke is getting players. Look at their history and K knows with absolute certainty he can do what he wants w/o consequences. I know for a fact Bolden wanted to come to UK, wanted to transfer to UK last spring...Cal said no....but momma would not let him sign with UK. I know for a fact all she talked about was Duke taking care of them. Kept saying all Cal talked about was NBA, where did she get that. It's what schools, especially K uses against Cal. I know KP told momma that IF her son worked hard there was a chance he could become a millionaire but it would be up to him, no promises. Look at him now, nothing. Wonder if she spent the money they gave her. State paid Newmans dad, Cal isn't going to do that.

So he recruits against cheats that have the NCAA in their hip pocket, he recruits against negative words, he is honest with recruits, no promises, Ky is not for everyone, he has a compliance director who is tough thank goodness. You have players and or parents who want to be the star, not share. Johnny OBryant told me that personally that is why he didn't come to Ky.

For those who are tired of him, it's your problem. It's obvious you won't be happy with any coach at some point

Me, I am going to enjoy watching another group of kids grow over the next 4.1 months, I expect them to win a NC, and if they don't I will have enjoyed their time with me and will start counting the days until the next season and talk Cardinal baseball 4 or 5 days a week with paducacas dad

I have waited a long time since Rupp for a coach like Cal

I’m not tired of Cal, I think he’s missed some real opportunities to distance himself and UK from other blue bloods in terms of titles. After last spring and the multiple ref in hip pocket officiating UNC got against us, the Hogs, Oregon, and Gonzaga, I know now it’ll be even harder for him to break through and win another championship. I honestly now think he will be VERY fortunate to find himself winning or being in another title game, partially due to some coaching warts he has, but primarily due to forces not wanting him or UK to win another. I wouldn’t have thought this at one time. However evidence seems to build to the contrary. My interest will be inversely proportionate to the fix is in formula. After 2015, my confidence was shaken a bit, last year only reinforced it. Not so much in Cal himself but more in the forces surrounding the tournament.
    Last edited by UKRxman93; 11-24-2017 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    We have a HOF coach who has restored UK basketball to the top of the hill after a lazy coach and a drunken fool.

Each year under a Cal I now expect to compete for a NC and a trip to the FF which I haven't felt that way since Rupp.

He made one made coaching move in a game against Wisconsin where he let his heart over rule his head and cost probably a 40-0 record. I doubt he does that again ever.

He probably wins a NC last season if not for cheating officials. From start to finish those officials decided the game right up to the last 2 buckets by uncheat that should not have counted plus Monk should have had a ft coming. As bad as officiating was he still had us in a chance to win

I don't worry about turnover in players. I don't watch the NBA but I look at box scores every night to see how "our" guys did. They don't get in trouble, they didn't in school, good kids, good young men,

Cal has to recruit against several things. He doesn't cheat to my knowledge vs many who do. Want to know why Duke is getting players. Look at their history and K knows with absolute certainty he can do what he wants w/o consequences. I know for a fact Bolden wanted to come to UK, wanted to transfer to UK last spring...Cal said no....but momma would not let him sign with UK. I know for a fact all she talked about was Duke taking care of them. Kept saying all Cal talked about was NBA, where did she get that. It's what schools, especially K uses against Cal. I know KP told momma that IF her son worked hard there was a chance he could become a millionaire but it would be up to him, no promises. Look at him now, nothing. Wonder if she spent the money they gave her. State paid Newmans dad, Cal isn't going to do that.

So he recruits against cheats that have the NCAA in their hip pocket, he recruits against negative words, he is honest with recruits, no promises, Ky is not for everyone, he has a compliance director who is tough thank goodness. You have players and or parents who want to be the star, not share. Johnny OBryant told me that personally that is why he didn't come to Ky.

For those who are tired of him, it's your problem. It's obvious you won't be happy with any coach at some point

Me, I am going to enjoy watching another group of kids grow over the next 4.1 months, I expect them to win a NC, and if they don't I will have enjoyed their time with me and will start counting the days until the next season and talk Cardinal baseball 4 or 5 days a week with paducacas dad

Great points as always jazy

Amen Jazy...

Great post Jazy!
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You