Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Reading Around (And Goes For Me Too); UK Fans Seem Less Confident About Cal

My man Ander posted today that UK fans may be tiring of Cal (or at least the one and done); after all he has been here going on 9 seasons. As for me, I think the general tone is that a great many fans feel less confident Cal will ever win another title. The 2015 season just took something out of so many fans; then last year we had a GREAT shot at the title but I will believe to my dying day we were cheated out of a title.

The draws the last 2 years have just been horribly unfair. In 2016 the champs from the ACC, the Big 10 and the SEC were not only in the same bracket.....they were on the same freaking side of the bracket. Then in 2017, 4 of the best 8 teams in the nation were in our bracket (UK, WSU, UCLA and UNC). Even in 2015, there were 5 teams that most likely would be champs (UK, Wisconsin, Arizona, Notre Dame, Duke). 4 of the 5 were on our side of the bracket. Anyone that thinks we will EVER get a fair shake with Cal at UK is very naÔve.

I do think/hope?? we will get Vanderbilt and Baker back this year and really start to kick butt. I also hope we get that super team for next year. BUT...it is possible Cal never wins another title at UK. It would be a bit of an underachieving reign if so. The talent for the last 8-9 years has been unprecedented.....even by UCLA in the Wooden era. Of course, they kept their players 3-4 years.

Darryl

Re: Reading Around (And Goes For Me Too); UK Fans Seem Less Confident About Cal

We may need the NBA CBA to change the rules to change things up a bit.

Bet Cal would adapt well. Might carry him through til retirement with new successes.

I think 2015 took a little out of Cal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    We may need the NBA CBA to change the rules to change things up a bit.

Bet Cal would adapt well. Might carry him through til retirement with new successes.
    I think so. My biggest fear is the late date they would let players go by to make a final decision. Should a coach simply not go after the top 5-8 players, knowing they almost certainly jump? In 2013, Cal could have theoretically lost Randle, the Twins, Dakari and James Young in late April/early May.

If nothing is changed about the late date, roster management will be very tricky.

Darryl

Well, I personally don't feel the same as other UK fans. I view it as a statistical sample that's just too small. If we had an Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, or John Wall added to this year's team, yes, we'd be young--but we'd also be the favorite to win it all. Just one player (at least, in my mind).

The curse of the superstar. Like an "on/off" switch. You either get him, or you don't.

But I do think it would be cool to change the rules and see what happens. Even on his "bad" days, Cal has done great under the one-and-done rules. Great. Historically great, at Kentucky.

But what happens when he's gone? Will the next guy?

So might as well change the rules now. Let Cal adapt.

(Hopefully they'll figure out something that will prevent the awfully late recruiting decisions from having to be made, as you describe, Darryl. Might not, which would create all kind of other issues, wouldn't it?)

Darryl, I think the uk fans who are tired of Cal need to take a deep breath...change is not always good buddy..we’ll never have another Cal. I’m amazed that after 8 seasons, 4 final fours, 6 elite 8’s, sec champions, 1 title, that we are even having this conversation. We got 8 Mcdonald all Americans trying their hardest and a coach who is Coaching is ass off and the fact we are even having the conversation is comical, frustrating, and mind blowing to me.

I love the one and done... however for UK to potentially not skip a beat, having a rule where kids can’t leave after 2 seasons will help the next guy...I feel for the next guy and feel for the fans..will the next guy have 8 all Americans to mold and try to be a team?

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    Darryl, I think the uk fans who are tired of Cal need to take a deep breath...change is not always good buddy..we’ll never have another Cal. I’m amazed that after 8 seasons, 4 final fours, 6 elite 8’s, sec champions, 1 title, that we are even having this conversation. We got 8 Mcdonald all Americans trying their hardest and a coach who is Coaching is ass off and the fact we are even having the conversation is comical, frustrating, and mind blowing to me.
    Totally agree. Hard to imagine anyone who would have been better or who will be better over the short run.
    "Calipariís Young Blue Machine marches on, slashing and burning and winning."
    - Bill Simmons.

Super Kitten

Totally agree. As they say be careful what you wish for. Duke seems to have a slight edge and we all want to andon ship. Unbelievable

Travis, few are as supportive of Cal as I have been. This is the 3rd best 8 year in UK history (and the 2nd best by a single coach behind Coach Rupp in 1946-54...9 years but 8 seasons). I will ALWAYS mention that but Cal has 2 major faults that may always hinder him; stubborn....stubborn....stubborn AND he does play down to his competition (will not dictate tempo against anyone)

Darryl
    Last edited by Darryl; 11-21-2017 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopcat View Post
    Totally agree. As they say be careful what you wish for. Duke seems to have a slight edge and we all want to andon ship. Unbelievable
    With all due respect, that is an over-reaction. Anyone that wants to kick Cal to the side is crazy.

Darryl

Great point(s)

So if k had stopped coaching a cals age, I don't even know the difference, what would his duke title record be? He's had a lot of late success after missed opportunity. If cal stays we may see more but we need like 10 years more to get a few titles.
    Go Cats!

I posted a long time ago that I was tired of Cal. Doesn't mean I want him gone or I have not enjoyed the success. Has nothing to do with the one and done either.

Might want to hang in there with Cal a while longer...

Super Kitten

For the record his constant yelling during the game does wear on me. Still would not trade him for anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I posted a long time ago that I was tired of Cal. Doesn't mean I want him gone or I have not enjoyed the success. Has nothing to do with the one and done either.
    Well then what is it? The millions he has raised for charities?

Quote Originally Posted by snoopcat View Post
    For the record his constant yelling during the game does wear on me. Still would not trade him for anybody.
    Do you choose to not watch the other coaches who yell at their players?

Super Kitten

Do you choose to not watch the other coaches who yell at their players?
    He seems to yell louder and more frequently. JMO. Like I said I would trade him for anyone.

You're absolutely right! The fans that may be ready to kick Cal to the curb needs to take a deep breath and back away from the ledge. It would pay them to think back to the dry years we had before Cal came here. I wouldn't trade him for any coach in the NCAA myself. I don't always agree with everything he does, but I haven't coached BB for years and won almost 700 games either. Who could we get that would be a better coach? Some fans gripe about the one and done players and then gripe because Cal misses one. You just can't have it both ways. Next year should be a good mix of experienced players as well as some newcomers. If we get Zion an maybe Brown or Wiseman, we have as good a chance as anyone winning it all.

Well then what is it? The millions he has raised for charities?
    Did I say he didn't do good things?

Absolutely the 2015 took something out of me . I don't even care much about regular season games. And I do feel Cal needs to have the very top players to win it all , and he's been missing on his top targets . I think most coaches would have won the title with the Wall , Cousins team and the 2015 team .

Quote Originally Posted by Powermaker View Post
    Absolutely the 2015 took something out of me . I don't even care much about regular season games. And I do feel Cal needs to have the very top players to win it all , and he's been missing on his top targets . I think most coaches would have won the title with the Wall , Cousins team and the 2015 team .
    I feel the same. But I also know most coaches would have never garnered as many great players.

The priority for Cal is preparing kids for the NBA, and secondly to prepare a team that can compete for a title. And supposedly, that in turn boosts the quality of recruiting which then enhances team performance. TADA!

That is the sore spot fans continue to dance around. There are proving to be flaws in that method which seemed for a while to set UK apart from Duke and everyone else. For example, the fact that the expectations with regard to team and coaching success, not only within the fan base, but from a national perspective, also increase exponentially. And failure to meet those expectations, realistic or not, has a negative affect on Cals methodology.

I believe that's where a major concern lies. At least for those who had been convinced we'd need to build a bigger trophy case for Cal's UK championships. Or understand that a couple of off UK seasons will find Kansas overtaking us in all time wins or expose K's ability to win multiple or back to back titles which would find him knocking at the door of equaling UK in titles.

Those would be severely damaging to Cal's sales pitch and the program.
    Last edited by kingcat; 11-22-2017 at 03:12 AM.

"I wish I would have a real tragic love affair and get so bummed out that I'd just quit my job and become a bum for a few years, because I was thinking about doing that anyway." ó Jack Handey ,

Yes I know K has one more title during his 8 years while cal has been here...however let’s not forget the flame outs. He had Jayson Taytum last year, who is already a very good NBA player and lost to South Carolina. Yes he has the one more title, but I guarantee UK fans would be tired of him like they are of Cal. He yells, his teams rarely play D and are soft.. and the guy is the greatest coach of all time. However he has had some not great stretches at duke. At UK he would not be here imo

UK Fans Seem Less Confident About Cal
    UK Fans are idiots...and are the most ungrateful, unreasonable, unbelievable & unpleasable people on the planet.

Freshman

Darryl, I think the uk fans who are tired of Cal need to take a deep breath...change is not always good buddy..weíll never have another Cal. Iím amazed that after 8 seasons, 4 final fours, 6 elite 8ís, sec champions, 1 title, that we are even having this conversation. We got 8 Mcdonald all Americans trying their hardest and a coach who is Coaching is ass off and the fact we are even having the conversation is comical, frustrating, and mind blowing to me.
    This is exactly how I feel. The negativity surrounding this team and the (to me) unwarranted harsh criticism of Cal is inexplicable. I realize this team isn't perfect and maybe not built to win a title, but I'm going to try to enjoy the season anyway. Otherwise what's the point?
    Last edited by goodycat; 11-22-2017 at 09:23 AM.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000

I haven’t seen anyone here who is tired of Cal. Admittedly I don’t go to other sites. What I see is fair criticism that worries some kind folks who are concerned Cal will get upset at fans and leave.

I may be wrong but if given a choice I believe everyone would still choose Cal as our guy. But the man has tread uncharted waters here and we all, including Cal, learn from the pitfalls encountered.

"I wish I would have a real tragic love affair and get so bummed out that I'd just quit my job and become a bum for a few years, because I was thinking about doing that anyway." ó Jack Handey ,

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I haven’t seen anyone here who is tired of Cal. Admittedly I don’t go to other sites. What I see is fair criticism that worries some kind folks who are concerned Cal will get upset at fans and leave.

I may be wrong but if given a choice I believe everyone would still choose Cal as our guy. But the man has tread uncharted waters here and we all, including Cal, learn from the pitfalls encountered.
    I agree with this--the fact that many of us get irritated at him from time to time doesn't mean we still don't love him.

It is an amazing accomplishment to think that in a "down" year we're generally top 10. That's crazy. We ARE crazy. I love it.

Cal just needs a "Tweak" in the rules to shake things up a bit. He is just fine! With the exception of Brad Stevens, there is no other coach that I would want at UK.

Peace

Richard (CW)