Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocketknives!

Pocketknives!

Saw a question on the "Yes or No" Thread about whether you carried a pocket knife and thought it was a good thread to discuss, in case there are others.

Probably weird for me to be carry a pocket knife in a suit, but I do it when I wear a suit. I do it almost all the time. I do have to remember before going into some places with metal detectors to leave it in the car.

I began carrying a pocket knife when Catinthefort sent me one as a gift. A little "canoe" pocket knife, was a very good one to carry, small, but large enough to take care of day to day events.

I lost it.

It's somewhere, but I don't know where.

I think started carrying a Boker "automatic" knife. It's legal here. Just for the novelty of it (it's a switchblade, I guess you'd call it). It was a Boker Top Lock Speed Lock. Similar to this one:

I still have it, and every once in awhile, I will carry it. Not a great knife, but does what it is supposed to do. Left it out in an old car I had that leaked through the moon roof, and somehow I didn't realize I left it there. Ended up rusting. Rather than trying to do it right, let my son "sand it" and so it got all the rust off, but really messed up the beauty of the knife. So it's a workhorse now anyway.

Had somebody offer me a Benchmade Griptilian knife for $30 a couple of years ago. I bought it, sent it back to the factory to have them sharpen it, put on a new clip, and just sort of do an overhaul on it. I carry it every day. Just a much more reliable pocket knife, and even though it's better, if I ever had to explain what knife I was carrying, I think it would be an easier "sell" than a --gasp-- switchblade!

Anyway, here's the one I carry now. Or one like it.

If I had to GUESS, I'd say I use it once a week on average. Often enough it justifies it.

So...what do you carry?

Re: Pocketknives!

This one right here

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Very nice, Dan. That's a much better choice for an every day carry pocket knife.

(But I still like what I carry.)

I don’t right now, but I will hijack this thread to ask if anybody here knows about older knives.

I have my great-grandfathers’s case knife. I believe it is deer stag handle, but I cannot find out its age. I’ve found the number on the blade and looked it up online, but found no answer. He died in 1976, so ot’s obviously older than that, but I do not know how much.

What I think is cool is that the blades are folded in (closed) but in between them area is a small piece of wood shaving and a small sliver of paper. I am guessing those are from the last time he whittled with it, which really adds a personal connection. I believe it is not monetarily valuable but it is priceless sentimentally.

I cannot get a picture of it right now, but will try to soon, though probably post-holiday, if that will help.

Any suggested websites or other resources would be appreciated.

For special occasions I carry a Boker three blade that my Dad brought back from Germany in WWII and is just like the one he carried until the day he died. The closest I can find on the Boker website is a Stockman, with an Ebony handle.
    For everyday I carry a Buck 371H and prior to that a Schrade Uncle Henry Bear Claw, back when they were still American made.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Pappy back in the day all I carried were Uncle Henry knives. Well built bolsters and great steel in the blades. I threw the last one I bought away, it was junk.
    seeya
    dan

Flounder is that knife a 2, 3 or 4 blader? Also what is the length of the knife when folded?
    seeya
    dan

2 blades, maybe 3 inches eh3n folded, but it’s in a safe place now. I’ll come back with more details in a couple of days. This topic just reminded me I had never found those answers.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Flounder is that knife a 2, 3 or 4 blader? Also what is the length of the knife when folded?

Here is a link to a case knife collectors message board. Might want to join up and start a thread about your knife to see if they can provide any info. I am pretty sure registration is free.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com...forum.php?f=66
    seeya
    dan

Flounder if you can get me pics and any numbers or markings on the blades I can probably find it. I have one of the better Case knife books. We sell a number of them so I always have to work with knives.

Personally I carry a cheap "out the front" automatic knife. If it breaks or whatever I don't care, it's a cheapo. I used to carry butterfly knives. May go back to it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Here is a link to a case knife collectors message board. Might want to join up and start a thread about your knife to see if they can provide any info. I am pretty sure registration is free.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com...forum.php?f=66
    Those guys know their stuff. They'd definitely know.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Thanks.

I’ll get my stuff in order and try that

Pappy back in the day all I carried were Uncle Henry knives. Well built bolsters and great steel in the blades. I threw the last one I bought away, it was junk.
    It was lost, by me, from the back bumper of my Ranger.
    I drove, and walked, the neighborhood for days looking for that knife. I literally was nauseated.
    Couldn't dull that blade...
    Last edited by BigBluePappy; 11-21-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Poor damn grammar and syntax, and spelling. Aw heck, it was a hot mess...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Rupp's Runt

Never been a knife person other than a butter and steak knife...

My dad however is and does carry one some.

Tiny swiss army knife on my keychain

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post

For everyday I carry a Buck 371H and prior to that a Schrade Uncle Henry Bear Claw, back when they were still American made.
    I have one of the Uncle Henry Bear Claws, Schrade LB7. I traded a Boker Treebrand congress for it back around '84, tossed in a $1 boot. I had an Uncle Henry UH227 I traded for the Boker back in '81 or '82, gave a $1.25 boot on that trade. Bought the Uncle Henry new at the old general store near our house for $13, came with the leather sheath. Wish I still had the Uncle Henry UH227, the made in the USA Schrades have really gone up in value since Schrade moved manufacturing to China. Anyway, my total investment in the LB7 Bear Paw was $15.25.

My current everyday carry is a Boker Magnum copperhead pattern.

I gave around $10 for this one. After ruining some nice pocket knives I typically carry cheaper knives these days. The Boker Magnums are good everyday knives for the money. They are made in China, but use Boker's specs. Boker marketed some of these as the Boker Bonsai or Bonsai Magnum, virtually the same knife with the exception of the Bonsai using a Bonsai Tree emblem instead of the shield emblem.

I have several new knives still in their boxes some are Cases, some are Treebrand Bokers. With the decent quality in some of the better made in China knives today it makes no sense for me to spend $30-$60 to carry a pocketknife I may have to abuse.

You can still find made in the USA Uncle Henry knives on eBay at decent prices.

I know I was a kid when my dad bought this Uncle Henry single blade for me at a local sorghum festival. Not sure of my age though, I'm thinking somewhere around 8-12 so 40+ years ago. Not necessarily a pocket knife but I absolutely love this knife. Attachment 6927
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Ok, i’ve got mine here now, but can’t post pictures for some reason

It is 4 inches long, has 3 blades and the rang says “CASE” in all caps, printed letters. I don’t think it says anything below that - if so, it is faded to obscurity.

One site indicates 1920-1940as a date range, though I am now going to try the site linked #bove

Thanks again

Flounder, if you can email the pic to me, I figure I can post it here if you would like. Please post here if you do send the mail as I do not check that email account every day

dan_bgblue@yahoo.com
    seeya
    dan

I tried to edit your post to see what the issue was. You have a URL to a site that requires you to log in to see the photo. I tried the URL by itself and couldn't see anything without a Shutterfly account.

https://photos.shutterfly.com/full/23539217744

Pocketknives!

By the way, my Benchmade doesn't look nearly as good as that stock photo lol.

You’ve got mail

Thanks

Flounder, if you can email the pic to me, I figure I can post it here if you would like. Please post here if you do send the mail as I do not check that email account every day

dan_bgblue@yahoo.com

I couldn’t post it directly here, so I tried the Shutterfly account as a desperation attempt. I’ve sent pictures to Dan and have registered on the dite linked above

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I tried to edit your post to see what the issue was. You have a URL to a site that requires you to log in to see the photo. I tried the URL by itself and couldn't see anything without a Shutterfly account.

https://photos.shutterfly.com/full/23539217744

Flounder's knife

thumbnail.jpg

Attachment 6930
    seeya
    dan

I'll try to find a minute to look this one up in the book tomorrow. Going to be a crazy day, I have about 3 days to inventory 400 lots. Normally if we do 100 combined in a day that's a great day, so I need to do more like 133 a day. But I'll see what I can do.

Take care of work first - no rush on this. I appreciate your effort, but doon’t worty about it if you hav3 that type of wonk to do

Knives in general are a great topic.

I have bit my fingers with folding knives too many times not to value a locking blade. And the weight of those three blade folders is too much for khaki pockets with phones and keychains.

Camping I carry a locking buck on my keychain--2" blade with plastic handle. Boating I use a 3.5" fixed blade, velcro that plastic sheath to the dash for quick grab!

I brought all of Walter's knives home, not a stainless blade among them. Kept some but gave the rest to a 19 yr old knife maker learning his craft. I have a favorite carbon blade kitchen knife from Walter that the the young guy put a new rosewood handle on and it is so sharp it cuts coming out of the block. Walter travelled for Fishers for years and was a butcher for several years too. Just using his knife on a tomato or trimming meat brings back memories.

Flounder, if I may, I had the same problem posting pics a year or so ago. I fixed it by going into my settings on the top right of this page. The next page, on the left side column is a list, go to the bottom where "Attachments" are. Click on attachments. A list of all your posted pics in previous posts appears. Delete as you see necessary to clear space. Then try uploading a new pic in this thread, (Or wherever you want

That might work.
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Thanks. I shall try that - voila!

Thanks again

Attachment 6931

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    Flounder, if I may, I had the same problem posting pics a year or so ago. I fixed it by going into my settings on the top right of this page. The next page, on the left side column is a list, go to the bottom where "Attachments" are. Click on attachments. A list of all your posted pics in previous posts appears. Delete as you see necessary to clear space. Then try uploading a new pic in this thread, (Or wherever you want

That might work.
    Last edited by UKFlounder; 11-29-2017 at 11:59 AM.