Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What the Kansas game showed

1) We can win against a quality opponent despite a poor game by PJ

2) We can win against a quality opponwnt despite a poor game by Nick

3) We can't win against a quality opponent if both Nick and PJ play poorly

4) SKJ is a lot better than most think, and that a few more minutes a game last year might have really improved his game.

5) Our point guard play is suspect and needs to improve

6) We might be long and tall but rebounding is about effort and hustle. We didn't do either.

7) This team isn't as bad as some believe. We have a ways to go but the foundation is there

I'm a unitasker living in a multitasker world

Re: What the Kansas game showed

Agreed Doc. Kids played their butts off.

Fiddlin' Five

I'm in Australia now, so did not get to see the game.
    We're playing almost all freshmen, so I am not surprised that we lost. But when I saw the final score, before Doc's post, I felt a little bit of relief. After I read his post-game assessment, I feel better about this young team.
    We'll get better. A lot better. But it does appear that we're going to take some lumps before the SEC begins.

A lot of potential was discovered during the game, just have to stay focused and stick to the game plan.
    Loved the play to knox after the under 4 timeout when they had to score.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Shooting will be an issue so play to their strengths.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

6) We might be long and tall but rebounding is about effort and hustle. We didn't do either.
    Certainly not in the first half when we were beaten, I believe, 20-9. I've not watched the second but noticed in the box score we ended up 39-39. That not only indicates we rebounded a lot better (30-19 margin) but that there were a *lot* of missed shots in the second half.

Can't come away from this game feeling anything but good. Yes, they were without Preston, but we were without Vanderbilt and Baker. My initial reticence about this season is quickly changing to interest to see how these guys can develop.
    "Calipari’s Young Blue Machine marches on, slashing and burning and winning."
    - Bill Simmons.

The best thing about playing tough teams early is they show your weaknesses quickly and you have a plan on how to fix them.
    That mission was accomplished.

I still think Michigan State and Duke are the best 2 teams. Duke #1 by far, but I agree with Doc on everything that he just stated. Richards looked horrible at times...that missed ally oop dunk early in the first have set the tone for his game. This team is in desperate need of a Vanderbilt type player. I also think Baker is being under valued as well. I see him getting 8-10 minutes a game to just come in and provide some shooting. I truly hope he is coming back this year. I think this is a top 8 team by March. It will tough for anyone to stop Duke, but it only takes 1 game.

Peace

Richard (CW)

This team will be okay once players and Cal figure out the roles for each player and the players accept their roles.

SKJ is a difference maker this season, and has improved by leaps and bounds.

Knox, absolutely MUST be aggressive with the ball for this team to make a deep run in April. He couldn’t be stopped at times, yet just stayed parked on the perimeter. I’m just glad uk didn’t lose by 20, which I truly believed was going to happen

With 2, essentially starting Point Guards, it's going to take longer for them to "get it". Throw in the fact, that there was only 1 truly ELITE PG in this class, and he plays elsewhere, and we are going to take longer to develop than usual.

It all starts with the PG for Cal's teams. I know a lot of people, can easily see, that we have yet to develop an offensive identity. That's due to the inconsistency of playing time/style/skill of our PGs.

I understand the infatuation with SGA, and his defensive potential. However, I firmly believe that Quade needs to be the leader of this offense, and if Cal keeps this up, he's going to have a mess on his hands. It might work out like this, eventually, but it might take too long to develop, for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    I still think Michigan State and Duke are the best 2 teams. Duke #1 by far, but I agree with Doc on everything that he just stated. Richards looked horrible at times...that missed ally oop dunk early in the first have set the tone for his game. This team is in desperate need of a Vanderbilt type player. I also think Baker is being under valued as well. I see him getting 8-10 minutes a game to just come in and provide some shooting. I truly hope he is coming back this year. I think this is a top 8 team by March. It will tough for anyone to stop Duke, but it only takes 1 game.

Peace

Richard (CW)
    Don't sleep on Arizona. If they are healthy and everyone stays eligible I think they are right there with Duke Michigan State.

I really undervalued Duval, he really impressed me last night.

After watching MSU, I'd fear Duke and Arizona much more than them. MSU's guards aren't that great.

I don't understand what Cal is doing with the PG situation. Shai clearly better on defense but makes awful decisions. I cannot grasp why he was the pg on the offensive end when we had 30 seconds and needed a bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick54 View Post
    I don't understand what Cal is doing with the PG situation.
    I think Cal is using the early games to figure out what he has, who can do what, and how will guys react in stress. Clearly, the players are learning that big boy basketball doesn't resemble AAU. January team will look much different and March even better. The good thing I thought is that the lights weren't too bright for most players.

Weak at the point guard spot and that is critical to Cals success. And let’s not forget the lesson that Kansas is pretty over rated. A big disparity in the quality of play from the first game to the second. Like Jay Bilas clearly stated after the game, “UK is not a title contender this year”

A hard thing to accept I know. But we have less than average guard play and can’t shoot as a team. We can upset some great teams on a good day however
    Last edited by kingcat; 11-15-2017 at 11:56 AM.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." — Jack Handey ,

Super Kitten

I thought the game showed reason to be hopeful this season. Put yourself in their shoes. This team is like taking boot camp trainees and putting them on the front line. Relax; these players need more encouragement and less criticism. The difference between the first and second halves showed they are making progress. I'm a believer...be one too. I’m a believer, how about you?

With UNC and Duke and officiating... I'm checking out until we have a team that can seriously win a title... Hope thats next year but the NCAA has killed my fandom to the point I'm just depressed all the time. I love UK but my mental health is more important so this is probably the last time I post for a very long time. see ya around guys.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    Agreed Doc. Kids played their butts off.
    They absolutely did. I was frankly surprised
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by uk-4-the-win View Post
    With UNC and Duke and officiating... I'm checking out until we have a team that can seriously win a title... Hope thats next year but the NCAA has killed my fandom to the point I'm just depressed all the time. I love UK but my mental health is more important so this is probably the last time I post for a very long time. see ya around guys.
    I really hate to hear this. If there is anything we can do or should do differently please say so.
    Real Fan since 1958

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

3) We can't win against a quality opponent if both Nick and PJ play poorly

4) SKJ is a lot better than most think, and that a few more minutes a game last year might have really improved his game.

5) Our point guard play is suspect and needs to improve

7) This team isn't as bad as some believe. We have a ways to go but the foundation is there
    Regarding #3 and some of the other general points, I think P.J. Washington by the end of the year will be a beast if he can improve on his decision-making and hone his skills. He looked really shaky at times vs. Kansas but I think if he faces them again in the tournament he'll look a lot better.

Regarding #4, I still believe that something (whether disciplinary or academic or something else) was going on last year that kept SKJ out of the lineup. I had my suspicions during the spring semester when Cal would give Tai some time but not SKJ, and then it seemed to be confirmed late in the season when Brad was put into a late-game blowout with a bunch of other guards ahead of him.

There's just no other explanation IMO that SKJ played double-digit minutes early on (and practice reports at the time suggested he was on of the team's better players) then to see him not log a minute after January.
    Receive updates on my UK website on Twitter at https://twitter.com/bigbluehistory

I was proud of their effort

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." — Jack Handey ,

I didn't watch the entire game on TV (gamecasted most of it) so it's hard for me to comment on effort of the team.

I saw little things that can be corrected that would have changed the game at different points. What I saw was lack of effort in rebounding and 50/50 balls. Out of position on perimeter defense which led to wide open looks.

I'm very interested to see how this team improves. I think this team is completely different when JB and JV return. Will be painful watching them grow, but the end product could be fun to watch. Let's hope we get there and can get trough the regular season without too many losses.

Another thing to consider -- this is usually a good FT shooting team, based on early returns, and they shot 66% last night (12-18). Drop in a few more of those up to the regular percentage, and it's a different game at the end.

I think it was nerves last night.

Jones was 0-3 so the rest 12-15 which is great!

It is true with the cheating and directing of players it's really hard to watch and enjoy the games knowing UK has to play like Superman to win games against the top teams. The playing field so to speak is not level, if it was UK would have 12-15 championships.

I hope you can use it as a means of enjoyment and pleasure. For me, I took a step back a few years ago when my kids' activities overwhelmed me, and I just decided I would make UK a nice enjoyment. I know it seems like "more" than that for me, and I am sure at times, it is. But I have reconciled myself (and hope I am wrong) that this year will be a "good" year, but as you said, next year might be the title contending year. As such, I'm just going to enjoy watching them play and develop. I won't be fixated into wins and losses as much.

Easier said than done, and I'm probably not helping a bit. Take care of yourself # 1. I hope we can all help provide a good distraction for you, with UK sports, but what is important is yourself, and you shouldn't have to apologize for that. I won't for me, either.

As Mick said, if we can help, let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Weak at the point guard spot and that is critical to Cals success. And let’s not forget the lesson that Kansas is pretty over rated. A big disparity in the quality of play from the first game to the second. Like Jay Bilas clearly stated after the game, “UK is not a title contender this year”

A hard thing to accept I know. But we have less than average guard play and can’t shoot as a team. We can upset some great teams on a good day however
    Nothing personal, king, but I don't accept your premise based on pure logic...

Dude, we are only THREE games into the season, we don't have Vanderbilt or Baker yet, and this is the youngest Cal UK team ever, which makes them DAMN close to the youngest team of ANY kind ever, lol...

and with ALL you have seen outta Cal's teams, some looking weak early, yet making the F4 or close to it...

the reason we ARE a title contender is because we are amongst a LOT of teams who simply are that...

and I know you know this, but the Tournament is too wild, too unpredictable, to imagine a team with UK's talent, depth, coaching, and insane fan support, is ALREADY something to shrug off.

Sorry, my man... it's WAY too early... can't you wait to see how much these kids and the team as a whole can develop?

Even mighty Duke, and I agree they are very good from my limited viewing, could have an injury, a locker room issue, K could have back spasms, lol, yadig?

So keep the faith. It's Kentucky for cryin' out loud... we ALWAYS have a chance at a title...

and we have the numbers to back up that confidence IMO.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Oh I know they can surprise us and everyone else. but I dont see the individual talent level anywhere near any of Cals other UK teams.. Knox could become a lottery pick given time however.

There is a reason Bilas said after the game we were not a title contender, and I don't believe it was bias. A FF with this team would be Cals greatest achievement imho

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    It is true with the cheating and directing of players it's really hard to watch and enjoy the games knowing UK has to play like Superman to win games against the top teams. The playing field so to speak is not level, if it was UK would have 12-15 championships.

I can completely understand feeling this way. Last spring’s handcuffing of UK by the refs against UNC and this fall’s laughable response for years of obvious cheating in the classroom have about done it for me as well. UNC and DUKE are the holier than thou hypocrites that get away with EVERYTHING they attempt. No classes, no problem, eligibility concerns, no problem. Anointed by ESPN/talking heads aka JAY BIAS as the best team in the best conference NCAA favorite, no problem. Greasing the skids on your draw or stacking the ref deck no problem. Making UK bend over and like it, no problem. Sick of the obvious bias, crookedness, and corruption from the NCAA and is “associates”!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Oh I know they can surprise us and everyone else. but I dont see the individual talent level anywhere near any of Cals other UK teams.. Knox could become a lottery pick given time however.

There is a reason Bilas said after the game we were not a title contender, and I don't believe it was bias. A FF with this team would be Cals greatest achievement imho
    First off, Cal has had one team exit in the Sweet 16 and one not even make the Dance. These kids are, AT LEAST, that talented... or could be close enough to be good enough to NOT warrant a description like not "anywhere near any of Cals other UK teams".

Secondly, the reason Bilas made that ludicrous statement is that he is in a business that gets ratings, chatter, etc. from any and all prognostication no matter how absurd it's parameters are. Long story short, Bilas doesn't have a CLUE if these kids can contend because NOBODY knows that... YET... again, I repeat, be it to you, Bilas, or a dead tree in a forest, lol... we are THREE games into the season and we are "good enough" to not let our season be shut down by false assumptions with precious little info.

Again, JMO.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"