Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    We are basically two plays away from being 9-1 and in the conversation in the SEC.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

  2. #2

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    Sounds like someone deserves an extension if you ask me...lol
    Go Cats!

  3. #3

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    If we were 9-1 we would be playing for the east division title this Saturday but we’re not. We have the players to compete, now we just need the coaching to catch up.
    Don't panic

  4. #4

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    We're a few bad calls and a couple of missed/made shots here and there from having about 3 or 4 more national titles too.

  5. #5

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    If we were 9-1 we would be playing for the east division title this Saturday but we’re not. We have the players to compete, now we just need the coaching to catch up.
    The coaching is fine. Not perfect, but fine. Nick Saban of Alabama wasn't always Nick Saban of Alabama. Ever check out his record at Michigan State?

    We've beat teams this season with more talent than we have. We need MORE talent. We're getting there. Rome wasn't built in a day, and it's going to take longer than 5 years to make a historical terrible program like UK compete at the highest levels.

  6. #6

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    We're a few bad calls and a couple of missed/made shots here and there from having about 3 or 4 more national titles too.
    Good point...and honestly we could probably blame a few coaching mistakes from cal for that.
    Go Cats!

  7. #7

    Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    Good point...and honestly we could probably blame a few coaching mistakes from cal for that.
    A couple of missed timeouts away from some big wins...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

  8. #8

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    Good point...and honestly we could probably blame a few coaching mistakes from cal for that.
    Exactly.

    Coaches make mistakes, I'm not sure why so many want to give Stoops such a short lease.

  9. #9
    Fiddlin' Five
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Moore Haven, FL
    Posts
    6,210

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    Sorry Stu, but Julius Caesar is NOT walking through that door........

  10. #10
    Super Kitten
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Russell Springs, KY
    Posts
    1,422

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    As Jerry Claiborne and others have said "If if and buts were candy and nuts, what a Merry Christmas we would have."

  11. #11

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    Other side of that coin is we could just as easily be 1 and 9. Believe this is right, all games except for Miss St and Vandy have been decided by 7 points are less. In la s t 2 seasons we,re 8 and 3 in such games. Be thankful we,re 7 and 3, better chance that the record could have been worse than better

  12. #12
    Comeback Cat Hoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Kentuckiana
    Posts
    4,096

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    If I were 6'9 and had a 40 inch vertical, I would have played for UK in the early 90's.

  13. #13

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    Thanks for the chuckle Hoss. I think something many have lost sight of is that Georgia is 9-1 with basically the same schedule we've played with the exception of Notre Dame (who got exposed at Miami) and getting Auburn from the west instead of Ole Miss. Sure, they did a lot better against our common opponents but I think we'll be competitive with them. Maybe not to the point of actually beating them but they're sure overlooking us.
    Don't panic

  14. #14
    Comeback Cat Hoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Kentuckiana
    Posts
    4,096

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Thanks for the chuckle Hoss. I think something many have lost sight of is that Georgia is 9-1 with basically the same schedule we've played with the exception of Notre Dame (who got exposed at Miami) and getting Auburn from the west instead of Ole Miss. Sure, they did a lot better against our common opponents but I think we'll be competitive with them. Maybe not to the point of actually beating them but they're sure overlooking us.
    I'm just screwing around...we've definitely improved this year.

  15. #15

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    I'm just screwing around...we've definitely improved this year.
    This reminds me of something else that's been bugging me....how the heck can a team be favored over another by 2 1/2 points one year and by 21 1/2 the next when both seem to be improved? Georgia might be a little more improved than UK but if UK were coming in at 9-1 also (which we should be), no way would the spread be 19 points higher. Even if you figure 3 points each way for home field advantage, you only get to 9 points. And maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but there's no way I see 10 additional points of divergence between the two teams. I think if we play up to our capabilities and don't make any bone-headed coaching mistakes this one is a lot closer than most think it will be.
    Don't panic

  16. #16

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    This reminds me of something else that's been bugging me....how the heck can a team be favored over another by 2 1/2 points one year and by 21 1/2 the next when both seem to be improved? Georgia might be a little more improved than UK but if UK were coming in at 9-1 also (which we should be), no way would the spread be 19 points higher. Even if you figure 3 points each way for home field advantage, you only get to 9 points. And maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but there's no way I see 10 additional points of divergence between the two teams. I think if we play up to our capabilities and don't make any bone-headed coaching mistakes this one is a lot closer than most think it will be.
    We should have up to 4 more titles under Cal, but it's the football program that you to fret about.

  17. #17

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    Correct word is could not should.in possibility of winning more football games or winning basketball titles. When the word should is used, you completely take away the perspective from the opposing team. During my 60 some years as a UK basketball fan I could probably find 10 years we COULD have won the title but I,m quite sure opposing fans could find plays in each game that they could have executed better

  18. #18

    Re: Oh! What Could Have Been (9-1)

    Stu: I care about the basketball program. I think there are forces in play there that are largely out of Cal's control though although I think we usually get a fair shake in conference play. Why do you think I'm not a basketball fan if you don't mind me asking? And which years do you think we should have won the championship in basketball but didn't due to poor coaching? I'll hang up a listen to your answer lol.

    BTW...I don't post much about basketball because I really don't know the nuts and bolts; just what I see in the stats. I would never in a million years bet on a basketball game. There's just way too much influence wielded by three officials. The UK championships that I've witnessed were all won by vastly superior teams with the exception of Tubby's title that was won while he mostly sat and watched like everyone else. To me, basketball is all about recruiting and practice and chemistry, much more so than football and therefore once the ball is tossed up the coaches have much less influence over what transpires than football coaches do.
    Last edited by Catfan73; 11-15-2017 at 04:26 PM.
    Don't panic

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •