Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Any guitarists in here? Aspiring or otherwise.

I’ve owned a Martin since 2011 when my then girlfriend and current wife bought me one for a gift. Have never had time for lessons considering my job. Was able to get it autographed by Alabama’s own Jamey Johnson who is an amazing writer and performer.

Recently I took the plunge and purchased The Chordbuddy learning system. I was skeptical about it but now I consider it to be an amazing little tool for learning. I was playing two songs within two hours and just a little over a month in, can play well over 20 songs from different genres. I’ve found the experience of being able to play a few of my favorite songs to be exhilarating. Technically I’m still not doing chords on my own but I hope to eventually. If not, I can still enjoy my guitar with training wheels.

How many pickers do we have here?

Re: Any guitarists in here? Aspiring or otherwise.

I just recently pucked up a Fender telecaster. I REALLY like the feel and sound of it. All my other 6 strings are acoustics so the plunge was an experiment to see how much easier the 'lectric was. Big difference and I enjoy playing it. Im a huge guitar pro fan. I have version 5 and never hpgraded because that version is the best. Still, its by far the best guitar learning or playing aid out there
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I just recently pucked up a Fender telecaster. I REALLY like the feel and sound of it. All my other 6 strings are acoustics so the plunge was an experiment to see how much easier the 'lectric was. Big difference and I enjoy playing it. Im a huge guitar pro fan. I have version 5 and never hpgraded because that version is the best. Still, its by far the best guitar learning or playing aid out there
    I’m really digging The Chordbuddy. Had me playing Tom Dooley in about 15 minutes. Plus the guy that invented it, Travis Perry, is a success story I can really support.

I use the ultimateguitar.com app to find tabs for songs I can play. All tabs are user submitted but it’s a really good app. For tuning I use guitar tuna app that my friend recommended. He says it’s better than any tuner he’s ever owned.

Favorite song I’ve learned so far is “Whisky In The Jar” by Metallica

Been a player for 55 years. Learned from my Dad who was also a professional guitarist.
    I dont play out much the last three years or so.

I play a Strat that I installed a mid range boost system in with active electronics and some other custom upgrades. Eric Claptons set up which allows me to go from Fender chime to full blown himbucker tones. (I once play nothing but Les Pauls, owning a Black Beauty fretless wonder, which does have frets by the way..back in the seventies. And then a Gold top deluxe in the late eighties. Always had a second guitar of some sort and my trusty 77 Takamine acoustic. Amps have varied through the years. Everything from Traynor stacks, marshal stacks, to Paul Rivera's amps, and even full blown digital/tube processors when not many were using them.
    now I have my Strat, a TC electronics Flashback delay and a couple of other pedals which run through my Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace combo. Tubes are the key to the greatest tones by the way.

Played every rock style of guitar (up to the Metallica stuff and beyond) which never appealed to playing, and played country also for many years. Ive played a lot of blues stuff too and find that's sort of where my heart is when I have the freedom to incorporate other styles into my playing.

Working on an original project currently which is somewhat guitar oriented. Ill link some of it when the CD is finished.

I am moving pretty slowly on it as befits my age and energy level

Heres the tone I love and the amp I own as presented by Mr Andy Timmons. A great player.

Last edited by kingcat; 11-15-2017 at 12:54 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Been a player for 55 years. Learned from my Dad who was also a professional guitarist.
    I dont play out much the last three years or so.

I play a Strat that I installed a mid range boost system in with active electronics and some other custom upgrades. Eric Claptons set up which allows me to go from Fender chime to full blown himbucker tones. (I once play nothing but Les Pauls, owning a Black Beauty fretless wonder, which does have frets by the way..back in the seventies. And then a Gold top deluxe in the late eighties. Always had a second guitar of some sort and my trusty 77 Takamine acoustic. Amps have varied through the years. Everything from Traynor stacks, marshal stacks, to Paul Rivera's amps, and even full blown digital/tube processors when not many were using them.
    now I have my Strat, a TC electronics Flashback delay and a couple of other pedals which run through my Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace combo. Tubes are the key to the greatest tones by the way.

Played every rock style of guitar (up to the Metallica stuff and beyond) which never appealed to playing, and played country also for many years. Ive played a lot of blues stuff too and find that's sort of where my heart is when I have the freedom to incorporate other styles into my playing.

Working on an original project currently which is somewhat guitar oriented. Ill link some of it when the CD is finished.

I am moving pretty slowly on it as befits my age and energy level

Heres the tone I love and the amp I own as presented by Mr Andy Timmons. A great player.

That guy is amazing! Almost makes me feel guilty that I’m cheating by using the Chordbuddy! But then I realize I’m not in any competition and I’m only doing because I love music and just wanna be able to play a few songs on my front porch and around the campfire with friends.

Here is a couple of pics of my guitar. One is me and my wife right after I got it autographed by Jamey Johnson and the other is a closeup of the autograph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s a video of me playing Wagon Wheel. It’s VERY rough but keep in mind this was only two hours into learning with the Chordbuddy and vocals were rough due to a cold I can’t seem to kick. I’ve gotten a LOT better since then.

https://youtu.be/fYcvyo2N0IU

Amazing that after only two hours of learning you can get to your chords so quickly. Good voice quality too. (and a lovely wife to boot)

A love for music is the only lasting incentive to learn...and the learning never stops.
    A love for the song is the only lasting impression you can make on the listener..and that love never fades.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Doc, I love Tele's. Had a sunburst custom many, many years ago.

I suppose you like a little Brad Paisley pickin' on the B-bender Tele too?

Great looking couple, great looking guitar, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching and listening to you play and sing. Thanks for this great thread and the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Great looking couple, great looking guitar, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching and listening to you play and sing. Thanks for this great thread and the video.
    Thanks for the compliments. I’m gonna try to post some more videos when I get a chance to record.

Amazing that after only two hours of learning you can get to your chords so quickly. Good voice quality too. (and a lovely wife to boot)

A love for music is the only lasting incentive to learn...and the learning never stops.
    A love for the song is the only lasting impression you can make on the listener..and that love never fades.
    Having the tool which allows me to push one button to make a chord makes that part easy. The part I’m proud of is that I’ve picked up learning the rhythms so well.

And you are so right about the love for music!

Here’s a few more videos of songs I’ve picked up. They are a little rough IMO but I’m enjoying playing them.

https://youtu.be/NzpR1mFyjxo

https://youtu.be/hWk2qB9rFZ4

https://youtu.be/eeJ2P1MUCHw

https://youtu.be/keqVEqcE8tc

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Shaniqua!!

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I've just started with bar chords so it's something new all the time. My musical journey is unique because according to almost everybody I dont learn in the traditional way. Part of that is my logical brain pattern where I have to understand the why's of it all.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Shaniqua!!

Sweet!

I have a version of a song we have written and recorded which is not mastered (volume is a little low nd dynamics are lacking at this point in the recording) It is on SoundCloud via facebook. I do all the guitar work, vocals, and the drums, while my co writer Alan Bryan does keys, synths, and backup vocals. Chuck Waters from Lebanon Jct. on bass.
    And yes the pictures are antique
    I was especially happy with the chorus lead guitar track

A rough cut not ready for CD yet.

There are a few seconds of silence at the beginning for mastering purposes.

https://soundcloud.com/david-clark-9...edium=facebook
    Last edited by kingcat; 03-25-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Rupp's Runt

Not a musical bone in this body. I hope my girls have some interest in them. What age is a good age to start playing a guitar?

I have a version of a song we have written and recorded which is not mastered (volume is a little low nd dynamics are lacking at this point in the recording) It is on SoundCloud via facebook. I do all the guitar work, vocals, and the drums, while my co writer Alan Bryan does keys, synths, and backup vocals. Chuck Waters from Lebanon Jct. on bass.
    And yes the pictures are antique
    I was especially happy with the chorus lead guitar track

A rough cut not ready for CD yet.

There are a few seconds of silence at the beginning for mastering purposes.

https://soundcloud.com/david-clark-9...edium=facebook
    Wow! That was really good.

Here are my latest uploads.

https://youtu.be/YaSxTD43ld4

https://youtu.be/C-BiMCywHUE

https://youtu.be/HNxeVBIzcJY

Hope you enjoy. Give em a thumbs up on YouTube if ya can.

Here’s a few more I’ve recorded myself playing. Let me know what you think. Imma big boy. I can handle the criticism.

https://youtu.be/gDP1zB8FkAY

https://youtu.be/i6oUF4GaP1c

https://youtu.be/czEMq-8gvbE

https://youtu.be/Ubs9dunWoi8

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Not a musical bone in this body. I hope my girls have some interest in them. What age is a good age to start playing a guitar?
    It’s never too early. Biggest reason people quit trying to learn is the lack of instant gratification. That’s why I love the Chordbuddy system. It allows you to make a chord by pushing one button while learning rythyms and strumming technique. I was literally playing song in the first few minutes of trying it.

Bumping this thread back up. Graduated from The Chordbuddy. Haven’t used it in over a year and actually have it away to give someone else a chance to learn with it.

Doing all chords I can on my own now. Enjoy the hell out of it. Love using a capo to change pitch on some songs when needed. Recently sat on a friends front porch and played songs for 3 hours straight. This has definitely become my most rewarding hobby ever.

With my short and fat fingers, I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to do barre chords but regardless it’s very fun to play.
    Last edited by TRUCKERCATFAN; 12-31-2019 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKERCATFAN View Post
    Bumping this thread back up. Graduated from The Chordbuddy. Haven’t used it in over a year and actually have it away to give someone else a chance to learn with it.

Doing all chords I can on my own now. Enjoy the hell out of it. Love using a capo to change pitch on some songs when needed. Recently sat on a friends front porch and played songs for 3 hours straight. This has definitely become my most rewarding hobby ever.

With my short and fat fingers, I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to do barre chords but regardless it’s very fun to play.
    Learn a grip bar chord. (My name for it) There are as many variations of things you can do with it as with a regular bar chord. I use it all the time because it enables you to add lead runs and return more quickly.

Instead of making a full bar across the strings with your index finger, only press the two bottom strings down. Use your thumb on the top (Low) string to complete the grip bar. make your three notes (like an open E chord) with the remaining fingers like this....place your ring finger on the A string..and pinky just below, with your middle finger on the G string. This all takes place using three frets with the thumb and index finger taking the place of the nut the strings ride on on your guitar just like open notes. The bar part only indicates you have replaced the bar your nut supplies in open string chords and now can traverse the neck making every major chord on the guitar with one technique.
    (Note) make sure the ring finger and pinky if you are making a full chord are in the highest of the three frets. your middle finger in the middle of the three frets, and thumb and pointing finger on the lowest fret (Lowest meaning closest to the tuners in this instance)

And then you learn to play "Walk Away" in the key of A like Joe Walsh did here..

Joe is however making a partial grip bar however, leaving his little finger free. We do that to grab a lead note here or there...or just to make the hand more comfortable.

He is using his thumb not only to note the top string, but is using the end of his thumb to mute the A (or fifth) string. Note this, when making a full chord grip bar, the ring finger is on the A string or fifth (from the bottom up), pinky finger on the D string or fourth , middle finger on the G string or 3rd and index pressing the bottom two.."little strings"
    Joe, to leave his pinky free is only playing the top string or sixth with his thumb....muting the A string or fifth, ring finger on the D string (fourth) middle finger on the G, or third, and index finger on the two little strings simultaneously

If you watch Pete Townsend play Pinball wizard here he uses the grip bar. Notice at the 1:12 mark in this video how he uses the free pinky (p artial grip bar)style to alter the third string note up and down a single note while fast strumming the rhythm.

That technique is common in many classic rock guitar sounds both acoustic and electric.
    Here's a little something extra..making the partial grip bar. Lift your middle finger off the third string. Now slide your index finger up too press all three small strings and you have the minor grip bar. Now you are ready to play the start to Stairway To Heaven....at least the first couple of notes. But I assure you they are all right there close by.

Joe, Pete, and many others use this technique more than the traditional bar chord. For metal and the like that other full bar is a must. Both are equally important. Eventually the minor, seventh bars etc.. will be too. But the same principles apply there too.
    There is usually a more comfortable way depending on your finger size, ability and needs.

None feel right at first however
    Last edited by kingcat; 01-01-2020 at 05:00 PM.

That is the first song I remember hearing Walsh play and it was with James Gang. They were a lead up group on the water stage at Old Hickory lake in about 1975 or so. Still love that song. They were so good, I forget who the main attraction was on that ticket. We were sitting in my boat about 50 feet from the stage. You could see the water around the boat dancing from the power of the sound waves.

Sorry, that has nothing to do with guitars other than the fact that you mentioned a great player in Joe W.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I was a big fan of the James Gang. Also of Alvin Lee and Ten Years After

Of course I was partial to great guitar work.

Speaking of...listen to this guitar work from the sixties. Fast, smooth, recognizable, and way ahead of its time. Probably the 2nd best rock solo of all the sixties players and that is saying a lot. Hendrix All Along the Watchtower still reigns supreme.