Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What does it mean to “not accept 7 wins and a bowl”?

Does it mean Stoops should be fired? And to the contrary if you think he should not be fired does that mean you accept mediocrity?

Do you think stoops should be fired like Butch Jones?
    Real fan since 1964...

Re: What does it mean to “not accept 7 wins and a bowl”?

I think the players and coaches need to take the attitude not to accept a 7 win season and a bowl game. Strive to accomplish more.

Oh how times have changed. A few years ago when Joker was in charge 7 wins and a bowl game would have been cause for celebration. Now, on the eve of our 2nd bowl game in several years, we want more.

I agree that we want improvement in our program. But this is Kentucky, where football coaches come to end their careers. We are on the right track. Let’s give things a bit more time and maybe in a couple of more years we can complain about only winning 9 games each year.

This isn't about accepting or not accepting 7 wins and a bowl this particular year.

This is about whether this is "it" for the program or not. Whether we all go around thrilled we got here or whether we do see it as a step in the right direction.

By giving automatic extensions at 7 wins the message is sent that this is "it", at least to a lot of fans. If we do better great, but if we do this we're still just fine.

That's what sits wrong with fans, that and missed opportunities. The fans are deeply thirsty for a year where we don't miss those opporutnities, where we get those extra 2-3 plays that take a good year and make it great.

That doesn't mean they expect great every year, but it does mean they want the cycle of "same ol' Kentucky' broken in regards to coming close but not quite. Stoops has won some big games close so IMO we are in the process of breaking that cycle, but losing to UF like we did erased a lot of that feeling among the fans.

I said after that game that the effects would ripple through the fanbase for a while and really sour their mood, and it did.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

I think we are teetering I’m becoming a program that can win 7 on bad years and 9 in a good year and compete for sec east titles but if we reward 7 wins I’m afraid we will see the former. I think butch won 7 a few years and got complacent and teetered back to losing, and honestly I could see us relax after winning 7 this year and feeling like we made it then showing up next year with a tougher schedule and no sj and being surprised by a 5 win season. I think stoops wants to win big and I think he’s the guy we have to ride to that end but I’m not sure what happens if we don’t get over the hump and have a bad year...he sure won’t get fired like jones did because our expectation isn’t as high as tn. He would have another 2-3 years to figure it out and hey I trust he would get us back to 7 wins and be a cyclical winner, but just not so sure our expectations are for more than that as our contract is written to reward someone that can get us there every few years. Honestly I think from a financial standpoint and based on our history the ppl in charge probably feel that is all we need to do, and they may be right. I personally just wanted that 7 win and bowl bid shot every year when we were bad, and now I’m hoping for more. I would put my satisfaction with football at about a 7 out of 10, they have at least created hope and interest and basketball has started full swing. Compete w ga and beat Louisville and were riding higher than we have in years and prob glad we payed stoops. Lose out and lose the bowl game and we’re talking about how bad stoops is and how he lost those games single handedly.
    Go Cats!

Freshman

Mediocrity over .500 is better than mediocrity at or below .500, which is the history of UK football.

Guys I'm pretty happy being 7-3. Yes we could be 9-1 but I think this is part of it. Our recruiting has been awesome by our standards and we are now competitive in the SEC. that's what I've always wanted and now we have it. Moving forward we have to hope CMS learns from past mistakes so we can not shoot ourselves in the foot and win games against more historical programs that we should win.

Quote Originally Posted by KMSBball View Post
    Oh how times have changed. A few years ago when Joker was in charge 7 wins and a bowl game would have been cause for celebration. Now, on the eve of our 2nd bowl game in several years, we want more.

I agree that we want improvement in our program. But this is Kentucky, where football coaches come to end their careers. We are on the right track. Let’s give things a bit more time and maybe in a couple of more years we can complain about only winning 9 games each year.
    This. And that exact statement was said rampantly on this website. UK fans are not patient at all.

A few statements from above caught my ear

"This is Kentucky football"
    "That doesn't mean they (fans) expect great every year"
    "Because our expectation isn't as high as TN"
    "UK fans are not patient at all"

(The entire quotes are above, quoting the entire post would be redundant)

This is the mentality that make me scratch my head. There in nothing unique about UK that makes it what it is. It does not need to be mediocre. This isn't what UK has to be. Claiming that this is what it is is accepting less than it should be.
    We should expect great every year but accept less on occasion, not the other way around. Thats the set up now...except haven't had anything close to great in well over a decade. Be mediocre and hope for a great year here and there is backassward
    Why are our expectations lower than TNs? We can only blame ourselves for that. We expect less so we accept less and achieve less. Thats should have been our motto for the last 40 years
    As for UK not being patient..? We've been mediocre for decades. I'll call that patient as hell. Most school who expect more would have fired Stoops for making so many boneheaded decisions that cost them games over the last few years!

Thats not meant to single out those posters but to illustrate the mentality. Probably 99.99% of the UK fan base (me included) posts exactly the same type of thing from time to time. Point is we get what we accept and we have accepted less for a very long time. So give him a contrat that rewards 55% win. Should be at 10 wins because we expect 9, not 7 because we expect 6. Thats what pisses me off. We set the bar low. Its set at 7 wins and a bowl. We accept that as a great season and we shouldn't. Coming in, 9 wins was achievable. We could, no...should have beaten FL. Give them a TD by not covering a wide out after a timeout, you got to be kidding..then give the coach a bonus. Old Miss was another winnavle game. Win those two and that is bonus worthy, and its not accepting 7 wins. Its accepting 9 wins because that is where a properly coached team should have been
    Last edited by Doc; 11-14-2017 at 11:31 AM.

I'm a unitasker living in a multitasker world

I agree doc, and my question is what does it take to make it to the top of the hill and be an annual powerhouse in the sec? Is it the admin that has to have that goal? The coaches? The players? Do you just have to have the talent and we can’t expect it? Is it a style of play that is hard for others to compete with? What would it take that we don’t have? If we replaced stoops with a top tier coach could we do it? If we had Louisville’s qb would we do it now?
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    I agree doc, and my question is what does it take to make it to the top of the hill and be an annual powerhouse in the sec? Is it the admin that has to have that goal? The coaches? The players? Do you just have to have the talent and we can’t expect it? Is it a style of play that is hard for others to compete with? What would it take that we don’t have? If we replaced stoops with a top tier coach could we do it? If we had Louisville’s qb would we do it now?
    Yes. From the top down. Hard to blame the fans when the administration slaps the coach on the back and says job well done, here is a few million when they reach the 7 win mark. The administration doesnt expect more so why should the fans? Then it trickles down

I keep seeing post where fans are accused of accepting mediocrity if they are not totally critical of our current season.

Curious what I need to do as a fan to not accept 7 wins as enough. I certainly am not happy and know we should have done better. What do I have to do to not “accept mediocrity “? Want Stoops fires? Not celebrate victories like the ones I’ve UT and Vandy?

Asking for a friend

No no no. It's been 40 years since they've sniffed an SEC title. We've been more than patient...
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    UK fans are not patient at all.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    UK fans are not patient at all.
    No offense, but this is an incredibly annoying comment. I'm not sure how much more patient you'd like us to be, but sucking since the 1950's and losing to Florida every year for 3+ decades seems pretty patient to me.

But we have all those participation trophies!
    Don't panic

What does it mean to “not accept 7 wins and a bowl”?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    A few statements from above caught my ear

"This is Kentucky football"
    "That doesn't mean they (fans) expect great every year"
    "Because our expectation isn't as high as TN"
    "UK fans are not patient at all"

(The entire quotes are above, quoting the entire post would be redundant)

This is the mentality that make me scratch my head. There in nothing unique about UK that makes it what it is. It does not need to be mediocre. This isn't what UK has to be. Claiming that this is what it is is accepting less than it should be.
    We should expect great every year but accept less on occasion, not the other way around. Thats the set up now...except haven't had anything close to great in well over a decade. Be mediocre and hope for a great year here and there is backassward
    Why are our expectations lower than TNs? We can only blame ourselves for that. We expect less so we accept less and achieve less. Thats should have been our motto for the last 40 years
    As for UK not being patient..? We've been mediocre for decades. I'll call that patient as hell. Most school who expect more would have fired Stoops for making so many boneheaded decisions that cost them games over the last few years!

Thats not meant to single out those posters but to illustrate the mentality. Probably 99.99% of the UK fan base (me included) posts exactly the same type of thing from time to time. Point is we get what we accept and we have accepted less for a very long time. So give him a contrat that rewards 55% win. Should be at 10 wins because we expect 9, not 7 because we expect 6. Thats what pisses me off. We set the bar low. Its set at 7 wins and a bowl. We accept that as a great season and we shouldn't. Coming in, 9 wins was achievable. We could, no...should have beaten FL. Give them a TD by not covering a wide out after a timeout, you got to be kidding..then give the coach a bonus. Old Miss was another winnavle game. Win those two and that is bonus worthy, and its not accepting 7 wins. Its accepting 9 wins because that is where a properly coached team should have been
    Well put and totally agreed. It is now when we can change things to get out of being mediocre. Stoops can stay or go depending on how we perform for the rest of season, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 wins is enough for me this year....yes UF and Ole Miss eats at me....

7 wins is not enough for me in two years....

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    I keep seeing post where fans are accused of accepting mediocrity if they are not totally critical of our current season.

Curious what I need to do as a fan to not accept 7 wins as enough. I certainly am not happy and know we should have done better. What do I have to do to not “accept mediocrity “? Want Stoops fires? Not celebrate victories like the ones I’ve UT and Vandy?

Asking for a friend
    If youre not happy and expect more then you are not one of thise fans. Pisses me off are the fans that say we should be happy. The administration agrees, or at least that is the impression when you give your coach a huge bonus because a bonus says "Job well done". Not celebrate victories? Obviously not. Call to fire Stoops? Not yet IMO. Bitch about a ridiculous bonus? Yes. Tell fans who say you should be happy with a bowl to #### off? Absolutely

I love football and i agree 7 wins is good enough for now but as we continue to build the program the expectations must increase.

I guess a good way to Gage this is by asking the question, what do we expect in the win column next year? If the answer is...well it’s a tougher schedule and well we lose sj then does that mean we’re settling and not making progress or is it reality. What would a team like miss st say? Also who do we see ourselves becoming? It’s not Alabama or Georgia but who?
    Go Cats!

I think 7 wins and a bowl is kind of arbitrary. Some years that might be a pretty decent season but other years like this one with our schedule it could have been so much more. Next year who knows, we might be lucky to get back to a bowl game and 7 wins might look a lot better. I don’t think it’s anywhere near cause for celebration THIS year however.

We still have a couple of more chances to atone somewhat for a couple of our losses. Finish out 9-3 and I’ll be celebrating. But I’ll always be thinking what if also.
    Don't panic

What if we win one of our last 2 games. Is 8 wins plus a bowl enough for this point in Stoops tenure?

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I think 7 wins and a bowl is kind of arbitrary. Some years that might be a pretty decent season but other years like this one with our schedule it could have been so much more. Next year who knows, we might be lucky to get back to a bowl game and 7 wins might look a lot better. I don’t think it’s anywhere near cause for celebration THIS year however.

We still have a couple of more chances to atone somewhat for a couple of our losses. Finish out 9-3 and I’ll be celebrating. But I’ll always be thinking what if also.
    Agree with this. I’m still what ifing about 2007 when we blew 2 big games.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post

There's nothing wrong with thinking "what-if". We've done it in basketball for years. However, I feel like too many people are using those instances to cloud their ability to assess the rebuild and where we actually are today.

Some mistakes aside, this program is in a better state than it was last year, years before and what Stoops inherited. As long as progress continues to be made, I just have to ask why does anybody care about the contract situation?

It certainly seems to me to be that this perception that people are content with 7 wins look through this in a very gloom and doom lense. For people to make any kind of assertion that players, coaches and administration don't want to win every game in which they play is just silly.

When the trend of progress starts to go the wrong way, let's reevaluate the contract situation. Until then, it's just reasonable to say that these extension kick-ins are getting us a coach in later years that's an absolute bargain at going rates. If that turns out to be the case, then we're going to be fretting about losing our coach.

This whole debate does have a certain "well, this is Ky football" feel to it, but it's driven by a fear that the goal will only be set to win 7 games. I've never seen a coach that doesn't want to win every game, and there's nothing to suggest by Stoops personality that he's that guy.

What if we win one of our last 2 games. Is 8 wins plus a bowl enough for this point in Stoops tenure?
    We should be at the point we expect to win 1 of the 2. Expecting to beat GA at GA is a tall order but we should expect to beat UL. Its a home game and with few exceptions we should expect to win every home game

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    We should be at the point we expect to win 1 of the 2. Expecting to beat GA at GA is a tall order but we should expect to beat UL. Its a home game and with few exceptions we should expect to win every home game
    Yes, we SHOULD expect to beat UL at home and win every game within reason, but I don't think the program is at a place yet that if we lose them, especially in a very close game that is decided by who has the ball last, that implies at all that the program isn't moving in the right direction, as some people tend to want to do(not pointing the finger at you, just picking up on your point). The fact that we're not there yet, shouldn't be a concern, I mean have we digressed from the goals of the program(do we really know what those are, besides win every game?) that we need this daily reevaluation?

Now, I do feel that the in-game things holding us back in some ways(that either leads to losses or puts the team in more difficult places to win) is the recognition that a problem does exist. The coaching staff gets too defensive for my taste that portends to those problems not being taken seriously to actually fix, but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that in a different setting(offseason?) that they'll take a deeper look at it.

Super Kitten

For the hundred darn time the complaint is about Stoops getting a year extension that will be paying him 5 freaking million in 2022 everytime he manages 7 wins. CBNN has explained this in detail how it is stupid for UK to set the bar that low for a automatic extension. It is not about wins this year or any year. IT IS ABOUT THE AUTOMATIC EXTENSION.

Rupp's Runt

Asking for a friend
    The poster boy for mediocrity!
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by LakeCat View Post
    For the hundred darn time the complaint is about Stoops getting a year extension that will be paying him 5 freaking million in 2022 everytime he manages 7 wins. CBNN has explained this in detail how it is stupid for UK to set the bar that low for a automatic extension. It is not about wins this year or any year. IT IS ABOUT THE AUTOMATIC EXTENSION.
    For you maybe. Not others

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    The poster boy for mediocrity!
    I’m a solid B student!