Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

NCAA Basketball Officiating "Points of Emphasis" 2017-18 (VIDEO HERE)

Blog Entries

Re: NCAA Basketball Officiating "Points of Emphasis" 2017-18 (VIDEO HERE)

Without looking, I'm going to guess 2 of the points of emphasis are cleaning up inside play and using hand-checking to impede dribblers. Those seem more or less evergreen (as do refs going away from it by February).
    All I did was stand up to a long laundry list of people who passed away today who couldn't stand up because what was done was wrong.--RP, 8/26/09

This will help, until late Feb... then it will be forgotten and teams will have no idea how to play in the NCAAT

I'm a unitasker living in a multitasker world

What I wish they would address, which they sort of do in the offensive initiated contact portion, is when an offensive player fakes a perimeter shot and the defender jumps then the offensive player jumps into the defender. The defender has as much right to the space as the offensive player and its the offensive player initiating the contact yet it is always called on the defender. I will say they have improved on the "leg kicks" by perimeter shooters but still see plenty of times the defender runs by and the shooter sticks the leg out and falls down to get the call.

Note to self...coaches box is clearly and COMPLETELY outside the box. Not one foot out and one in but completely.

All fouls should be accidental by the offense and defense and not a matter of drawing a foul. In the event of a verticality question they should go to the monitor and decide if the offensive player initiated the contact by any means which would then constitute a flagrant foul..

..unless the player slaps the floor in advance of the play
    Last edited by kingcat; 11-08-2017 at 03:25 PM.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." Jack Handey ,

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    All fouls should be accidental by the offense and defense and not a matter of drawing a foul. I the event of verticality question they should go to the monitor and decide if the offensive player initiated the contact by any means which would then constitute a flagrant foul..

..unless the player slaps the floor in advance of the play
    Compromise: An amiable arrangement between husband and wife whereby they agree to let her have her own way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    What I wish they would address, which they sort of do in the offensive initiated contact portion, is when an offensive player fakes a perimeter shot and the defender jumps then the offensive player jumps into the defender. The defender has as much right to the space as the offensive player and its the offensive player initiating the contact yet it is always called on the defender. I will say they have improved on the "leg kicks" by perimeter shooters but still see plenty of times the defender runs by and the shooter sticks the leg out and falls down to get the call.
    One of my pet peeves. Everybody talks about the principle of verticality, but it never seems to apply in that situation. It's almost as if the ref is punishing the defender for leaving his feet, even if he's not the one creating the contact.
    All I did was stand up to a long laundry list of people who passed away today who couldn't stand up because what was done was wrong.--RP, 8/26/09

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    This will help, until late Feb... then it will be forgotten and teams will have no idea how to play in the NCAAT
    Won't make it past NOvember for most games.

When will they post the real points of emphasis?

1) Making sure UNC and DUke get as many breaks as possible
    2) Punish Cal and anyone else who gets all uppity about point #1
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Unless the point of emphasis is removing Higgins from the list of officials, can't say it will have much impact.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    Unless the point of emphasis is removing Higgins from the list of officials, can't say it will have much impact.
    That's the stupidity of this annual dance. The NCAA committee on the games and officials comes out with these things, but they have no actual authority over the officials or the conferences except for the NCAA tourney, where they themselves continue to promote and advance officials who absolutely blatantly disregard their points of emphasis.

Higgins' actions in the UNC game were blatant, yet they keep on using him.

But the biggest joke of all is thinking that a bunch of guys who apparently have more job security and less job performance leverage than postal workers are going to give a dang about this stuff. They start doing it, the coaches complain, the leagues buckle, and the officials do what they want.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    That's the stupidity of this annual dance. The NCAA committee on the games and officials comes out with these things, but they have no actual authority over the officials or the conferences except for the NCAA tourney, where they themselves continue to promote and advance officials who absolutely blatantly disregard their points of emphasis.

Higgins' actions in the UNC game were blatant, yet they keep on using him.

But the biggest joke of all is thinking that a bunch of guys who apparently have more job security and less job performance leverage than postal workers are going to give a dang about this stuff. They start doing it, the coaches complain, the leagues buckle, and the officials do what they want.
    It's enough to make this fan start to lose interest.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.