Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Canon Lens

Rupp's Runt

Canon Lens

I have the 18-135 and I just ordered the 50mm 1.8. I've wanted this 50 since I bought my camera and just have not ever decided to pull the trigger.

Thinking about adding the 85 or 100 fixed. Or a 70-300. Price and with my my girl hopefully playing some outdoor sport next year...the 70-300 is probably next for me.

Any budget lens you guys see has a must have? Doesn't have to be a Canon as long as it fits a Canon t4i.

Re: Canon Lens

Tamron and Sigma produce a pretty good product.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Bombino

We have a T5i and the 18-55 and 55-250 lenses (both are the EF-S ISM STM len's which have the newer STM motors and optical image stabilization), they were part of the kit that came with our T5i. While the 18-55 is common, usually the kits come with the cheaper 75-300 telephoto lens. The 55-250 was Costco's value "upgrade" for their customers. According to the reading I did online, this is actually a VERY big upgrade as the 75-300 is an old film lens refitted and reclad for DSLR. Apparently, because of this, it has some issues with CA above 200mm. I can't speak to this as I have not used the 75-300 lens, but I can say that I love the 55-250 lens. It has allowed us to get some REALLY nice zoom shots, shots that I never thought we could get beforehand. While certainly no zoom queen, it is very solid for capturing nice zooms in nature.

The best I can do for examples right now are some pics I took of Mt. Rainier from a hike my girl and I took back in August. Unfortunately, the zoom pic is not at full zoom and is after facebook did its thing (reduced resolution). For this hike we only took the 55-250 (there were several close up pics that the 18-55 would have been useful):

Picture from my cellphone, gives a rough idea of how far away the mountain is:

Picture using the 55-250:

I will confirm the zoom from EXIF tonight as well as try to get access to some other better comparison pics.

Rupp's Runt

I have the t4i. Lucky it came with the 18-135 instead of the 18-55. It has been everything I have needed, but I have wanted more. I know the 50 is great for the price. Oddly, I have talked a handful of people into buying it, but I have dragging my feet.

I have not priced the 250, but I will. I've priced several today and probably will go with a longer budget lens next. Unless someone here changes my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    We have a T5i and the 18-55 and 55-250 lenses (both are the EF-S ISM STM len's which have the newer STM motors and optical image stabilization), they were part of the kit that came with our T5i. While the 18-55 is common, usually the kits come with the cheaper 75-300 telephoto lens. The 55-250 was Costco's value "upgrade" for their customers. According to the reading I did online, this is actually a VERY big upgrade as the 75-300 is an old film lens refitted and reclad for DSLR. Apparently, because of this, it has some issues with CA above 200mm. I can't speak to this as I have not used the 75-300 lens, but I can say that I love the 55-250 lens. It has allowed us to get some REALLY nice zoom shots, shots that I never thought we could get beforehand. While certainly no zoom queen, it is very solid for capturing nice zooms in nature.

The best I can do for examples right now are some pics I took of Mt. Rainier from a hike my girl and I took back in August. Unfortunately, the zoom pic is not at full zoom and is after facebook did its thing (reduced resolution). For this hike we only took the 55-250 (there were several close up pics that the 18-55 would have been useful):

Picture from my cellphone, gives a rough idea of how far away the mountain is:

Picture using the 55-250:

I will confirm the zoom from EXIF tonight as well as try to get access to some other better comparison pics.
    Magnificent photo, Pedro, even with the restrictions you mentioned. Thanks for posting that. What a sight that must be to see in person.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Magnificent photo, Pedro, even with the restrictions you mentioned. Thanks for posting that. What a sight that must be to see in person.
    Thanks! Yeah, we are blessed with these views. Everywhere I look are beautiful mountain ranges. My drive home on the 405 basically has Mt. Rainier right in my cross-hairs for most of the drive until I turn into the city I live in. When turning in there, I get to see Lake Washington with the Cascades behind it backlit by the sunset. Pretty epic and way beyond my ability to capture via camera.

Though I still have to say my favorite views were in Portland. There was a park we discovered, that nobody mentions on ANY tourist blog. We discovered it by just driving up a hillside constantly taking turns until we reached the top. From this park you can see Mt. Adams, Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, and because Mt. St. Helens blew her top, you can see the top of Mt. Rainier as well. The latter blew my mind, because Portland is a 3.5h drive from Seattle and you can still see the top of Mt. Rainier.

I second the Tamron and Sigma lines. Actually Sigma over Tamron between the 2. I'm learning that camera lens are like wine. If you like it, get it. If it works for what you want to shoot, who cares what everyone else says?

I have my eye on the Sigma 100-400mm for $699 on Amazon. Hoping it comes down on their black Friday which is 17 November.
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Pedro, the 55-250 is the best non L lens that Canon makes for the money. I had one for years and traded it away to get the 70-200 f4 several years ago.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.