Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Re: Cheapside closed "for the winter?"

They might have been losing money during the times no one wanted to stand outside, which is probably all winter with the exception of couch burning events. It is curious though that she offered no explanation.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

They do most of their business on the patio no doubt, but the business scales well. they shut down the outside bars, leaving just the main bar and inside in the winter. I can't imagine it doesn't make money compared to closing completely, but you never know.

I'm stunned. I prop up that bar a LOT. I know most all the staff. Very worried, though that spot won't stay closed long if it does close.

Heck, I may become a barkeep....
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I figured it was closed for inventory while they were transitioning to the new owner, CitizenBBN. Figure he'd get his drinks at cost that way.

Don't laugh too hard. There will be an inquiry. That bar was founded by a guy who was a complete ass, it's a tradition I think i can carry on.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

From an interesting article in the H-L on the increasingly saturated Lexington restaurant market and related problems for the industry:

“You can’t add that many (restaurants) in less than six months and not have some carnage,” said Brian McCarty, co-owner of Bluegrass Hospitality Group, parent of Malone’s, Drake’s, Harry’s, OBC Kitchen and Aqua Sushi.

The bloodbath began last month, when at least four locally owned restaurants served their final meals. Another, Cheapside, has shut down at least temporarily.

Those won’t be the last to close, say several local restaurant owners.

“If you’re not doing well by the end of Keeneland, you’ve got a bleak winter ahead of you,” said Rob Ramsey, who owns four Ramsey’s Diners around the city. “You’ll see more restaurants close.”

Larry Adams, who closed Wines on Vine last week, was blunt: “You’ll see a bunch close over the next few months,” he said. “There’s a hundred hanging on tooth and nail.”
    http://www.kentucky.com/news/busines...183854406.html
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

It's true there are a lot of places that have opened, so we're due for a cleanout, but there are other factors.

lexington is an eat out town, has been forever. So there's a lot of demand, but a lot of the restaurants that have opened also have positioned themselves as premium places, some of them not backing that up.

A lot of them are high priced without the high service and quality (see Tony's here in town, that is really expensive but everyone says is worth it for what they deliver), and those are going to struggle.

Cheapside is more due to the owner's place in life and some management stuff, not so much their customer base or inherent profitability. It's true they are a lot less busy in winter, but they'll be fine. They just need some adjustments.

But several newer places are packed a LOT, and what they have in common is they have lower price points and fairly approachable food.

But yeah, a LOT of places have opened in Lexington in the last couple of years. We have beer pubs coming out our ears. No doubt the market is VERY competitive right now compared to 10 years ago. 10 years ago downtown you had Cheapside and 3-4 other places and that was it.

Remember Z Sub Pub on Patchen? That's where I met Mrs. Catfan73 about 28 or 29 years ago.

Wow has it really been that long?
    changing my signature to change our luck.