Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Dan/camera equip guys...replacement part for tripod?

Dan/camera equip guys...replacement part for tripod?

I have an old, heavy metal tripod my father-in-law gave me 20 years ago. He probably had it 20 years before that, and I think it is long-since no longer made. But the company still makes tripods. I think it's a low-end company, but the tripod has served me well, and I really like how it is made of real metal, heavy, etc. It's a Velbon PH-156.

Anyway, after our soccer game last Saturday, a thrilling 2-1 (14-7?) playoff win to put us in the Final Four for next week, I guess I was excited about the late goal that won it, and as I collapsed the tripod, when I lowered the middle column down to the base, I neglected to turn the knob to tighten it. Not a big deal, unless you decide to thereafter carry it upside down on your way back to the car, on concrete, and watch in horror as it slides out of the tripod legs, and the plate breaks off from the rest of the head. User fail big-time.

My first attempt was to repair it. I have "sugrued" it, but I don't think it will hold. It's a clean break, and the sugru worked well to affix it. I taped it overnight to make sure it didn't move, and this morning, it looks fine, but I don't think it is more than temporary.

My preference would be to replace the plate, but I don't know of any place that might have the replacement plate for this. I believe I can remove the plate from the head fine--it has a knob where it can be rotated from horizontal to vertical, and if you remove the knob, it appears the plate will come off fine--but I don't know of any place that might have the plate (preferably one that fits the shoe).

As I understand it, the panhead for this tripod is not meant to be removed/replaced, so that's not a great option. But I bought a tripod pan head anyway in case I can't get a replacement plate. I think I can use the tripod pan head on top of the 10-foot tall "light stand/tripod" I bought for the Yi action cam as a worst case scenario for this coming weekend.

So my options are:

a) Repair the plate. I have made my first attempt with Sugru. Probably won't hold. It is so far, but nothing has been placed on it.

b) Replace the plate. That would be my # 1 option if I can find it.

c) Use the new tripod pan head I purchased to use with the "light stand" that I use as a tripod.

d) Hack the Velbon tripod somehow to remove the entire pan head and replace it with the new tripod pan head i purchased.

e) Replace the column of the tripod with another column, then put the new tripod pan head on it.

I think b) and c) are my only real options, but if you can think of anything else, I'd appreciate it.

Re: Dan/camera equip guys...replacement part for tripod?

http://www.tripodquickrelease.com/Ve...k_Releases.htm

I assume that the "plate" you are talking about is the plate that the camera mounts to that allows for quick removal of the camera from the tripod head. Correct?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I'm sure I'm mangling this. It's not the plate thing that screws into the camera. It's the thing that thing sits in on the tripod itself.

It is not this:

Instead, it's the thing here that is circled in red. If the camera is sitting on the tripod inside it, you can rotate it 90 degrees sideways. The thing that rotates 90 degrees sideways is the thing that broke.

tripod.jpg

UGH!!!

My tripods have heads on them that are interchangeable, but I think you said that the one on this set of legs is not meant to be removable. On most tripods that I have seen, the adjustable post that the head mounts on has a 1/4x20 threaded stud sticking out of the top that allows one to either mount the camera directly to the adjustable post or to allow one to change the head type being used.

in your picture, it appears as if the uppermost portion of the head rotates 90 degrees in a vertical direction. If you rotate it up to its uppermost position you can look down at the top of the sliding post, correct? If so, then do that and see what you see. The top of the post likely has a plastic cap inserted into it and may have degree markings on it. See if you can pop that cap out of the post and let me know how that goes.
    seeya
    dan

I'm going to go home early today and will take a pic of it to show you in various configurations. I think I will try to rotate it, although it puts pressure on that part (whatever it is called--the "landing spot/securing/holding part for the plate") when you rotate it, at least initially when you turn it (although not much). I do that so I can see the bubble to level the tripod, which is on the middle/top of what is underneath it.

I'll post/show pics later.

I think it's a mess, UNLESS I can replace that part. There is one screw holding it in, so it can be replaced (I think), if I can find a replacement.

You can buy a complete head with cheap tripod attached on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Velbon-Vict....c100677.m4598
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    You can buy a complete head with cheap tripod attached on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Velbon-Vict....c100677.m4598
    Hmm. It doesn't really look like the same thing, but maybe it is just a different color. I guess as long as it fit when I took it off and put it on mine, it would be ok even if it looked different, but I'd be concerned.

Plus it would be $41 just for the "landing" part (when you add in the shipping). I may have to spend that for it anyway, but I'm not anxious to gamble it not knowing if it would work.

I kinda wish I had just bought this yesterday instead of ordering the separate pan head and trying to fix what I have as well.

https://bham.craigslist.org/for/d/be...327096594.html

The guy told me it comes with the head. I don't know if this is a good price for it, but it seems like a good price.

I liked this one for $75, too. It did not come with the head, though.

https://bham.craigslist.org/pho/d/bo...341122457.html

I bought this pan head because I rarely use the handle anyway--I generally have my hand on top of the videocamera, and move it gently that way.

https://www.amazon.com/GkGk-Rotation...70_&dpSrc=srch

My idea was to put it on the light stand and use it. I may still go that way. I love the idea that it can go up as high as I want it to go, but if I used it that way, I should have bought one with a longer handle....since I'm not like 7'0 tall.

I think my only option is to cold weld it. The Sugru did not hold, as I expected.

See?

Darrell, I used to have one of those. I think I still have it here. If I do I'll send you the whole tripod. Seriously, it looks almost just like that and I know it holds that kind of plate. Definitely a Velbon.

I'll have to think where to look for it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I cannot find anything on the interwebs to help. If the cold weld does not work out for you, imo the next step is to find a way to remove the entire head from the post and put on the head you purchased.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Darrell, I used to have one of those. I think I still have it here. If I do I'll send you the whole tripod. Seriously, it looks almost just like that and I know it holds that kind of plate. Definitely a Velbon.

I'll have to think where to look for it.
    I cannot find anything on the interwebs to help. If the cold weld does not work out for you, imo the next step is to find a way to remove the entire head from the post and put on the head you purchased.
    Guys, I appreciate it. The more I look at it, the more I think one dose of cold weld and if that doesn't work, time to upgrade anyway, but I appreciate your help and offers!

I loved the tripod... I don't know how many pounds it weighed, it is heavy... But all good things come to an end. Wouldn't be the worst thing to put on my Christmas list for something nice, lighter but just as strong, etc.

Looks like I can replace it for about $40 on eBay.

I"m sure there are better out there now, but you really are welcome to mine. I'll throw it in a box and ship it down.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Maybe not. Not the same one, but looks similar.

Just checked basement and around the office here and didn't see it, but I still think I have it somewhere. Going to think about it a bit.

Oh, if you find it and aren't using it, I'll pick up the beverages when I'm in town. Wait. I better set a limit, I don't want to spend that much. OK, the first round. Or two lol.

I'm going to get by this weekend with the light stand/tripod device with the new pan head and hopefully a repaired cold weld tripod for the two games I'll be recording. But I'll be honest--I've kinda gotten used to the old, heavy vintage metal ones. I'll probably grab one off eBay when I see a good deal. I haven't seen my exact one, but Velbon apparently made some very similar models--the legs look identical, it looks heavy, etc. They just look better to me, feel better to this old guy.

Cold weld being purchased tonight after class.

The panhead I purchased will be in tomorrow.

Will get out the light stand/tripod, the ballhead mount I previously purchased to go with it, and give that a try tomorrow to make sure it works ok. That will be what I use this weekend if the cold weld doesn't work.

(I have three very, very cheap tripods as well--but they are so bad I wouldn't want to put anything on top of them. The panning motion is jerky and not smooth, and they are flimsy as they can be. Just not a good backup option.)

This is the product I recommend using

Loctite Epoxy Plastic Bonder
    seeya
    dan

This is the product I recommend using

Loctite Epoxy Plastic Bonder
    Will that work with pot metal?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Will that work with pot metal?
    Never tried it on that. Always used JB Weld on pot metal
    seeya
    dan

Never tried it on that. Always used JB Weld on pot metal
    That's what I'm going to use. I call it cold weld, but it's the same thing. Or, at least it is to me.

Edit. I should note that the broken pieces actually metal, and not plastic. Then tripod is heavy as it can be because they made everything out of metal.

Looks ok this afternoon. Top looks good, nice and flush and level. I put the JB Weld on it, then used regular cellophane tape just to hold it in place. I probably should have used duct tape or something a little stronger. I may have put more JB Weld on it than it needed, as although the top looks good, the bottom looks like it has a small gap in it (filled by the cold weld, so it's not like it's air--it's still solid. But not flush on the bottom, which seems surprising).

I am going to put a think layer on the bottom portion of it, overlaying the gap area and filling it in (if there's anything that needs filling in) tonight and call it good. I did a decent job of cleaning off the top when I did it last night, so I don't think it will hinder the quick-release plate at all.

In the meantime, I should be getting the pan head in today from Amazon for the light stand tripod so I can give that a whirl as well. Between the two I ought to be able to get through the weekend fine.

In the meantime, I have decided I am going to look for a replacement tripod, but I'm going to go old school and look for a similar heavy metal tripod. I'm not sure I trust my JB Weld permanently, even if it works.

Just my thought on shopping for a older style tripod is check out all the pawn shops in your area.
    seeya
    dan

Dan, that's a great idea. I'll do that at my leisure. In the meantime, I did pick up an old Velbon VEF-3 one from eBay this morning for $24.99, free shipping, no tax, in excellent condition. It's not the same, and I don't like it quite as much as the one I had (the handle is set up for left-hand panning rather than right-hand--I know you can just move, but I'm funny that way), but it will do for that price.

My JB weld did not hold. It lasted the first match on Saturday, which was almost 2 hours of recording. But before I began Sunday I noticed it looked "wobby." Sure enough, it was coming loose.

I went to my backup plan, and did not like it at all, although it got me through the game. The panhead and adapter for the light stand/tripod just didn't work as well as I had hoped, so I am going to ditch that as my "backup."

For now, I'll wait for the eBay tripod to come in, and use it in the meantime. When I have a few minutes as I'm passing a pawn shop, I'll stop in and take a look. I love the idea of being able to put my hands on something older and look at it, pick it up and hold it, etc. The next one will be one where the handle will be set on the pan head for the right side. I have hundreds and hundreds of hours of video done that way. It's sort of hard to change (I did yesterday, as the pan head was set for left-hand on it, too.)

If it is aluminum you can take it to a welding shop and get it tack welded back together for $10 to $15.

That's a great idea. I have the tripod and the broken piece, and I'll just keep it in the car for now until running across something like that.