Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Yay! Estate and Gift Tax limit raised for next year to $11.2 million per couple

Yay! Estate and Gift Tax limit raised for next year to $11.2 million per couple

No estate tax due on any estate of less than $5.6 million per person, or $11.2 million per couple, for 2018. That is an increase from $5.49 million in 2017 ($10.98 million per couple).

Also, the gift tax annual exclusion (the amount you can give away every year, per donee, without using any of your exemption/credit) has increased to $15,000.

As an example, let's say you have a 75 year old married couple with 3 children, all married, and they have 3 children each (9 grandchildren).

If that 75-year old couple wanted to start making gifts, and begin the wealth transition from their generation to the next (and the one after), and had a taxable estate (let's say they were worth $15 million), rather than paying taxes, they could begin a gift-giving program.

This year the annual exclusion is $14,000, but we'll pretend it's $15,000 for easier math (as it will be January 1). Since this is late October, it's a great time to consider this.

They give $15,000 to each of their three children, maybe as a Christmas gift. Or better yet, give them $30,000 in two checks, with one of them dated January 1 so it can't be deposited until after the next year begins.

That's $30,000 for Child 1, Child 2, and Child 3. There's $90,000 distributed tax-free, without using any of the credit.

Then they do the same for Child's Spouse. Spouse 1, Spouse 2, and Spouse 3. Another $90,000.

And the same for Each of the grandchildren--for 1 through 9. That's another $270,000. So we're at $450,000 in the matter of a few weeks transferred gift and estate tax-free.

But wait--that's just one of them. 75-year old Grandfather and 75-year old Grandmother can each do this. Or they can elect to gift-split, so they don't have to each write a check. Regardless, now instead of $450,000, it's $900,000 transferred without using a gift tax credit, reducing the estate tax potentially due.

So we've taken the $15 million down to $14 million. Only what is over $11.2 million is taxed. So we'll have $2.8 million to worry about over the next few years. But we can continue to do the annual gift exclusion year after year. Won't take long.

(And of course, I should have said they had a net estate of $15 million. Any liabilities would reduce the taxable amount, possibly to zero already. And expenses also can be deducted of the estate).

I used to do a lot of estate planning. There are a lot of things you can do besides this simple gift-giving program (also includes selection of gifts--if you can figure out the assets that will appreciate in value, those are ideally suited to give away. Plus membership interests in family limited liability companies, or family limited partnerships can let you discount the value of the underlying assets by 30-40% because of lack of marketability and lack of control when gifting minority interests. Just all kind of cool things).

Anyway, when I started, the estate and gift tax exemption was $600,000 per individual. Plenty of people who owned a house, a 401(k) or other retirement, and maybe a little life insurance had need for estate tax planning.

Today? Not so much. I need more clients in the $15 million and up range. But I suspect soon we won't have to worry about the estate tax or gift tax, as it will go away. The estate tax has been eliminated three times in our country over the years, and I think the 4th time will be coming soon. Will probably return sometime, but maybe not in my working lifetime.

Re: Yay! Estate and Gift Tax limit raised for next year to $11.2 million per couple

Oh thank goodness, I was right on that line this year. NOT. lol

I don't know if it will go away or not. Many want it gone but IMO it's not worth the political chips. Ask for it to be gone, but it's one of the first things I put back in to get other things I want. But that's just me, and I'm so far below the exclusion a lottery win wouldn't get me there.

It doesn't raise much money, and there's a lot of money spent to deal with it, but the optics don't help much with elections. Eliminating Cap gains does a lot more for a lot more average income people, but I focus on more pure middle class areas if I'm approaching this politically.

They may also just raise it substantially, to say $30 million or something, leaving only the half of one percent to deal with it.

But only half of this country even pays any taxes anyway, despite government growing like kudzu, the system is getting so imbalanced we can't sustain it anyway. In that sense this is all just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Re: Yay! Estate and Gift Tax limit raised for next year to $11.2 million per couple

Tax reform conversations suggesting the changes may result in 401k contributions being limited to as low as $2,400. It’s $18,000 now with extra $6,000 “catch up” for those over age 50 ($24,000 total). Really hoping this doesn’t come to fruition.

Can’t tax it if it’s going into a 401k.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Trump tweeted yesterday that the 401(k) won't be touched. It would be very unpopular with the key middle class voting group, I don't see it happening even without the tweet.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Darrell, in light of the news on 401(k) deductions Citizen posted (which is very good news IMHO), do you still think they'll raise the estate tax exemption to 11.2 mil?
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Darrell, in light of the news on 401(k) deductions Citizen posted (which is very good news IMHO), do you still think they'll raise the estate tax exemption to 11.2 mil?
    Yup. That was automatic. Cost-of-living/inflation type of thing already announced by the IRS in Rev. Proc. 2017-58.

Congress could always "fix" it, but I don't think so. It's going to go away soon enough, IMHO.

EDIT--just to be clear, I think the WORST outcome for the estate tax exemption is that it will rise to $11.2 million. The BEST outcome is that it will be eliminated. I don't think it will happen this time, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Trump tweeted yesterday that the 401(k) won't be touched. It would be very unpopular with the key middle class voting group, I don't see it happening even without the tweet.
    Glad to see that tweet. I agree it was unlikely, but you never know!

Quote Originally Posted by KSRdallen View Post
    Glad to see that tweet. I agree it was unlikely, but you never know!
    The problem is if we unburden the middle and upper class, no one is going to be paying much tax. Half the country pays no taxes at all now, and many of those get a welfare rebate (earned income credit) back from the IRS just for breathing apparently.

I'm all for fewer taxes, but it has to come with less spending, and no one wants to hear about cutting their benefits either.

I'm taxed to death. I say spread the love around or start letting able bodied people work and not draw on the government dole, but I'm getting tired of being in the wagon pullers while the wagon riders group gets bigger and bigger.

This. The equation isn't balanced right. Spending has to be addressed as well. The problem is that people may be able to agree on the notion of this, but no one wants "their" project to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post

I'm all for fewer taxes, but it has to come with less spending, and no one wants to hear about cutting their benefits either.

This. The equation isn't balanced right. Spending has to be addressed as well. The problem is that people may be able to agree on the notion of this, but no one wants "their" project to go away.
    Yep. Cut all those benefits, except mine!

Fab Five

Tax reform conversations suggesting the changes may result in 401k contributions being limited to as low as $2,400. It’s $18,000 now with extra $6,000 “catch up” for those over age 50 ($24,000 total). Really hoping this doesn’t come to fruition.
    While I certainly took advantage of all of the features of the 401(k) plans in which I participated, there is an obscene amount of money not being taxed in this country. $2,4000 is way too low of a contribution level, but $18,000 is way too much. Anything over 6% favors the rich and further divides the haves from the have nots in this country. The plan needs to be reigned in to some extent. Lowering the limits would be a good start.

What i totally favor is eliminating the exemptions for state taxes. While that proposal is likely a non-starter, fairness would say a cap on that deduction would be fair. I'm tired of subsidizing the taxpayers in CA and NY by paying a larger share of my income in Federal taxes.
    Real Fan since 1958

The gummint picks a lot of winners and losers in the tax code. As a general philosophical principle, I don't like that. On a personal level, I selfishly don't want them coming for my perks (mainly mortgage interest, retirement contributions and charitable donations) unless they're taking everybody else's, too.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19