Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Slickdeals.net, Black Friday Deals, and more

Is it just me, or are they really stretching the definition these days of what a great deal is?

I peek in on Slick Deals from time to time, have a few "deal alerts" that I receive emails on if they come up, etc. But as I skimmed through this morning, I was struck by just how many "deals" are there than seem no better than what you'd get if you just walked into a store and paid regular price. Or the "slick" deal is a slight deal, not a slick one?

I view "slick" deals as those crazy kind of deals....your dash cam that normally sells for $99 is selling for $49 for today. You have a set of 4 tires that are $130 off, on tires that don't normally go on sale. Get a free Echo dot if you sign up for a free business account.

That kind of thing.

Not, smoke detector, $33.99...list price $49, but always sells for....$33.99.

Seeing a bunch of that these days. Or a "20% off" thing. Well, I guess if you were looking for it already, it's nice that it's 20% off, but that's not the "slick" deal I think of.

Is it just me? Or am I the only one that looks at these deal type of places?

(Black Friday--similar, in many respects. Some still great deals, IIRC from last year, but others not-so-much.)

Bombino

Re: Slickdeals.net, Black Friday Deals, and more

There is a lot of spam going on anymore on the deals sites. Vendors push non-deals and drive up the votes as a means to generate traffic. As always, you have to do your research.

Re: Slickdeals.net, Black Friday Deals, and more

Great point about the spam and shill-posting.

I had a "deal alert" a couple of days ago for a power bank--always interested in picking those up for cheap when they are good ones. I've got 5 kids with electronics, and my wife and I, so those things are relevant.

Anyway, the "deal alerts" are not perfect, and I got an alert on a rechargeable heated winter vest for $79.99. Heck, it caught my attention -- I will be sitting outside in December, January and February watching my son's soccer games, and being out in the cold for 3 hours (pregame included) can be uncomfortable.

So I looked at it quickly on my phone, didn't look bad, made a note to go back and look at it later in more detail.

It disappeared. I found it later through google cache, and the best I can figure, it was a self-promoted type of post that wasn't really such a deal, so they booted it. Just a guess, but that's what I thought. Saw where it only had 15 total reviews on Amazon; didn't check to see if they were real or fake, or whatever.