Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Ghost stories

Ghost stories

Okay let’s kick this thread off. It doesn’t have to be a ghost story or even a brush with the supernatural; maybe it’s just something that made your hair stand on end....I prefer to think of my encounter as being with more of a “spirit” than a ghost.

My story is very personal to me and I swear it is 100% the truth. My dad passed away about 5 months after doctors discovered cancer. My son was 17 months old at the time of his passing. In happier times before dad got sick we all would always try to get my son to call him Papaw but he was too shy and would never say it. Ever. Well after Dad passed we headed to West Liberty for the funeral but first dropped off my son at my wife’s parents’ in Lexington. After the service we headed back to Lexington for the interment at Calvary Cemetary then went to the in-laws and picked my son back up and drove back to Louisville, arriving around 6:30 in the evening. The boy wanted to watch a Pooh video or something so I turned on the basement tv and prepared to pop in the video when he turned toward the corner of the room—there was nothing there but a table with a lamp—and did the little kid’s wave bye bye with the palm up and said “Papaw”. I couldn’t see what he saw. But I know as sure as I’m sitting here my dad had somehow come to say goodbye to his littlest grandchild. I’ve never doubted anything since that moment and have no fear of what comes after death. It’s not the end.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Re: Ghost stories

That's a great story, Catfan73.

I don't have a true "ghost story," but I have a really good story that touches on the area. I mentioned it before when there was a story in the news about a car burning up, but a Bible being untouched. I gave a Bible to my third cousin, Gene (my Dad's age) when I was a kid living in Paducah. Long story short (I will link to the original story, with pictures of the guys I mentioned), Gene (his given name was "Jasper," and my dad called him that when I quoted him in the thread)--was traveling back home across the bridge in Paducah. He had declined to go to the District Finals with my Mom and Dad in Hickman (in a small world setting, JazyD here was at the very same District Final game my Mom and Dad attended that night).

We never saw Gene alive again, as his car burned up in a one-car accident. Everything in the car was burnt to a crisp.

Except the Bible I gave him.

It was on my nightstand for many years, and a few years ago I gave it to my Dad. I suspect I will get it back one day.

Here's the original thread and story with a few more details and pics:
    http://www.kysportsreport.com/forums...ene+king+bible

Ok, maybe a little more so people won't have to go back and read.

My Dad's comments about the accident (Jasper and Gene are the same person). My Dad was telling the story to my cousin Debe. Aunt Jane was my Mom.

Jasper was killed in a car wreck 2 months later in Paducah, Ky, Saturday night, the finals of the District BB tournament at Hickman. Your Aunt Jane & I drove from Hopkinsville to Paducah, had lunch with her sister & H & Gene, then 4 of us,(Gene backed out at last second - he was in my car) went to the game without Gene.

There was some suspicious stuff surrounding the accident. Gene declined to go to the game, saying he had to go collect some money people owed to him in Brookport. It was on his way back that the "accident" occurred. Don't know what that was, but it probably wasn't your normal business transaction. Gene was a good guy, but he ran a little wild, and wouldn't have surprised me if it had been something related to loan shark-ish, or maybe a gambling debt. Anyway, a detective told my Dad that he had an injury to the back of his head before the car left the bridge and struck the levee, but there was no investigation back then that I know of.

My cousin Debe said that she had been told he had been killed, placed in the car with something on the accelerator and the car was supposed to go off the bridge. It's been a long time, so memories may have faded, but those stories remained pretty consistent over the years. If the car had gone off the bridge, but not struck the levee, I'm sure the Bible would never have been recovered. Instead, in a car that was literally burnt to a crisp, somehow a Bible was absolutely perfect. I wish I had it in my possession now to take a picture of it to show--cover is fine, pages are fine, zippered cross is fine.

Here's a pic of the characters:
    My Dad is the one wearing the trench coat, "Columbo" (that was his nickname during the height of the Columbo TV series, given to him by co-workers). Next to him on the right (his left) was Gene. Next to Gene was my Uncle Dan, Jr. (my dad's brother), and on the far left of the picture was Gene's brother, Brownie (Harold) King.

Very cool Darrell. Thanks for sharing!
    changing my signature to change our luck.

I have a complete belief in ghosts. Don't know how it works, but yeah there's more out there. I can't say as I've seen one, but I've had some close brushes, at least it feels that way.

I'm not worried about life after death. I'm pretty worried about where I end up when I get there.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.