Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Coach Cal on Bball Scandal

Nervous Nellies...coming out of the woodwork...R-E-L-A-X

Cal handled himself better than I would have, in dealing with Lipton.

IF THE FBI, or NCAAA, had ANYTHING, on Cal and the Cats, it would have been the lead story/investigation!!! I can guarantee you, that Cal has enforced the rules to a "T", & has taken ZERO chances with kids. He KNOWS that he will ALWAYS be under a microscope! That's what has him soooooo ticked off right now. NEARLY EVERYONE, INCLUDING BBN, just "ASSUMES" that UK HAS to be involved in this somehow!!!

IT ABSOLUTELY INFURIATES ME, EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT!!! WE ABSOLUTELY PAY OUR PLAYERS.................ON FREAKING DRAFT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freshman

I agree. I think he was more upset by the questions and trying to move on. I personally wouldn't read anything into it. Just before the exchange with Tipton, he had asked everyone to ask questions about the team as the questions had all been about the FBI situation up to that point. Then Matt Jones (I think) asked him if he would miss having Pitino as a rival. That pissed him off and then he asked again if they could just talk about his team. It was at this point that Tipton decided to aggravate him further. And I do believe Tipton asked his question specifically to upset Cal because Cal said he only wanted to discuss his team.

His response was not what it could have been, but in that context I think that has nothing to do with some desire on his part to hide information but rather on his anger at Jones and then Tipton.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    This is me. I think Cal had the opportunity, at a minimum, say "I am not aware of any illegal or improper payments for recruits and players that have played or committed to play for the University of Kentucky". That is a simple statement that would have at least said if there were any, he was in the dark about them.

I will not lie, not answering has me concerned.
    Now that would have sounded defensive.
    Don't panic

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Now that would have sounded defensive.
    You are exactly right.

I am not shocked that UK fans are "concerned" over some answer. It's a question that CANNOT be answered with assurance. Just can't.

THIS IS WHY IT WAS NOT A GOOD QUESTION.

THIS IS WHY WHEN CALIPARI ALREADY ANSWERED IT, THE JACKASS QUESTION SHOULD HAVE JUST BEEN IGNORED.

I have had hundreds, maybe thousands, of opportunities to answer questions on my feet, including ones like "are you still beating your wife," which is somewhat analogous to this type of proving a negative question. You try to be clever, you try to be genuine, you try to be reassuring--and some faction will read it differently. ALWAYS. I can't do it. Cal can't do it. Nobody can.

VirginiaCat proposed an answer that he thinks Calipari should have said. Catfan73 said that answer would have concerned him.

Bingo.

You think Calipari is dumb? He likes to talk, but his marketing degree and ability to communicate understands time and place, and his "No Comment" (that's what he ended up saying in response to Jackass Tipton's question) was perfect.

I would've have dignified the question, just said "next question," and let the "HOF member" -- Pat Forde immediately came to Tipton's side with that comment--flap in the wind.

One of the twitter followers described it correctly:

"HOF media member was told politely that cal was not answering a question. HOF media member asked same question in a different way."

The HOF basketball coach should have just said "Next." There is a 100% guarantee any answer would "concern" BBN members in a place when it was absolutely unnecessary.