Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unforgettable

Coach Cal on Bball Scandal

UK media day was today and this is from that:

"What's out there right now is a black eye," Calipari said. "None of us know where this thing's going. I don't know where all this is going. Obviously what happened to this point isn't good."

Also, and perhaps more importantly:

Calipari said no one has reached out to Kentucky yet regarding the federal investigation.

"We haven't been contacted," he said. "The NCAA hasn't contacted us."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ege-basketball
    Last edited by Bakert; 10-12-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    "Calipariís Young Blue Machine marches on, slashing and burning and winning."
    - Bill Simmons.

Rupp's Runt
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Re: Coach Cal on Bball Scandal

Cal had a tense exchange with Jerry Tipton. Cal didn't want to talk about it in any way. Can't say I blame him. But would have been happier with a more open and less guarded statements.
    This will be a day longer remembered. It has seen the end of Pitino and will soon see the end of Louisville. September 27, 2017

Wow. I appreciate his bluntness and did not see it coming.

On the second part, would he hear from the NCAA first rather than the FBI?
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

I think this is making everyone tense right now....even for those that "think" they are completely in the clear.

Peace

Richard (CW)

Rupp's Runt
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Badrose,

Who know for sure. But as the FBI investigation is what is driving this scandal, the criminal charges would come from the FBI. I'd like to think that no one on our staff have pocketed money steering players a certain way.

As committed as Cal has been to the player first theme, I can't see our staff doing that.

I'd also like to think the NCAA won't be able to get us on serious violation either.

I do wish Cal had been more open about this. I have not watched but he seemed frustrated by this conversation. Maybe because of the perception Cal has in the media.
    This will be a day longer remembered. It has seen the end of Pitino and will soon see the end of Louisville. September 27, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post

Calipari said no one has reached out to Kentucky yet regarding the federal investigation.

"We haven't been contacted," he said. "The NCAA hasn't contacted us."

Uh Oh....that always scares me. Thats like a coach saying he isn't going anywhere or an AD saying our coach isn't on the hot seat.

Seriously, I've said it before and I'll say it again that I have zero concerns.

I'm a unitasker living in a multitasker world

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    Badrose,

Who know for sure. But as the FBI investigation is what is driving this scandal, the criminal charges would come from the FBI. I'd like to think that no one on our staff have pocketed money steering players a certain way.

As committed as Cal has been to the player first theme, I can't see our staff doing that.

I'd also like to think the NCAA won't be able to get us on serious violation either.

I do wish Cal had been more open about this. I have not watched but he seemed frustrated by this conversation. Maybe because of the perception Cal has in the media.
    Or maybe because of Jerry Tipton. I'm not too worried about a scandal at UK.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Jerry Tipton is a straight up A$$HOLE....100%. "This is a media day, not a coach day". What a SOB!

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2017/10/1...-john-calipari

Peace

Richard (CW)

Unforgettable

"Calipariís Young Blue Machine marches on, slashing and burning and winning."
    - Bill Simmons.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    Jerry Tipton is a straight up A$$HOLE....100%. "This is a media day, not a coach day". What a SOB!

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2017/10/1...-john-calipari

Peace

Richard (CW)
    I have defended Jerry Tipton plenty of times. Plenty of times. I think he's talented and hard-working. I genuinely like the fact that he'll dig for a story.

But there are lines. He has crossed lines before. Things like lying about seeing Patrick Patterson drive off in his new truck. Embellishing or inventing the truth to fit his story agenda.

He did it again today in a different way. Just a jackass.

FWIW, Cal handled it expertly. He told him to ask. Tipton wanted to hear himself talk more, so he persisted in explaining why he wanted to ask even after Cal said ask, and Cal again told him to ask.

So then Tipton made an assumption in his question as if it were an axiom, and Cal called him on it. Tipton's response was that "well, fans can do....blah blah," and Cal called him on that again. Then Tipton said, "well it's been reported," and Cal just retorted something like, "oh, that makes it true."

Side note--I despise the fact that the media seems to be rallying around the jackass, as if him pushing forward after being asked not to makes him a hero. They are all using that as part of their stories, tweeting it, etc. It reminds me of some criminal being given publicity by using his name in a story, except nothing Jerry Tipton did today was noteworthy.

It doesn't. It makes him a piece of garbage.

"Its Douchebag day...first question for you Jerry"

I'm a unitasker living in a multitasker world

I wasn’t worried before but now I’m really not worried. Nothing to see here.
    Don't panic

1. Jerry Tipton making himself the story
    2. Seeking this headline: "Calipari denies"

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

I REALLY wish Tipton was the beat writer covering Alabama football. Him pressing Saban on ANYTHING would be worth the price of admission.

Darryl

Super Kitten

Why not just say "next question" everytime Tipton asks one. The fan base would love it and I cancelled my LHL subscription a long time ago because of Tipton and mostly Joel Pett.

Tipton had every right to ask, even if he knew Cal wouldn't answer. But the way he did it was inexcusable. He intentionally made himself the story.

All you have to do is say "Cal, I know you'd prefer not to discuss it, but I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't ask."

Instead, Tipton got shrill and pissy and made it about him.
    Last edited by dtalbersjr; 10-12-2017 at 09:39 PM.

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Is the Herald Leader still owned by a UNC fan/grad?

Darryl

Freshman

+1 on dtalbersjr. Tipton as a journalist has every right to ask the questions because everyone thinks Cal cheats. Well, besides us...

Ok so he's an asshole. Tipton considers himself a journalist rather than a sports beat writer. He wants to be the one to uncover the ****. He wants that Pulitzer prize or the Murrow prize or whatever they get. But he does have the right to ask.

I agree that Tipton made himself the story by being a jackass in the way he handled it. I agree it is fair game to ask a question... Up until the point when the one holding the press conference, who had already touched on the issue, said he'd take questions then about his team. Tipton not only tried to make himself the story, he was late to the party.

That's not journalism. Any idiot can be rude and fail to follow directions. And one did.

Rupp's Runt

I did not like Cal’s reaction to the question. He was very defensive to a very predictable question.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    I did not like Calís reaction to the question. He was very defensive to a very predictable question.
    I didnít like the reaction either. My 18 year old son saw the video before I did and said, ď he acted almost defensive ...Ē

Hopefully nothing but I agree with my son.

I did not like Cal’s reaction to the question. He was very defensive to a very predictable question.
    I agree the question itself is legitimate. I also believe the descriptions of Tipton and his motives are legitimate as well. Iím hoping Calís reaction is the frustration of being looked at as guilty until proven innocent. If itís more something else, then Iíd be concerned.

Unforgettable

He said the NCAA had not contacted UK, he didn't mention the FBI unless I missed it.also didn't Kansas AD say they had not been contacted ? Until everything is clear, I am nervous

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    He said the NCAA had not contacted UK, he didn't mention the FBI unless I missed it.also didn't Kansas AD say they had not been contacted ? Until everything is clear, I am nervous
    Good point, I noticed that as well. In fact I would not be surprised if Cal has been contacted by the FBI. Every kid in the report we either walked away from or did not offer, I sure they were asking why. I have no source whatsoever, just giving my opinion.

He shouldn't have to be contacted by anyone to know he is clean.
    Just an odd way to react really.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Uh Oh....that always scares me. Thats like a coach saying he isn't going anywhere or an AD saying our coach isn't on the hot seat.

Seriously, I've said it before and I'll say it again that I have zero concerns.
    I think you have to watch it to truly gain the context. It was really more of an exacerbated Cal stating the obvious versus some hidden concern.

Nervous about what? After all Cal and his staff have done some still believe he and his staff is on the take for a few K. Please.

He sounded more perturbed than defensive to me.
    Don't panic

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    Cal had a tense exchange with Jerry Tipton. Cal didn't want to talk about it in any way. Can't say I blame him. But would have been happier with a more open and less guarded statements.
    This is me. I think Cal had the opportunity, at a minimum, say "I am not aware of any illegal or improper payments for recruits and players that have played or committed to play for the University of Kentucky". That is a simple statement that would have at least said if there were any, he was in the dark about them.

I will not lie, not answering has me concerned.

If nothing else, Tipton made himself the star of the show again. This was on Sportscenter last night!

This will likely get headlines over the UNC announcement today.

Peace

Richard (CW)